Escape vs Bigfoot towing ? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #61

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Bigfoot
South Dakota
Jon:

As far as the ride goes, I think the Bigfoot has a smoother ride. No instrumented testing, but stuff in the Bigfoot seems to stay put better. Will probably know more as we travel with her.

I'll try to post a comparison when we have good Internet and a little more time with Sassy. Very briefly, Sassy (Bigfoot) feels like a tiny house. Great for luxury and full time travel. Dora (Escape) is a very nice small trailer for short (several month) trips and easily getting into small campgrounds. Sassy is wider, heavier and longer. Dora is narrow, light and fairly short. Both are very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
Hugh, Now that you've purchased your 25RQ, what do you think? How is it compared to the Escape?
Box Elder, SD
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #62

South Dakota
Jim:

That would be interesting. But so far all the information is subjective. You'd need some instrumentation, same tow vehicle(s), and the same roads. Then compare 19 to 19, 19 to 21, 21 to Bigfoot, etc. Don't think we'll ever get this though.

I'm confident our 19 is working correctly. I suspect the subjectiveness is getting in the way. I've read many posts about Escape owners strapping door and refrigerators closed. So saying there are no issues isn't true, in general. "Flying around" could be a overstatement on my part, I suspect you, I and everyone has found the right mix of storing away.

But it would be interesting.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I never had any issue with stuff flying around in my Escape 19, nor do I in the Escape 5.0TA, and I have driven a lot of rough roads. If this is happening, I would definitely look at why one specific trailer has this happen, and not much for others.
Box Elder, SD
Old 09-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #63

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Pat:

We did. Life moves fast around here. After looking at Bigfoots in Spokane we decided to get a 25' Rear Queen Bigfoot. Then Denise remembered an email she received about one for sale. Amazingly it was still for sale after two weeks. Put a small amount down and started driving to Los Angeles. Picked Sassy up the end of August. As with our Dora (Escape) we bypassed all the stress about which options to get. (But it does have most of the options we wanted.)

We'll have the 19 up for sale in a month or so. Need to stop traveling long enough to clean her and advertise. Traveling full time we can't justify keeping both.
Currinh ,so excited for you and Denise ! Much better for fulltiming . Besides Oliver always liked Bigfoot . Way back would of liked their camper . Almost could of had a trailer too. Another forum member is chopping at the bit to change to Bigfoot I know of from their 21 .
Anyway hope your at Quartzite so we get to see . Safe travels !
Pat and Linda
PS we too have had things flying around even though we are careful to stow things away ,
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #64

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2019 Bigfoot 25 foot rear twin
Maine
Escape vs Bigfoot Towing

We have owned a 2019 Bigfoot 25B25RT for 8 months now and it tows like a dream with no apparent problems despite our extremely rough roads up here in Maine. Not new to RVing, but new to towing a trailer and we were quite apprehensive, but now are reassured and think we made a great decision with the Bigfoot. We tow with a 2018 GMC 2500HD The tire loading label calls for 60 front and 75 rear. We are running 60 front and 60 rear and running the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires at 60 with trailer lightly loaded. Have not had a chance to weigh yet, but will on way down to Florida for the winter and then will adjust accordingly.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #65

South Dakota
Pat:

We should make it to Dome Rock for a day or two. We're spending the winer in Brenda, some 20 miles away. Look for a Bigfoot with South Dakota plates.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
Currinh ,so excited for you and Denise ! Much better for fulltiming . Besides Oliver always liked Bigfoot . Way back would of liked their camper . Almost could of had a trailer too. Another forum member is chopping at the bit to change to Bigfoot I know of from their 21 .
Anyway hope your at Quartzite so we get to see . Safe travels !
Pat and Linda
PS we too have had things flying around even though we are careful to stow things away ,
Box Elder, SD
Old 09-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #66

South Dakota
Bob:

I agree. We've now pulled out 25' Bigfoot from LA to Quartzsite unloaded, then Quartzsite to the North Rim (Kanab). Not much experience yet but.

The ride in the Bigfoot seems smoother that the Escape. Less belongings are displaced at the end of the day. But for pulling they are both dead solid. Pulling the Escape with our RAM 2500 diesel was no problem. We would forget it was there. The RAM is about as wide as the Escape. Hills (mountains) were casually noted but nothing slowed us. Usually got 14-15 mpg. The Bigfoot also pulls with no problem. It is wider so requires more concentration and to have the mirrors folded out. The weight on the Bigfoot is noticeable on hills (mountains), doesn't slow us down but the RAM has to work a little harder. Seems we're getting around 12 mpg, but not much info yet.

Both have a weight distribution hitch. That on the Bigfoot has a built in sway damper.

We're also very pleased how well the Bigfoot pulls. I think a 3/4 ton pickup is the right choice. The Escape is light enough that a lot of vehicles will work. We pulled ours for years with an XTerra.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Maine View Post
We have owned a 2019 Bigfoot 25B25RT for 8 months now and it tows like a dream with no apparent problems despite our extremely rough roads up here in Maine. Not new to RVing, but new to towing a trailer and we were quite apprehensive, but now are reassured and think we made a great decision with the Bigfoot. We tow with a 2018 GMC 2500HD The tire loading label calls for 60 front and 75 rear. We are running 60 front and 60 rear and running the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires at 60 with trailer lightly loaded. Have not had a chance to weigh yet, but will on way down to Florida for the winter and then will adjust accordingly.
Box Elder, SD
Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #67

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Pat:

We should make it to Dome Rock for a day or two. We're spending the winer in Brenda, some 20 miles away. Look for a Bigfoot with South Dakota plates.

Thanks.
We probably will come in on Fri and stay until Mon. Can’t wait Hugh ! Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #68

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
towing

We have owned an Escape 21, currently own a Bigfoot 25RQ. On both campers I run recommended tire pressure from tire manufacturer, we use the same 3/4 ton truck for both campers. I can say we never had a problem with anything moving around in either trailer! The bigfoot seems to tow smoother but it is wider, took some getting used to. Yes the Bigfoot has shocks, don't know the amount of travel.

With torsion axles I have seen an instance where someone had used a floor jack under the axle tube to jack up the trailer, this did cause a small bend in the tube and did restrict movement, something you may want to check.
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #69

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
We have owned an Escape 21, currently own a Bigfoot 25RQ. On both campers I run recommended tire pressure from tire manufacturer, we use the same 3/4 ton truck for both campers. I can say we never had a problem with anything moving around in either trailer! The bigfoot seems to tow smoother but it is wider, took some getting used to. Yes the Bigfoot has shocks, don't know the amount of travel.
is that the tire pressure the company recommends for the axle weight of the trailer or the 'MAXIMUM PRESSURE' number printed on the tire sidewall, which is the pressure at the tires maximum load ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #70

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
pressure

I don't remember the tires we had on the Escape but I do remember the pressure recommended from Excape matched what the tire sidewall recommended for cold pressure. The Manual for the Bigfoot 25RQ doesn't give a recommended tire pressure. It just says that to ensure maximum safety the tires are to be inflated to the maximum tire cold inflation listed on tires sidewall, it has Goodyears would have to look to be sure of size. It is true that the listed pressure is for that tire at its max weight carrying capacity. If you know your trailers loaded weight you could adjust that, most people out there don't.

If your that curious I believe Bigfoot has all their manuals online where you could take a look.

Different makes different recommendations. Now the truck itself is a different story.
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #71

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
if you end up using higher load rated tires than original, the sidewalls will have a max higher pressure ... I put load range E tires on a truck that asked for C, the tires said like 80 PSI, but the truck recommended 55 PSI or something. if I put 80 PSI in them on that truck, it rode really harshly. Now, my F250, it says to use 70 PSI on the back tires (which are range E).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #72

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
I've now towed the Bigfoot 25RQ enough to chime in here. The trailer itself definitely has a smoother ride compared to the Escape 19. Stuff doesn't seem to get rearranged as much on moderately bumpy roads.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the tow vehicle. The much larger trailer requires a stiffly-sprung truck and a much bumpier ride compared to a unibody SUV with independent rear suspension.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #73

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I've already said it, but I'll say it again. My Bigfoot tows great. I haven't pulled another travel trailer, but the fact that I've never had to post here about a towing issue seems to say a lot.

I've had my hitch height in a few different places as I learned how to set up for towing correctly. When I bought the trailer and drove it home, I just hooked up and drove from Canmore AB to MT. I noticed the trailer sort of "floating" behind me. I later realized I probably had very, very little tongue weight. All the same, there was no sway, no problems.

I've since set things up to have the trailer almost perfectly level, very slightly nose-down. I probably have a bit more tongue weight than my truck would like, but it tows great. I have an anti-sway bar but I've stopped using it unless I see crazy winds forecasted, and actually if there are those kinds of wind forecasted I'll try to avoid towing.

I have a gallon jug of water that sits on a counter, up by the front window. It's never fallen...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #74

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I've never owned an Escape but have owned a Bigfoot. The Bigfoot towed great except for the fact that they are wider than other fiberglass campers that I have owned. The extra width creates a lot more wind resistance. Of all the trailers I've had the Bigfoot offers the best layout and storage capacity so you have to determine if the extra space is important to you. The best towing trailer by far was a Bonair Oxygen that I owned. It was 6' wide and very aerodynamic. On the other hand the Bigfoot was 8' wide and towed like I had a parachute tied to the back of the truck.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #75

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yep. Especially with my 3.4L V6, any headwind and I'm in trouble. But for now, the space is absolutely worth it.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape