Recommendation for COE Gull Lake when visiting Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Recommendation for COE Gull Lake when visiting Scamp

On a recent trip to Scamp to have an awning installed, we wanted to spend some time around Backus and randomly picked the Corps of Engineers' Gull Lake campground as a base. What a great choice! Sites were large and wooded with sufficient understory to provide a good bit of privacy. $26 for electric ($13 w/senior pass), clean showers and restrooms, beach, boat ramp, fishing, trails and awesome staff. A special treat for us southerners were the loons calling back and forth each night. Maybe a forty five minute scenic drive from the Scamp factory. If in the area, be sure to visit the nearby State Park where you can wade in the Mississippi River's headwaters.

And the Fiamma awning is much easier to deploy and retract than our old Catalina 2500 - I just hope it lasts as long (17 years). Plus, everyone we met at Scamp was extremely friendly and made us feel welcome. We saw a beautiful 19D that was to be picked up this week. If the new owner is on this board, you've got a winner.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Al, glad you like your awning. We spoke about it a few weeks ago when Scamp was trying to come up with a work-around for the Fiamma shortage. I had a hunch you'd like it. I know we were happy with ours.

We're headed up there next week to pick up our 16D. Were going to try to make it to Ironwood in MI's U.P. that night, unless we get out too late. I know it won't be the last time we visit Backus, so I appreciate the Gull Lake COE heads up. We plan to leave the tanks and plumbing dry until we get down to FL in January. I'd rather check all the systems out near the factory, but I'm trusting Scamp to get it right. They haven't let us down yet!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post

And the Fiamma awning is much easier to deploy and retract than our old Catalina 2500 - I just hope it lasts as long (17 years). Plus, everyone we met at Scamp was extremely friendly and made us feel welcome. We saw a beautiful 19D that was to be picked up this week. If the new owner is on this board, you've got a winner.

Al & Cindy,

Congrats for n your new awning. My Catalina 2500 met with a wind accident this summer and I'm considering an upgrade to the Fiamma. I'm curious, was Scamp able to use the original Catalina mounting brackets when attaching the Fiamma or did they have to drill new holes in your fiberglass?

Thanks
Ken
Old 10-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Tom, good to hear from you again. I'm sure 'next week' has been a long time coming and equally certain it will be well worth it. If you're using I-95 to get to Florida, you'll be within twenty miles or so of us as you pass through Rocky Mount. Feel free to get in touch if you should need anything while in the area.

Ken, I'm not sure. I had completely removed the old awning prior to my trip to Backus as part of the problem with the Catalina was metal fatigue in the mounting brackets. The rear one had completely separated and the middle was almost gone. Only the front mounting point was solid and, as you may know, it attaches directly rather than with a bracket on the 19's (not sure about a 16').

Scamp either used some or all of the holes from the old mounts or the new brackets cover them completely as I don't see any 'extras'. Its a very clean install. FWIW, Scamp includes the brackets if you buy a new awning and there is no installation charge.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Thanks Al. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I appreciate the offer Al, but we'll be taking I-75 and later I-65 down to Pensacola on the way down to FL this winter. Maybe our paths will cross at some time, hopefully sooner than later. I'll watch for the 19 with the snazzy Fiamma awning. Thanks again,

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, scamp