Another Burro Axle Upgrade Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Another Burro Axle Upgrade Question

All,

I've read countless posts about planned and at the time of posting, recent 13' Burro axle upgrades (the Andy B and Mike Shackleford Burro reno projects come to mind) but I haven't stumbled upon any "I've been running the new axle for a year and I love, hate, wish I had done it differently" posts. I'm in dire need of an axle replacement and would love to hear from the guys/gals that have already done so. And yes, I'll be going with electric brakes. Look forward to your responses.
nomadicitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #2

Name: Samuel
New York
I replaced the axle on my 13' Burro a year ago with a Dexter axle with electric brakes. So far I've put 2k miles on it with no real issues.

The only small issue I had is the rubber plugs on the end of the self-greasing hubs were pretty low quality. Ordered replacements from Amazon no problem. I should note that I didn't want the self-greasers, but the axle dealer ordered them without my asking for them.

I opted to leave the old axle in place since it was leading and my new one was trailing. I just cut off the ends. I'm not sure if this was a good decision or not; my thoughts were for adding strength to the frame, giving myself a place to jack that wasn't the new axle, and lowering the center of gravity - though this does make the trailer heavier.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
samuelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #3

New York
Btw the trailer does ride quite a bit higher now (which is what I wanted) - I could dig up my ordering sheet for Dexter if that would be helpful.

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
[QUOTE=samuelm;602899]I replaced the axle on my 13' Burro a year ago with a Dexter axle with electric brakes. So far I've put 2k miles on it with no real issues.

The only small issue I had is the rubber plugs on the end of the self-greasing hubs were pretty low quality. Ordered replacements from Amazon no problem. I should note that I didn't want the self-greasers, but the axle dealer ordered them without my asking for them.

It's my understanding, the only way Dexter sells axles today is with the EZ Lube feature. You do not have to use it, but it you cant eliminate it.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Samuel,

I am also in need of a
new axle for my 83 Burro,
If you could find your order
from Dexter that would be
most helpful. Thank you!

Bill
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
Burro Axle replacement

I replaced two of my trailers with Flexiride axles. They are fully customizable to length, brakes and bolt pattern and allow for 25 degrees of adjustment to make the trailer ride higher if you want. I changed the size of my wheels to 14" and it rides a bit higher now and smoother. Effortless to pull. I order the axle through Southern Wheel in Texas and was happy with the service!
Azur
Gogocamper
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #7

Name: David
Alabama
A big thank you to all that have replied.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
nomadicitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #8

New York
Another Burro Axle Upgrade Question

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1471386514.983792.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	98581 Here is my ordering sheet. The only thing I would consider changing is going to 10 degrees down if you didn't want quite so high of a ride height. Obviously measure yourself rather than relying completely on my measurements which were exactly right for my trailer. Also check your bolt pattern etc.

'79 Burro, Rochester NY
Old 09-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: Burro 17'
California
Registry
17' Burro axle replacement

I had the axle replaced by a local trailer shop here in San Diego - San Diego Trailer Supply. They did a great job. I chose a 15 degree down forward facing axle, 3500 lb rating, 10 " electric brakes, and upgraded to 14" wheels. The 13's that were on the original seemed too small for the trailer - I found out trailer weighs around 2700 lbs loaded for a trip. Took it for a 7500 mile road trip across USA and back across Canada then down to home in San Diego. Axle was great and the trailer brakes are awesome. Pulled with a 2002 Jeep grand Cherokee 6 Cylinder. I did not use overdrive while towing and I recommend that very highly. 2nd gear up over Canadian Rockies a couple times.

Interesting to note that I did experience the out of alignment aspect of the burro. The shop squared up the axle with frame but the trailer body is not square on frame so the curbside wheel well needed a bit of work to clear the bigger tire. Streetside was fine. Also it seemed the wheel well is larger on street side.

They told me that they checked original 7" brakes before removal of old axle and only one was working and it was marginal. The new brakes are great as I said before.

The trailer did settle during trip. It started out quite a bit higher than the original axle but has now settled down to about half the top of the tire is inside the wheel well.

Good luck. I am glad I had the job done for me by pros. Cost was about $1000 installed including axle cost.
shumiron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, burro