Scamp 13 closet opening - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Kayla
Trailer: Scamp
TN
Lightbulb Scamp 13 closet opening

Hi there!

We just bought the Ikea Trofast series storage after seeing someone else on this forum successfully install it in their 13' closet. We knew we would have to do some improvising with the overall height, but the width is literally 1/4" too wide for the drawers to easily pull in and out of the closet opening.

Has anyone successfully widened their closet opening? How might one go about doing that? I assume it's as "easy" as removing the lining and shaving down the sides, but what's the easiest way to do this as we are only needing to remove about 1/4"?

Attaching some photos for reference! Thanks so much in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed1.jpg   unnamed.jpg  

kaylaenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #2

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I would mask off the area to the exact size you require and then use a router to enlarge the opening. You might have to shop around to get a bit that can be used on fiberglass.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Do the drawers slide in and out with the cabinet edge trim removed? Cut that area out of the trim and glue the trim in place so it doesn't move.

Or, just take the difference that you need off the drawers. 3/16 off each side of the drawer should be enough.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #4

Name: Farmer Doug
Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Ohio
The opening for the Trofast has to be cut big enough to slide the unit in. A thin cutoff wheel (1/16") on a die grinder or angle head grinder will also work. It is a very messy job, remember fiberglass dust is dangerous. I add a taller Trofast to a Scamp 16 closet. After it was inserted I secured it in the closet with screws from the outside. Spacers had to be installed between the Trofast and the inside of the closet to line it up in the opening. I then trimmed the opening with scribed furring strips to fill the front of the closet fiberglass. Also I built new double doors, so that when opened the doors would not block the aisle.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1440.jpg   DSCN1439.jpg  

DSCN1437.jpg  
Doug King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp