Hi I am a new Trillium owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
Yes, it's definitely a Sportsman. Not factory back door, tail lights or windows.
The interior from the factory was completely bare - so this must be an an all custom interior by buyer or others. It is basically a 4500 shell modified around 1975. As I remember from that time, the only place for a serial number on a Sportsman was a paper decal above the left front side marker light. Probably not worth the effort to find title or license info - just call it 'home made'. (It really is anyway!)
Thanks! I was thinking that’s what we might end up having to do. It has obviously had a lot done to it over the years and we’re pulling most stuff out (we’re hoping to save the cabinets) and starting over anyways so it really will be. The shell has obviously been painted MANY times and is flaking in places, the windows leak and the benches were poorly built. I’m super excited about getting to work!
Kelly-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:13 AM   #22

Name: MJ
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
Looks like a fun project.

There is another member of this site, currently in the process of refurbishing a trailer like yours, but with the original interior. It is completely built out as a vendor/food service(?) trailer, but has some of the same cabinets as yours. Hers is also a Sportsman's model, sans rear door, with flip up windows there, and on the side

Look up the thread "Mystery Trillium" by Jude Lean on this site(FGRV), and Judiith Lean on Trillium Trailer Owners(TTO), over on Facebook.

On the FB site she has posted lots of photos of her work in progress. She seems to be most active on the FB site, and could prob. provide you with some info on your swell, trailer.

Hope you join TTO and post lots of pics. Best of luck.

MJ
gtblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:55 AM   #23

Name: MJ
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly-S View Post
Thanks! I was thinking that’s what we might end up having to do. It has obviously had a lot done to it over the years and we’re pulling most stuff out (we’re hoping to save the cabinets) and starting over anyways so it really will be. The shell has obviously been painted MANY times and is flaking in places, the windows leak and the benches were poorly built. I’m super excited about getting to work!
Hey there Kelly,

Wanted to add, several of the cabinets shown in your photos are original to that style/model of trailer, albeit, saddled with a less than desirable paint job. Should look like so-so fake woodgrain.

Since I don't know what your experience is with this type of trailer (molded fiberglass), I wanted to strongly recommend you do a fair bit of research, and have a plan before you remove, dismantle or tear out anything. Regardless of what direction you choose to take your diamond in the rough, it is important to know things, like, for instance, some of those cabinets are providing structural support to the roof, and if removed can create wicked problems. There are also some known defects, which should top your list of repairs.

I will also add, I am not the last word on Trillium rehab. I learn new, important and fun info about FGRVs every day, much of it from sites like this one. Definitely don't take just my word on anything. There's lots of great, and not so great(sorry), advice available, just be sure it is right for you.

Perhaps you know all this, so I'll just end with more well wishes and hopes to see your progress and the finished result.
MJ
gtblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:17 AM   #24

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtblue View Post
Hey there Kelly,

Wanted to add, several of the cabinets shown in your photos are original to that style/model of trailer, albeit, saddled with a less than desirable paint job. Should look like so-so fake woodgrain.

Since I don't know what your experience is with this type of trailer (molded fiberglass), I wanted to strongly recommend you do a fair bit of research, and have a plan before you remove, dismantle or tear out anything. Regardless of what direction you choose to take your diamond in the rough, it is important to know things, like, for instance, some of those cabinets are providing structural support to the roof, and if removed can create wicked problems. There are also some known defects, which should top your list of repairs.

I will also add, I am not the last word on Trillium rehab. I learn new, important and fun info about FGRVs every day, much of it from sites like this one. Definitely don't take just my word on anything. There's lots of great, and not so great(sorry), advice available, just be sure it is right for you.

Perhaps you know all this, so I'll just end with more well wishes and hopes to see your progress and the finished result.
MJ
We’re new to this but I’m trying to do a lot of research before jumping into anything big. The floor to ceiling cabinets will stay, as I had figured out enough to realize they were likely structural.

We pulled out the back benches, as they were not attached to the structure at all and we’re pretty crappy anyways. We have water leaking from at least one window so that’s where we’re starting - removing and re-sealing.

I actually joined TTO yesterday and Judith Leans trailer is a lot like ours, for sure. Thanks for the suggestion - it’s very close to what ours was, crappy multi-layered paint and all. Similar colours underneath and everything. Though ours obviously didnt ever have the big cabinets in the back. But seeing something that has more original components than ours has answered a few questions that I had.
Kelly-S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium