Bike Rack Advice for a Lil Snoozy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Missouri
Bike Rack Advice for a Lil Snoozy

We just purchased a 2017 Lil Snoozy and want to transport our bikes. Because of the rear door and step that swings down from beneath the bumper, it doesn't seem possible to attach our rack to the rear. Any experience or ideas?
John Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:56 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Well John, there are a few other locations. A rack mounted on the tongue, a secondary bike rack on the stinger, inside the TT or inside or on top of the tug. Although a rear TT mount might be done, it and the bikes would have to be removed if you wanted to get inside during traveling. One nice thing about an LS is it has a very wide isle.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dave has listed the possibilities. A fork mount inside the trailer or tug (if there's room) gives the best protection, security, and stable towing. A tongue mount is next best, but I don't know if the unique shape of the Snoozy leaves room. Roof of the tug is terrible for fuel economy and a pain to load.

They do make racks for rear mount that swing off to the side without dismounting the bikes. Two issues are (1) getting a secure mount to the frame, and (2) making sure the weight doesn't affect towing stability by reducing tongue weight. Those swing-away racks are pretty heavy.

What are you towing with, BTW?

No easy answers, which is why the topic of bike cartage comes up so often.

Folding bikes are another solution. Pricey, but so is a good rack system.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
How about one over each fender?
A small tray behind the fender (mounted to the frame and/or rear bumper) for the bike's rear wheel, and "fork mount" mounted linear on the fender to allow the bars to be inline with the bike frame. If the crankset is too wide, buy a couple of folding pedals or remove the inside pedal for transport!
This design would be solid and not add width to the trailer. the front wheels could be placed in a bag in the TV, the trailer, or even bungeed to the bike frame.
It would also be very easy to put the bikes on and off each rack.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Another thought...
Dahon folding bikes are about half the price of an entry level decent bike. Maybe racks designed to mount on each end of the bumper. One for each folded bike, leaving the door exposed for entry.

I can see either of these choices being solid, simple and easy to engineer. The bumper mount might require adding another set of tail lights, but then high mount LED taillights would be a big plus anyway.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my vote

I vote for on top of the tug! no fixing no weight worries.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Bike rack

Our Saris is great.

It has attached security cables as well as locking hitch pin.
We like it as we can easily transfer to the TV for rails to trails rides etc.

Trailer tongue bike storage was not an option for us as we needed a solid and secure rack for all purposes. It comes with the smaller receiver size and the 2" adapter which is what we use.

We do not have "Mega heavy" bikes so the 35# for the rack and 40 # for bikes is not an issue. Slightly need to rebalance front to rear load when towing. Not a big deal ... just means clothes bins are 18" further forward on the floor.

My $.02 worth.

Bat Dude
Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #7

Name: Dan and Liz
Trailer: LilSnoozy on order
Vermont
John- I'm new to this forum and this is the first time I felt like I had anything to offer. We've got a LilSnoozy on order and due for delivery in the May/June timeframe. Last summer when we ordered the trailer, I asked the same question at the factory. You might want to call Richard there and discuss this with him. They sell a component that is basically a small section of hitch receiver that mounts on the top of the trailer tongue behind the TV. You bolt it to the top of the tongue and then mount a vertical bike rack similar to how it would ride on the back of the TV. I've decided to wait until we actually get the trailer as we are also having a storage box mounted on the tongue where LilSnoozy puts their generator. I need to see how much space I have and whether the bikes will fit there or if I need to do something different. Post a picture of whatever you come up with and it might be helpful to at least me!
Dan and Liz in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #8

Missouri
Yes, we have one of the swingaway racks on our car now and they are great. Problem is the weight and that the pull down step beneath the door doesn't leave room for the rack.
Probably the inside the camper rack will be easiest. We are not tall people so the top rack wouldn't be good for us.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #9

Missouri
It seems to have a very long tongue. Currently the spare tire is mounted there but perhaps it could go elsewhere. We will have to look at that possibility.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #10

Missouri
We have a 2011 Murano rated for 3500 pounds so probably best to tow them inside the camper without adding the weight of a hitch. Our swingaway hitch is really heavy. Weight will be an issue until we buy a truck. But that is next year's budget.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #11

Missouri
We are too short! LOL.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #12

Missouri
Thank you! We will give Richard a call. I will post pictures of whatever we do.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I was thinking front bumper for ours
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Floyd, we don’t carry bikes yet, but I do really like your idea. I’ll try to keep that in mind if we ever go with bikes. Up until now I was thinking of folding bikes and just place them on the bed for travel.
Dave & Paul
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #15

Name: Brent
Trailer: Burro-1983
Minnesota
i have been looking at these for our burro, but not sure if it would work. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7479.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	116984
Brentshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 4 View Post
I was thinking front bumper for ours
They make a front mount receiver hitch for my f150. I’m thinking of installing one there.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy