1989 13' Scamp dinette cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 09:07 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Scamp
TX
1989 13' Scamp dinette cushions

How have you all made your bed more comfortable after converting it from the dinette? I can't imagine those cushions are very comfy all night long!

Also, any upgrades to the bunk beds you're willing to share??
amycnickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #2

Name: Bill
CA
Cushions

I tried using a self inflating camping mattress to cover the welts, piping, or whatever that tubular trim is called around the edges of the cushions. It worked, but it takes up too much room when not in use. I'm thinking seriously of having them reupholstered with nothing on the edges.

Bill
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Boler 1300
Alberta
Mattress topper

After trying a few different things to make our table converted to a bed more comfortable we finally used a regular 2” bed mattress topper cut to fit the curves. We then just roll it up when not is use. Very comfortable.
John Nazarnko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
Originally Posted by amycnickell View Post
How have you all made your bed more comfortable after converting it from the dinette? I can't imagine those cushions are very comfy all night long!

We felt the cushions were perfect ! Thick and firm enough to not let hips etc dip down clear to wood base. I know some bought memory foam or other pad under sheets, but we were fine!!! Even changed our bed at home to firm after realizing we slept better in the Scamp than at home!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
If/when we used the bed/dinette as a dinette, we didn't want to have to remove and store a topper in addition to the bedding.

The brand new Scamp foam was too hard/firm for us to sleep comfortably on our sides.

We went to a local foam/upholstery shop and they created custom 3-layer foam sandwich cushions (1" medium-firm foam glued to the top and bottom of 2" of extra-firm foam).

They laid down 4'x8' full sheets of foam and had us actually lay down on it until we found the right combination of densities for our sizes and weights. Then they glued those sheets together and used the stock Scamp cushions' foam as a template and cut out new foam sandwiches for the interior of our cushions.

Cost was just over $200. (Not much more than purchasing a MF topper?) They did most/all the work. All we had to do was take our cushions to them and lay down on various foam sandwich combinations.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Quote:

Just FYI -

The other question you asked was related to sofa/bunks.

We moved from our big bed Scamp13 to a Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A (with a free swap of front sofa/bunks instead of the usual Layout A front dinette.) In order to be able to eat infrequent indoor meals while sitting on the front sofa we put in a Lagun Table system (www.lagunusa.com).

When not being used for dining! The table tucks away into that unusable sofa sitting area and becomes a side table and/or extra food prep space.

I'm not certain if there is sufficient width to the left of that lower porta-potty door to put in the Lagun mounting plate or not. If you can find a spot for the mounting plate, the Lagun Table can turn the front sofa into a front dining area.

You can search YouTube for other Lagun Table installations.

Just a thought ...

Good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #7

Name: BigT
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Cushions for a Scamp.

I found the cushions to hard for sleeping. Because I don't use the dinette for anything but sleeping. I bought a double foam mattress and cut it in two for two using an electric knife. Covered it with cut down mattress covers and works great. One for the dinette area and one for the gaucho. SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE!
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I found the cushions to hard for sleeping. Because I don't use the dinette for anything but sleeping. I bought a double foam mattress and cut it in two for two using an electric knife. Covered it with cut down mattress covers and works great. One for the dinette area and one for the gaucho. SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE!
Quite the opposite for me. After about 12 years the foam started to break down a bit thus the chusions got fofter. I re foamed with just the firmest foam I could find. Great nights sleep since re foamaing.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #9

Name: Amy
TX
New cushion on old style scamp?

Thanks for all of your feedback! It is extremely helpful. One other question: can I use the new style dinette cushions (with the straight edge) with the old style Scamp (with the rounded edges)? I like the way the squared off edges fit better when set up as a bed. Thanks!!
amycnickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #10

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:

We agreed, added 2" foam overlay to top of cushions. First, for bunk, went to foam store, bought "9600" density 2 inch thick foam overlay, that may still be a bit firm, for dining-table-bed went to Walmart, bought their 2 inch foam pad, that seems good soft overlayment. (the nice folks we bought the Scamp from had used a 4 inch "memory foam" overlay, that seemed too soft, and too cumbersome to remove to use table.
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
we used a 2" memory foam topper on top of the cushions. I made a fence going across the closet to the sink cabinet with a piece of plastic fence panel and a sheet metal angle. used a piece of plywood cut to shape to square off the dinette top and is screwed into the steel angle.
this piece just sits in place and keeps the cushions from squirting out from under you while you sleep. we really wanted to get a dedicated try fold mattress cut to fit the scamp but was too expensive and way too expensive to ship.
since getting our Scamp 13 we have never had the table set up, we just leave it down. I find the table too awkward and heavy to be manipulated it kills my back. Scamp blew it with the heavy table top. I always wanted to replace it with structural honey comb board and get the weight out of it.
our front gaucho is cut to make a two seat table and drops down for sleeping. this is much more manageable. We really don't eat much inside that's what campground tables are for.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #12

Name: Andrea
Trailer: Boler
ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nazarnko View Post
After trying a few different things to make our table converted to a bed more comfortable we finally used a regular 2” bed mattress topper cut to fit the curves. We then just roll it up when not is use. Very comfortable.
Where do you store this when it’s rolled up?
Andrea D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:36 AM   #13

Name: Brett
Nevada
I'd rather have a good night's sleep than a place to eat an occasional meal indoors. I have a scamp19, but we still converted the dinette to a full time bed. We just brought in a spare mattress from our house.
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp