New Scamp 16' Compostable Toilet Conversion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

Name: Justin
Trailer: Ordered Scamp
Minnesota
New Scamp 16' Compostable Toilet Conversion

Hey everyone,

My wife and I just put in our order for a 16' Scamp that should be ready from the manufacturer by February. After doing a little bit of research, we really realized we would love to not have to deal with a black water tank. Looking around, we saw the option of a compostable toilet. Although not a perfect solution (as seen by many youtube video hours watched), we do think this may work better for us for boondocking and saving water, as well as the fact we live in MN which is a colder climate, which means we could get by without utilizing any of our tanks for short winter trips.

The installation of the compostable toilet looks pretty simple in comparison to the regular black tank setup. We asked if we could get the shower setup but without the toilet, as well as just a small hole for the 12v fan to vent + access to the wiring if at all possible. The answer was a pretty short and disheartening 'no'.

So, unfortunately, this means we will probably just get the regular black tank setup, but I have a couple questions for the community out there:
  • Has anyone had any luck with compostable toilets? In particular, using them within a Scamp?
  • How hard is it to convert from a regular setup to utilizing a compostable toilet? What is all involved?
  • We aren't exactly excited to cut into our brand new siding trying to try to get to the 12V power as well as creating a vent hole. Is there any options that are available that won't require us to make that type omodification?
  • Any other information? thoughts? comments? defenses of black tanks?...all would be welcome.

Thank you all for your help!

-Justin
justinrassier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
Simple solution

I've never had a compost toilet in my camper, but had them in my home for over 20 years. Most of that time I used Sunmar but the maintenance was too high. Six months ago I bought a Nature's Head at half the size, half the maintenance and half the price and they are incredible!
You simply cut an 1 1/2" hole in your wall, stick in a vertical vent that hugs the outside wall and plug it in. 15 minutes and it's usable (of course you have to seal the hole).
Maintenance is quite simple. A couple times a week of regular use by a couple you empty the urinal, and every 60 to 80 "deposits" you change out the peat moss- a 10 minute job. The fan is low energy and there is absolutely no smell. They have a very low profile about 20" x 20". They were designed for boats, campers and small cabins. I am a true believer and NOT affiliated with the company. Check it out: http://www.natureshead.net
Biasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
From our experience, just because you have a black tank does not mean you have to use it. Many (most) trips we don't use the on-board toilet at all preferring the other available options. I too am considering a composting toilet, but only for long term boondocking. I don't see it as an option for short trips.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #4

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
You've hit one of those 'hot button' issues; I'm surprised the poo isn't flying! Here's some info for what it's worth: It isn't hard to remove black tank and toilet, nor is it hard to install a different unit. I don't think there's enough room in an egg for a true composting toilet as the holding container part of it has to be big enough to hold all that goes in to it for long enough to get the composting process done, which could be weeks or months depending on environmental factors. If you only use your trailer a few days per month you might be able to do it, but if used more often or for longer periods you'll end up disposing of your waste before it has fully composted. What people mainly use is a urine separation toilet in which your urine goes into one container to be dumped appropriately (into flush toilet, pit toilet, or nature) while your solids (plus some wood shavings or other absorbent material) goes into a different container to also be disposed of appropriately (into your home compost pile or the garbage stream, where legal) to complete the compost cycle. While venting is helpful in speeding up the process through evaporation, it is not totally necessary, especially with the urine separation type units since there is much less moisture with the solids to start with. When used correctly there is not much odor, and it can extend your boondocking in situations where water or black tank dumping is the limiting factor.
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: Looking for the NEST
Ontario
Cool The Poo has officially hit the Fan or tank or somewhere

Am sure that as you have viewed the myriad of YouTube videos you have come to the conclusion that Composting Toilets Don't, Compost that is. You would need to remove the solids and place them in a Composting area of your home on an ongoing basis to truly compost the deposits! Having said that I would suggest the Air Head or the Natures Head. A couple of the Reviews that I have appreciated are with Fit RV (they are using a Class B Winnibego Travato) https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the...osting-toilet/ and Bob Wells on Cheap RV Living Composting toilet in a van
Seems to me Liquids and Solids separation is the big thing, and am not sure how difficult it is to remove tanks etc. My take on it would be to Repurpose the Tank as Grey!
ActionJ-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You could always arrange the black tank to be an overflow holding tank for grey water

For resale value you do not want to remove it all together unless you have a place to store it. Even if you don't plan on selling your trailer remember that "life happens" and physical abilities as well as financial circumstances are subject to change at a moments notice. Whatever you decide try to make any changes to the trailer reversible as far as the toilet situation goes.

As far as making changes to use a composting toilet. You can put a board or metal plate across the opening where the original toilet mounted securing it in place using the bolt holes from the original.

You will need to install some hold down brackets for the composting toilet, no clue as to exactly where they will go or how you will secure them as different models have different fittings.

Putting a small vent hole into the trailer is easy enough. You can always create a plug to put into an empty hole if you decide not to use it in the future.

Some composting toilets need electrical wiring for an exhaust fan.

The first place to start is to take the measurements of the interior of the bathroom and the measurements of the various composting toilets and see which one will best fit into your space. Hopefully you will have several options to choose from
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #7

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Cool

You could make this one fit.
Nature's Head Composting Toilets -- The Official Site
Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Or drag it behind on a small utility trailer.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Name: janie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Yes - converting to compost toilet!

I'm hoping to do the same type of conversion in my 16' Scamp.

The Nature's Head and Air Head seem pretty similar - the AirHead may need a little less space because the top doesn't hinge to open like the Nature's Head.

But I'm glad someone put this post up - would love to hear from folks who have done this kind of conversion.

J
jaefrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
interesting

I am contemplating a trip to Quartzite in Feb. to the big do. I have had some thoughts some I cannot reveal here sgain or I will get a ding!! I have talked about this, a huge drill to make a 4in hole, a uhaul 2 holer all met with some derision because they cannot take a joke.

We only run a 13f so we are sort of in a quandary I checked rates at the nearby campgrounds are expensive so I am still investigating this matter.

The p problem can be solved its the other that well gets sort of sticky!!

I will keep searching and thinking. If I get the mobile 2 holer I want the moon shape vent!!!

thanks for the post

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Illinois
We have a 13 Scamp. We opted for a C 'Head toilet. It works well for us, but you can't hide it in a small trailer. Do your research before you buy. It does start the composing process, which does take a lot of time.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #12

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We had a Scamp 13 that the previous owner had added a Natures Head I believe. Loved it worked great but we only did shorter trips.
Sorry for pics orientation.
Do you have pics of yours BobH?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0832.jpg   IMG_0830.jpg  

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
My Scamp 13 came to me with no installed toilet or shower, but it does have the privacy room (where the shower would be). When I got it it had a chemical toilet in the privacy room. I bought a C-Head toilet. Installation was simple, place the toilet where you want it, then screw the rubberized retaining clips to the floor - done. The C-Head comes with a ventilation kit, but it is not required. I have not installed it and have never experienced any odor. You do have to empty the urine container daily, or you'll get a urine smell. Very simple to do, since it is just a plastic milk jug.

I've had the C-Head for about a year now and I'm totally satisfied. I used it for 5 weeks in Florida last winter and only had to empty it once at the end of the trip. Again, no odors. The toilet comes with a ventilating lid for a 5 gal bucket that you can use to store the soiled compost material until you can get to a proper compost pile, which I have at home. This allows you to empty the toilet while traveling and not have to dispose of the "compost" in the trash as most folks do. That is where the biggest controversy comes into play, so I won't elaborate on that point.

To be fair, one drawback to using the composting toilet is that it is recommended that you dispose of the toilet tissue separately. The reason for this is to avoid having to empty the toilet as often - tissue adds a lot of bulk to the toilet. Some folks do add the tissue to the compost, no problem, but their toilet needs emptying much more frequently. I just use a zip-lock bag in a canister to hide it. I double bag it and dispose of it in the trash. It's not as gross as it sounds, but I'm a backpacker and in some areas this is the required method of tissue disposal, so not new to me.

I will say, that I use my on-board toilet for "emergencies or rainy nights only, electing to use other facilities when available and convenient.

I'm sorry to hear that Scamp will not allow you to delete the toilet from the bathroom. This is what I planned to do if I ordered a new one. Don't see why it should matter to them...
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Illinois
Kootenaigirl,

No pictures, our 13 Scamp is a big bed with no bath. We move the toilet about, during they the toilet sets against the closet, at night it sets against the door. While we are traveling it sets halfway under the bed. My wife and I do really like the taller height of this unit.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
the toilet

bob h your post makes sense as it is sort of emergency only set-up which is what we would need for Quartzite. As to the t/p serperation be thankful we live in America.

While in Portagul and Spain we noticed this t/p serpartion in bathrooms very strange I thought until you got out on their highways. The towns all use lagooons and all of them are a mess! I wont go into the smell as you pass by!

If BLM would only put some portapotties out for us we could figure out the rest! You comment regarding p could be sovlved with using the milkjug lids and dump them later at the stone toilets!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #16

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Just an update on my post above. I recently replaced my 13 foot Scamp. I bought a new, 16 foot, layout 4. When I bought my new Scamp I ordered it without a toilet, but with a shower. No problem for Scamp.

I originally planned to move my old C-Head toilet into the new trailer, but the buyers of my old Scamp wanted the C-Head left in. I have now bought a new C-Head and have it in the new Scamp.

When I picked up the new Scamp in Backus, the gentleman doing my walk-through was very impressed with how roomy the side bath shower was without the toilet - I agree. Since I have found that the C-Head needs no ventilation (it is optional), and the rubber latches make complete removal of the toilet a one minute job, my plan is to set the toilet out of the shower while bathing.

Point of my post was to let folks know that Scamp will, in fact, build their trailer with a shower, but without the toilet.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #17

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Composting Toilet

I installed a Natures Head in my Scamp 19 last year.

Easy to install

Works every bit as advertised

Wife and I love having to empty every 3 to 4 weeks in about a half hour wherever we are!

I though emptying the urine jug would be a drag but its easy and convenient.

Would do it again in a heartbeat!
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #18

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
My question is: how do you remove the commode and the tank from an older 16" Casita?
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #19

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Reviving Post

It’s been a few years so I wonder who of you have done the toilet conversion? Either to a Cassette Toilet or a Nature’s Head (semi)composting toilet (it’s only compost if you dig it into the soil, otherwise it’s trash, but I digress).. like many of you, I dislike dealing with the black tank. And was it easy to take out the toilet and tank? Are their any holes under the tank?
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
No Black Water!

Hello Justin,

I have been living in a travel trailer with no sewer connection
for a long time. Twelve years ago I needed a knee surgery and
realized the recovery period would not allow me to deal with
disposing of black water. Consequently, I bought and
installed a Nature's Head toilet. In my opinion the Nature's
Head is way mo bettah than dealing with black water. The
urine container must be emptied about every 3 or 4 days and