UHaul rims - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
UHaul rims

With all the comments I've read about uniqueness and limited availability of UHaul rims, I've often wondered why folks wouldn't be changing out the hubs or axle, when it needs it, to one that accepts a common sourced rim.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
With all the comments I've read about uniqueness and limited availability of UHaul rims, I've often wondered why folks wouldn't be changing out the hubs or axle, when it needs it, to one that accepts a common sourced rim.
They used hubs from a 1980 Chevy Citation, never had to repack and you can still buy them at your local parts store. Not sure but I think they used the rims too.
If I recall they were only a few mm positive offset, narrow rims, probably a common GM rim throughout the eighties.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:56 AM   #3

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Dave,
Good point. Floyd is right--there was a Chevy hub that was a bolt-on replacement for the U-Haul .
And, some have replaced the whole axle with a new one [Dexter, maybe?], that then gives more options. [though wheel offset still is a fussy point]
Hubs don't often fail on the U-Hauls, apparently.
And U-Haul is now making new wheels available, on eBay I think, though they're not always available..... some folks have had to wait a while before the next batch comes along.
My $.02's worth..........
Gary
Old 12-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I think it was certain years Camaro or maybe Lumina hubs, depending if you want the original 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern or the more common 5 on 4 1/2 pattern. Only one or two known hub failures but it's a good idea to periodically inspect the sealed hub for any play or roughness when rotating the wheel. No brake option on the original CT axle unless it is converted to the Uhaul surge brake system. Otherwise the whole axle has to be changed
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
interesting you learn the darndest things here!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:48 AM   #6

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Tom Griebe just posted this over on the Facebook forum:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23516006-U-...item28344d9e6b

I believe they were about $69 each, with another $8 for s/h.........

Tags
uhaul