Cutting An Access Hole In A Scamp19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2020, 12:10 AM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Cutting An Access Hole In A Scamp19

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has cut an access hole in their Scamp 19 (5th wheeler)? Under the drivers side dinette seat is a relatively large area. The only thing in there is the shore line power cord. So there is a fair amount of unused space.

The Scamp19 does not have any (zero) exterior storage and I'd love to cut a small door and keep my black water (after cleaing) hose in there.

I am thinking, cut the access panel as a 5x10 opening. Using contruction adhesive, glue pvc 1x2s to the inside of the opening, with a 1/2" reveal to act as a stop for the hinged door.

Does this make sense? Has anyone already tried this on their fiberglass unit?
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:52 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfleissner View Post
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has cut an access hole in their Scamp 19 (5th wheeler)? Under the drivers side dinette seat is a relatively large area. The only thing in there is the shore line power cord. So there is a fair amount of unused space.

The Scamp19 does not have any (zero) exterior storage and I'd love to cut a small door and keep my black water (after cleaing) hose in there.

I am thinking, cut the access panel as a 5x10 opening. Using contruction adhesive, glue pvc 1x2s to the inside of the opening, with a 1/2" reveal to act as a stop for the hinged door.

Does this make sense? Has anyone already tried this on their fiberglass unit?

Fiberglass is easily cut with a number of tools, easiest is probably a saber saw with the appropriate blade. Put a layer of tape all around to prevent scratching.

But, three comments here:

1. If I recall correctly, the area you describe housed both the shore power cord and the converter/wiring in the 2012 Scamp 19 I owned.

2. You cannot truly clean and sanitize a sewage hose in a field environment by simply “rinsing” it out. They are best stored outside of living spaces or in spaces adjacent to and with an open connection to living spaces. That is why every trailer manufacturer provides a hollow bumper or a waste water hose storage tube on trailers with bathrooms.

3. If you are determined to do this, why not buy a hatch designed to be installed into an opening cut into the shell. They come in various sizes. Cut the hole, seal it, and in Scamp style, rivet it in place through the shell. My Escape has four storage hatches, 3 different sizes that I would describe simply as small (1), medium (1), and large (2). From what you are describing it sounds as if you plan to fabricate a door using makeshift framework and the piece you cut out. The manufactured hatches I mention above have gaskets around the “doors” to keep water out.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have installed several hatches in Scamps on the drivers side dinette. Really gives access to hard to get to storage space. I used the area it to store all my set up equipment. I use boat deck hatches, with butyl tape and washers they are stiff enough not to need backing strips or have any leak issues. I do add a 1/8"x1 aluminum strip on the outside to make up for the curve in the shell. I may still have an access panel in the shop.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I did this to my 16 (same as a 19 as far as this area of the unit is concerned). I bought an 11”X19” RV access door off fleabay with rounded corners. The rounded corners were important to me to cut down on stress to the fiberglass shell. It fills the area well and is very secure after I screwed it into 1”x1” hardwood framing I added inside the shell. Makes a very handy storage area. As others noted, the converter is in there which was handy as I changed it out for a new one.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
2. You cannot truly clean and sanitize a sewage hose in a field environment by simply “rinsing” it out. They are best stored outside of living spaces
I agree. Beyond the risks of infection, you can count on having odors in the trailer sooner or later.

Many folks install a PVC fence post and caps to store their black water hose under the frame. It's an economical and effective way to take care of storing the hose. There are many posts on the internet detailing different approaches.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #6

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Boat access doors and plates

Why cobble something together ? Google or hit Amazon/eBay for boat access doors. Frame is included s/s hinges with locks . Just cut to opening size( most include a template. Add 5200 and screw or bolt in place. Never understand why folks here do not embrace their floating camper contemporaries...
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #7

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Excellent info. Thank you all. I did not know that I can buy pre-made hatch covers
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Access door

I took one out of my Amerigo. I'd gladly sell it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200726_210336306.jpg  
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought a fairly large marine hatch and mounted it on the side and built a plywood box inside for the outside accessible storage. The marine hatches are "water proof" with gaskets.
I use it to store those things I don't want inside. I keep a 3" sewer hose in there, but I never have used it as I have a macerating pump and a 1" hose to drain both gray and black tanks and this one is only for an emergency situation.
I do keep jacks, chocks, a camp stove and tools in there.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito13 View Post
Never understand why folks here do not embrace their floating camper contemporaries...
I don’t know that we don’t, but just as an example it seems to me that boat stuff is three times as expensive.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp