Mattress replacement for Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Mattress replacement for Scamp

I'm looking for a mattress to replace my hard-as-rock cushions on my Scamp 13.

Anyone have experience with Magic Sleeper Mattress company or another company that makes mattresses to fit a Scamp? I'm unsure of dimensions for a 2005 Scamp as mine is in winter storage elsewhere. Not sure if dimensions are the same as for a Casita.

Your suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I’d get you favorite mattress in a box (foam). Use your existing mattress/cushion set as a pattern and cut with an electric knife. I picked up a cheap electric knife at a thrift store to do this. Don’t want to cut a mattress with the same knife I use for Thanksgiving turkey!

I bought one from Costco, it’s what I use at home too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post

Anyone have experience with Magic Sleeper Mattress company or another company that makes mattresses to fit a Scamp? I'm unsure of dimensions for a 2005 Scamp as mine is in winter storage elsewhere. Not sure if dimensions are the same as for a Casita.
I used a 3" foam on top of the OEM cushions and was quite comfortable with that. But the foam was not holding up and the thin cover for it didn't do much. So I got the https://www.magicsleepermattress.com...mattress-shell and used the OEM cushions with my foam inside the shell. I don't know how the comfort would compare to their regular mattress but I mention all this for a few reasons:

Outside of number of loose threads it seems like good quality. The loose threads were almost all inside and so not a problem once the kit is assembled.

Having a full mattress makes it quite difficult to get into the bench storage, water tank, tank drain, etc. Even the shell when filled is not easy to deal with, or to remove for storage in a climate controlled area. It would be easier to leave it in place but leaving it in the camper full time might not be a good idea, esp if you have occasion leaks.

The shell was a good fit (of not maybe a smidgen on the large side) for my 2015 Scampif that helps you on sizing.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1986 Play-Mor II & Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
I am buying a foam IKEA mattress and cutting that for my mattress
CSiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
I've seen people get foam from this place with good success.

https://www.foambymail.com/foam-mattresses.html
Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I built a mattress from Foam By Mail (LUX HQ2) for my Escape 17B using 3" material & was pleased with it.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #7

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
I bought a full size 7" memory foam mattress from Costco. Reasonable price and I find it very comfortable. Mine is a 19'Scamp.
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
For our Trillium 4500 (53x75) picked up foam layers from The Foam Factory actual store location (aka Foam by Mail):

- 5" LUX HQ base layer
- 2.5" LUX HQ egg crate
- 2" HD36 HQ top layer

Very comfortable. Next time I would reduce the thickness of the base layer and possibly the egg crate layer.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Check out Southern Mattress. They make a quality custom mattress, a bit more expensive than a DYI foam but well worth it in our experience.
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #10

Name: marty
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Quote:

I also bought a mattress off ebay, got it home took my measurements , cut open the side of the cover cut to width. made a 17" radius and cut it with electric knife. Worked great, sewed up where i cut the cover. hwas worked great for 4 years so far.
kayaker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
Check out Southern Mattress. They make a quality custom mattress, a bit more expensive than a DYI foam but well worth it in our experience.
Second to Jack’s recommendation. We’ve had two - Scamp 16’ and now 19’. Phone # is 800.227.8701, website southernmattressnc.com
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #12

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
I got a wonderfully rated foam mattress of Amazon. Let it expand, put my camper cushions on top to use to draw/outline the size needed, cut it with my electric knife and voila! Comfy bed! Just as comfy as my home bed.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #13

Name: FarmerDoug
Trailer: Escape19
Michigan
Quote:

I just placed an order on MattressInsider.com. They make custom mattresses, sheets, and lots of other great stuff. You should check them out!

http://mattressinsider.refr.cc/douglasb
I purchased, a mattress encasement and Aire-flow from them and received good service. The link above should get you 5% discount. Good Luck
Ourescape19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #14

Name: FarmerDoug
Trailer: Escape19
Michigan
One other note: On our scamp 16 we bought a gel foam topper from Sams Club for the mattress. It seemed to us that the gelfoam retained moisture in high humidity, our coil spring mattress in the Escape is much more comfortable.
Ourescape19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #15

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
California
We have a 2004 19ft Scamp 5th wheel and replaced the original double bed--made from the same materials as the seat cushions with a custom cut bed from Mattress Insider. We got the 8" Natural Latex Luxury RV mattress. They were great to work with in the ordering process and the mattress is fantastic. Pretty pricey at $600 but, if you camp a lot and like a good night's sleep, well worth it.
jcellis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I built a mattress from Foam By Mail (LUX HQ2) for my Escape 17B using 3" material & was pleased with it.
I am thinking of replacing the foam in my camper cushions... just want something a little firmer than the 23 year old stuff that is in there now. Probably not memory foam. Do you think the LUX HQ2 would be a good choice for multipurpose (bed and dinette) cushions?
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #17

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Steve, if you mean the LUX HQ (code LHQ_2) on the foam factory's website. We found it great for a quite firm cushion to sit on, but a bit too firm for a permanent mattress on it's own. We found it a wonderful base layer for a mattress with a cushioning layer(s) on top. But comfort in a mattress is very subjective.

Look at their dimensional tolerance table to make sure that you can live with the variance from listed size for the mattress.

You may want to call the foam factory and see if they mail out samples. I saw little cubes of foam there when we went there (Macomb in SE Michigan). They also have sample cushions that you can sit (or lay on) if you every go to their factory.

For some reason they appear to have at least 2 different websites, maybe more. You may want to to look at both to check for price differences. When we purchased there was a price difference on the foam we wanted. We brought in the printouts for both websites to the store and recieived the cheaper price. The same physical address is listed on thefoamfactory.com and foambymail.com .

We did not buy a mattress cover. We just stuffed the foams in an old twin duvet covers we had. Two separate layers to make it easier to easier to bend when getting it in and out of the camper.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: HiPoint Toy Hauler
California
Here is a company that might be worth looking at as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Mybecca-Uphol...QXWCTPGRNJZPF5

Happy Trails! :-)
Roger M. Sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #19

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
See Post #9. We also have a Southern Mattress custom made for our Casita. It is very comfortable, even more so than the mattresses in any of our bedrooms. They will drop ship free to a business but not your home. It cost us about $600 or so, if I recall correctly.

We just bought a Big Foot and will use the OEM mattress in it this season. If it is uncomfortable, we will give it to Good Will and get another one from Southern Mattress.

https://www.southernmattressnc.com
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #20

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
This is a really helpful thread. Thanks all!

I am getting a new Scamp 13 in late January, and I am wondering if I should call Scamp and ask if they can just hold the rear cushions -and maybe give me a small credit? Then I could go with one of the options here, for example, Southern Mattress. I am guessing they probably have a pretty reliable template for a Scamp 13 and that I could order a mattress from them even before I get the Scamp, or maybe that is not wise and I should wait and measure?

I plan to keep back as a bed all the time, but I am a little concerned about getting into the areas under the rear seats. I am not sure what is in there beside the converter and fuse box. (I won't have any hot water, just a furnace, so I guess one side is electrical and the other side is just storage?) I have spent about a year with a 2015 Scamp, and I found that I never set up the rear dinette. I expect to sleep in the new one about 150 days per year.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp