Heater HELP Boler 1700 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #1

Name: Todd
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Heater HELP Boler 1700

Hey friends, I have been restoring my 1700 over the winter and I am down to the short strokes on the inside. Last night I filled up the water tank to test the pump and all of the connections. Everything works like a charm EXCEPT I have a leak coming from a valve on the outside of the hot water tank (see photo). When I attempted to tighten the valve it just appears to spin in place. Anyone have a similar issue? If so, did you find a fix?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3592.jpg  
TBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Drain plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlevins View Post
Hey friends, I have been restoring my 1700 over the winter and I am down to the short strokes on the inside. Last night I filled up the water tank to test the pump and all of the connections. Everything works like a charm EXCEPT I have a leak coming from a valve on the outside of the hot water tank (see photo). When I attempted to tighten the valve it just appears to spin in place. Anyone have a similar issue? If so, did you find a fix?
Valve or drain plug. If it is just the drain plug, remove it clean the threads in the tank with a pick or brush and replace the plug with a new one using thread sealant. (Use plastic or brass, steel will rust in.)
Check size before ordering. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Water...9033535&sr=8-6
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
That’s a hose bib plug, wrong threads. You need to get a npt plug.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #4

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Valve or drain plug. If it is just the drain plug, remove it clean the threads in the tank with a pick or brush and replace the plug with a new one using thread sealant. (Use plastic or brass, steel will rust in.)
Check size before ordering. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Water...9033535&sr=8-6
Thanks AC0GV! Just for clarification, when you say remove it, you are referring to the plastic (male) piece in the centre, not the metal female portion?
Old 04-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
Yes

Quote:
Thanks AC0GV! Just for clarification, when you say remove it, you are referring to the plastic (male) piece in the centre, not the metal female portion?
it sounds like you have the wrong plug. Many places will stock the half inch National Pipe Thread plastic plug. Note that I have never owned a Boler.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #6

Alberta
Thanks! I'll give that a go. they stock them at my local Canadian Tire.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #7

Alberta
An update: the NPT plug was actually way too small. turns out the threats ARE actually a 3/4 garden hose thread. I also learned that the metal part that appeared to just seen in place actually tightens up, which stopped the leak entirely. Who knew?
Old 04-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Modification

Quote:
An update: the NPT plug was actually way too small. turns out the threats ARE actually a 3/4 garden hose thread. I also learned that the metal part that appeared to just seen in place actually tightens up, which stopped the leak entirely. Who knew?
SOme one has made a modification to your water heater.

Tags
boler