1975 Boler Complete Restoration....my once in a lifetime project! - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #201

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Back to protecting and hiding the wiring and electronics. "Junction boxes", split wire loom and a custom shelf in the closet and lower galley cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1550.jpg   IMG_1553.jpg  

IMG_1556.jpg   IMG_1557.jpg  

Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #202

Name: Ferris
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
We have a 17’ Boler and think this is the year to do our Reno. We are missing half the elephant skin, and naturally without knowing more I thought spray foam would be a good solution. After reading all of the relevant comments about that, this seems like the one application / method where spray foam was appropriate and would work well. Good for you for getting this done! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
FerrisBoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:16 AM   #203

British Columbia
I think the spray foam is the best for insulation. The tricky part is how to cover
Old 05-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #204

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
You have a new used trailer, wonderful pictures great work.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #205

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisBoler View Post
We have a 17’ Boler and think this is the year to do our Reno. We are missing half the elephant skin, and naturally without knowing more I thought spray foam would be a good solution. After reading all of the relevant comments about that, this seems like the one application / method where spray foam was appropriate and would work well. Good for you for getting this done! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
One fix is to paste closed cell 1/4" or 5/16" foam sheets to wall and spray with water downed white truck bed liner. The project I viewed may have been on this site looked like new encilite insulated trailer when done. They had it down to the shell do not know how they held the roof up while spraying the shell. Best part is it could look original when done. Do not think it would work for you though. love your cabinet work.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #206

British Columbia
Thanks Borden! Yes, there's not too much original left of this trailer!
Cheers,
Shannon
Old 05-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #207

Name: Eric
TN
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
One fix is to paste closed cell 1/4" or 5/16" foam sheets to wall and spray with water downed white truck bed liner. The project I viewed may have been on this site looked like new encilite insulated trailer when done. They had it down to the shell do not know how they held the roof up while spraying the shell. Best part is it could look original when done. Do not think it would work for you though. love your cabinet work.
Great idea, only thing you would want to find a different texture material because the bed liner uses a granulated rubber which produces sharp edges. I would look for some sort of micro bead or Styrofoam beads from a bean bag.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #208

British Columbia
Time to catch up on my thread. Been working at a pretty relentless pace to get the majority of the rebuild finished before camping at the end of July and into August!
To support a full-time bed I needed something strong and still light to span the space between the back lockers...a torsion box! Read about them so time to build one
Fairly straightforward to build and light for the strength of this box!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1586.jpg   IMG_1590.jpg  

Old 07-11-2021, 07:52 AM   #209

British Columbia
To turn a small sleeping space into something a little bigger for 2 people I made a second torsion box and installed it on full extension slides. Might be a little tight in the middle but lots of length and lots of width with enough room to climb into bed from the end. Legs that fold under the pull-out will be mounted later.
We had the cushions for the pullout made with foam 2" thicker to make up for the height difference. And....chose a very good quality foam...comfort at night is a must!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1774.jpg   IMG_1773.jpg  

Old 07-11-2021, 08:11 AM   #210

British Columbia
Next system to tackle was propane. We'll have a 2 burner cooktop inside the trailer and at times using a small bbq and small pizza oven (it's all about the food!) so started looking into propane tank storage. The ones available were either looked a little lightweight or were really expensive. For a few hours work and a couple of clamp straps, these tanks aren't going anywhere!
Stored in a great tongue box purchased on uber-sale at Canadian Tire that accommodated 2 - 10 lb tanks and space for hoses, electrical cords, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1783.jpg   IMG_1784.jpg  

IMG_1888.jpg   IMG_1890.jpg  

Old 07-12-2021, 04:33 AM   #211

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
My dad used to say, "if you don't have the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever gonna find the time to do it again?"

Very nice work with attention to every detail. Superb! Well done.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #212

British Columbia
Hi Bill and Laura,
I agree with your dad!
Thank you for your very kind words!
Old 07-18-2021, 07:34 AM   #213

British Columbia
Adventures in plumbing! Not an area that I have much experience in. A very helpful individual at a plumbing supply store helped me plan and got me set up with many of the parts for faucet line connection, water tank and sink drains. Many trips to a marine supply store and Greenline Hose and Fitting (which had everything!) for the marine hose and brass barbed fittings. I also discovered that 3 wraps of teflon tape on threaded fittings was not sufficient... A couple more trials led me to 7 wraps of teflon tape plus pipe thread sealant (perhaps overkill but I was getting tired of leaking joints) and tighten 'til they're tight! I also decided that "while I'm at it", I would install a water level gauge that I'll be able to see from where we fill the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
plumbing 1.jpg   plumbing 2.jpg  

plumbing 3.jpg   plumbing 4.jpg  

Old 07-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #214

British Columbia
When I replaced the axle, I chose to have electric brakes (no downside to added safety). I was really impressed with the Redarc Electronic Battery Manager that I installed and decided to go with their electric brake controller as well. I luckily have a very clever brother who was able to install this for me with no unhappy warning lights in my Audi! More split wire conduit to protect the wires underneath the trailer and good to go!!
Attached Thumbnails
64520102610__7C41D2D1-5377-4BBA-B2A2-E5D669E21C5A.jpg   IMG_1830.jpg  

IMG_1829.jpg  
Old 07-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #215

British Columbia
With the plumbing and propane complete I was able to finish the galley. I purchased a Corian remnant. This is a heavier countertop option for sure but once cut for the sink and cooktop the weight was reasonable. Also. I'm not too concerned about making everything as light as possible since I will have more than enough tow capacity in my vehicle and won't exceed the weight for the axle. Installed the upper galley cabinet and used 3/8" steel pipe (cleaned and waxed to prevent rust) to support it. Super solid!! Installed the cabinet pulls and I am now finished up to the galley!!
Attached Thumbnails
galley 1.jpg   galley 2.jpg  

galley 3.jpg  
Old 07-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #216

Name: Carl
Alberta
Nice. What kind of fridge is that?
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #217

British Columbia
It's a Nova Kool 12/120V
Old 07-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #218

Name: Carl
Alberta
It looks like you are pretty much finished. Do you have any thing left to do except go camping?
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #219

British Columbia
Hi Carl,
Yes, just about finished! Few more things to do and "tweaking things" as we start to use it
Old 07-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #220

British Columbia
Onto the last section...front dinette seats. I could have fully supported the seats without using blocks attached to the walls but I wanted to tie the walls into the floor just to add a little more integrity to the trailer. Maybe overkill but...
Installed more blocks and made the last "junction box" and cover to protect the electrical.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette 1.jpg   dinette 2.jpg  

dinette 3.jpg  

Tags
boler