New Tow Vehicle Recommendations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Having driven the truck for years I have never thought of the truck as long as it is ONLY 2 ft longer than a standard long bed crew cab.

Parking is a breeze. Especially when you use the "Touchy and Feely" method as others tend to move!
Great truck if you need one, but the fact is...
Quite simply, there is no standard automobile parking spot which will fit that truck.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
yeah, pretty much have to park in a pull through double space... grrr, the newer supermarkets around here have landscaped islands in their parking lots, so there's almost no pull through parking,

my long bed supercab is 21' bumper to bumper, an extended crewcab, phew, that must be like 26' long or something.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #23

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
And looks like an 8' bed too...never seen one that long. I can't imagine trying to turn into a parking spot in that thing. Probably tows nice though.
my long bed supercab (extended, not crew) has a 158" wheelbase and a 57' turning circle, thats already way too big.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #24

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We just bought a new Mazda CX-5 Touring (crossover CUV), for well under $30,000 after driving a 10 year old, 175,000 mile Subaru Legacy sedan, which we loved. The Mazda will tow 2,000 pounds, just right for our 13' Scamp. We had a local "hitch expert" install an after-market hitch and a new (to us) kind of "remote" brake system. We love the drive as we sit up high (no more scraping the hitch on bumps and such) and have great storage in the hatchback. We did convert from manual to automatic but the Mazda will switch to manual as well as "Sport" modes, when wanted. Since we are both older now, manual shifting in urban and suburban settings has become too cumbersome with our sometimes aching bones. We can hardly wait to tow our trailer and go on our "first" camping trip. We'll report back to you.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #25

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have no recommendations for a tow vehicle except to say that your Silverado would have filled the bill for me .
It did in all aspects except being an automatic and getting horrible fuel mileage. Wonderful truck that I loved, just didn't like seeing the gas needle move while driving. I have all diesel vehicles; 2 VW TDIs that get 45+ MPG and are 5 speeds, 1 VW TDI that gets 35+ MPG and is an auto (would convert to 5 speed if I was keeping it) and 1 Isuzu 3.1L diesel 5 speed that gets almost 30 MPG. I am not a fan of automatics or vehicles that waste gas when I know their are options out there to do so much better. I use the vehicle for far more than towing, so it has to be efficient in other aspects.

The Silverado was a gas and an auto.... just not my thing. I am wiling to try it again if I can get up above 20 mpg on something. I won't buy new because I won't have a payment, so this will be a cash purchase.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:23 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not many trucks realistically crack the 20 mpg barrier, at least not by much, and probably not when towing.

I have heard some promising reports of highway mileage in the mid-20's for the Ford F-150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost engine and bazillion-speed automatic (kidding-they keep upping the number of forward speeds). Not cheap.

Tacoma and Frontier are decent compact trucks for towing an S-19, but neither is noted for great gas mileage. Is a V6 available with a stick shift in either one?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, pretty much have to park in a pull through double space... grrr, the newer supermarkets around here have landscaped islands in their parking lots, so there's almost no pull through parking,

my long bed supercab is 21' bumper to bumper, an extended crewcab, phew, that must be like 26' long or something.
My entire rig (TV & trailer) under 28'
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #28
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Tacoma and Frontier are decent compact trucks for towing an S-19, but neither is noted for great gas mileage. Is a V6 available with a stick shift in either one?

Nissan makes the Frontier V6 with a 6 speed manual only in the 4 door crew cab version. They are hard to find but not impossible to get. Most likely dealer swap.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My entire rig (TV & trailer) under 28'
Sorry to hear that . Being length impaired can be overcome
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #30

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Don’t forget payload capacity. I have A 1/2 ton PU, pull a Casita17’. Well within tow capacity but have a fiberglass shell and bed slide on the truck, 5.7l engine, 4x4, 4door, 2011 Tundra. I carry typical camping stuff . But I am well over my payload capacity.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #31

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The 2018 F150 with max payload package has a payload as high as 3,200 pounds and a tow rating of 13,200 pounds. To me, this is incredible for a half ton pickup. With the 3.5 Ecoboost, its a towing machine that gets good fuel economy.

Since I would likely prefer the Super Crew version, max payload is "only" 2620 pounds. With the 5.0 V8 you can get up to 2900 pound payload.

Compares very favorably to my 2010 F150 with a 1475 pound payload......
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #32

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The 2018 F150 with max payload package has a payload as high as 3,200 pounds and a tow rating of 13,200 pounds. To me, this is incredible for a half ton pickup. With the 3.5 Ecoboost, its a towing machine that gets good fuel economy.

Since I would likely prefer the Super Crew version, max payload is "only" 2620 pounds. With the 5.0 V8 you can get up to 2900 pound payload.

Compares very favorably to my 2010 F150 with a 1475 pound payload......
wow, that exceeds my 2002 F250 SuperDuty 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel extended cab ("SuperCab" in Ford parlance)... it has about 2000 lbs payload and 12500 bumper tow, 8800 lbs GVWR, 20,000 lbs GCWR.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Having driven the truck for years I have never thought of the truck as long as it is ONLY 2 ft longer than a standard long bed crew cab.

Parking is a breeze. Especially when you use the "Touchy and Feely" method as others tend to move!
"Parking is a breeze." Looks like you could just push the Prius out of the way with that behemoth!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:51 AM   #34

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Thanks for all of the discussion. I know it is slightly off from my criteria and I ended up with a new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Wonderful truck.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:03 AM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
Thanks for all of the discussion. I know it is slightly off from my criteria and I ended up with a new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Wonderful truck.
Cool BJ, sometimes the early ideas just don't end up working out in the end with the big picture. From what I've read on that truck it comes across as a good model. Give us a real world report on it after a couple thousand miles and a few tow trips.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #36
Mcm

Name: MCM
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Selling larger tow vehicle

I, too am selling my larger tow vehicle- 2013 Ford Expediton. Awesome, capable, but dont plan on towing that frequently that I need this big rig on a daily basis. Going to buy a small fiberglass trailer, but researching the best smaller tow vehicle. Dont want to be unsafe with inadequate vehicle. Considering ridgeline or smaller truck? Dont want big payments either. thanks Mike
Mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Personally, I would wait until I had found the trailer before I downsized the vehicle. The Expedition is a big vehicle to be sure, but unless you end up with a really small trailer, you may find the extra margin of performance and load capacity nice to have.

At least when towing, a smaller vehicle generally won't give any better fuel mileage; it will just be working harder.

Last I checked, Expeditions were pretty reliable, too.

Normally I don't advise overkill in tow vehicles, but in this case, since you already have it...

It'd be an expensive mistake to locate a really nice trailer and find it's not a good match for your just-purchased, smaller vehicle. You can always find a vehicle. Trailers are harder to come by.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #38

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a 2011 Tundra 4x4 with tow package and 5.7L engine. I pull a 17' Casita. No problems towing. But I am about 600 lbs over my payload capacity.

In my opinion I don't carry much, just basic necessities.

Keep the Expedition and use it for at least a few thousand miles of towing and a couple of weeks/month of camping.

Then you will begin to understand what Jon in AZ is saying.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Personally, I would wait until I had found the trailer before I downsized the vehicle. The Expedition is a big vehicle to be sure, but unless you end up with a really small trailer, you may find the extra margin of performance and load capacity nice to have.
Yes, towing is easier when the tow vehicle has already punched a hole in the wind that is as big or bigger than the trailer's profile. Of course, living with a bigger rig the rest of the time isn't always optimal.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #40

Arizona
Registry
That's almost impossible with a non-folding trailer having full stand up headroom. Even my small, low clearance Scamp is about a foot taller than my Pilot, which is not a small vehicle and rated for more than twice the Scamp's weight. And I can really feel it when pulling into a headwind.

The effect of frontal area is often overlooked when considering trailers and tow vehicles.

Tags
eco