Considering an Oliver for full-timing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Considering an Oliver for full-timing

Hello!

I currently use my RV as lodgings for my out-of-town work. Generally, I spend the week in my RV and drive home (in my car) for the weekends. I leave my trailer at the campground and get a monthly spot. I've been doing this for several years and it's working out pretty well.

What is not working out is my 5th wheel trailer. I'm not exactly enamored with the quality of it, and it just seems too huge and full of junk I've accumulated and don't use.

So I'm considering downsizing to something high-quality, that can be ready to go just about anywhere (I never know in my business), is compact, and can withstand winter conditions.

I'm pretty impressed with the Oliver - the build quality, the compactness.
I like the batteries, solar, tank sizes, etc. The kitchen seems big enough, as does the bath. My biggest concern is insulation. Can it stay warm enough - all indications from what I read is yes, but there are no numbers to back any of it up (like R values).

Sorry my first post is so long. Some advice would be appreciated, as well as any tips for full-timing in a different style RV for me. Thanks!
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Where do you camp for the week? Generally in the South Carolina area I think you shouldn't have any problems/

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

South Carolina
No, that is home. Currently I'm near Pittsburg.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #4

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Ron, if memory serves me correct I believe the insulation that is installed in the Oliver is around R-10, it is a product similar to Refectix but I can't recall the name of this stuff off hand but it is widely used in the Marine industry. To that you could probably add some additional R value for the double hull shell which creates a dead air space between the inner and outer shells but your guess is as good as mine what it would calculate at. How this compares with traditional rigid foam insulation is also guess work.

It is my understanding these trailers do very well in cold weather indeed. I was convinced enough to put a deposit down on one before leaving the factory back in Sept during the tour. Your are correct the Olivers are built like nothing else I have seen thus far. They are not everyones cup of tea presumably, but we were certainly very impressed. Having been inside a number of the larger 5th wheels I echo your thoughts and concerns about them, definitely not my cup of tea either. Although Escape makes a very nice one and much smaller too.

We are not full timers and probably never will be but I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to use ours once its built in that vein. I can easily see my wife and I using it for a few weeks to a month or so at a time. Its unlikely anyone makes the absolute perfect camper but for us the Oliver comes as close as anything we have experienced, and we have spent years looking too.

Hope this helps

rob
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

South Carolina
Thanks for the input Rob.

I talked with them on the phone yesterday, and got some assurances, but also I wanted some feedback from real users before I pull the trigger.

They did say I could order with an "arctic package" which would be some additional 3M insulation and a heat pipe to the tank/pipe area. I'll probably go for that extra cost item just for peace of mind.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #6

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Thanks for the input Rob.

They did say I could order with an "arctic package" which would be some additional 3M insulation and a heat pipe to the tank/pipe area. I'll probably go for that extra cost item just for peace of mind.
Interesting, this is the first I have heard of the arctic package. Might have to look into this given our location here in MT. Certainly sounds like something worth considering though.

rob
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The Oliver is lovely trailer but another brand to consider in regards to quality and withstanding various climates is a Bigfoot if you have not already looked at them as an option - they currently come in 17' 5", 21' and 25' lengths.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
...They did say I could order with an "arctic package" ...
I was talking with Robert today and he mentioned the "Artic Package" consisting of more/different insulation in the upper hulls. We didn't get too deep into the details as they were leaving for the LBL for a few days.

I'm certain the Oliver can fulfill your needs. We've had two Olivers and could not be more pleased.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ron, I live in York, Pa and own an Escape 21' trailer with winter protection packages. It has double pane windows, extra insulation and sealed holding tanks. Send me a p/m if you can swing by and take a look
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Hi Ron,

I have a 2008 17' Ollie and in January of 2010, I was camping in the Big Bend of TX when the "Mother of All Cold Fronts" trapped Oscar the Smiley Dog and me in single digit temps for three days with a wind chill of 6 below. Brrrrrrrrrr!

My trailer does not have the high tech stuff they currently use, yet inside the trailer where Oscar and I were, it very warm using the propane heater. The water to the bathroom froze, but I had running water to the kitchen sink by opening an access hole to that area from under the bed. I was camping with a couple of Casitas and we all had water issues at those temps. We were able to "flush" the toilets by breaking through the ice of a cattle water holding tank and filling up a bucket of water LOL!

The new, longer Ollie's furnace is between the outer and inner shells which makes it very quiet during operation. The cold weather option has a duct which can open between the two shells near the water heater and tanks. I wish I had that during the freeze of 2010.

The hardest thing for me during the deep freeze was getting Oscar to go out and "do his business". He had such a pained look on his face when I said it was time to go out. No heating system could have cured that problem . . .

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #11

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Ron

Have you been over to the Oliver Forum? Oliver Forums • Index page
Lot of good information over there.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Ron,
If you haven't gone to Hohenwald and toured Oliver's factory and seen how they are made, I would suggest you might want to do so. Everything in the Oliver is accessible (all wiring, plumbing, etc) and all hardware is top quality. And I can tell you they track very well. Even the fresh water, gray water, and black water tanks are readily replaceable, even though they are installed between the outer and inner FG shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #13

Name: Kelley
Trailer: Wilderness
Ohio
Thinking along the same lines

My wife and I are also considering Oliver for full time. Did you take delivery of your trailer yet?
Masterstilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #14

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Ron,

If you like 5th wheels, don't rule out the Escape 5.0. Very high quality, beautifully made trailer.

The Escape 5.0TA

Good luck,
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #15

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterstilll View Post
My wife and I are also considering Oliver for full time. Did you take delivery of your trailer yet?

Not yet. Sometime in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #16

Trailer: Wilderness
Ohio
What bed option and add ons did you choose?
Masterstilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #17

South Carolina
I went over that in the other thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #18