Bigfoot "Silver Cloud" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I would call Walmart, "Parking".
Old 02-22-2020, 11:40 PM   #42

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
So just a question. Was the silver cloud a single wall fiber glass unit, or double walled like the current 25 foot.

The fibreglass outer shell is backed with 1” of rigid styrofoam. The interior walls and ceiling are thin plywood, probably luan with a washable covering. The three components are bonded together with contact glue. I think the construction is similar, if not the same as the current generation.
lance abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:58 AM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bigfoot "Silver Cloud"

To clarify... Double-walled (or double-hulled) molded trailers have inner and outer shells of molded fiberglass. U-Haul, Burro, Eggcamper, Oliver, and Happier Camper are built that way. They may or may not have insulation in between, but all have a shiny gelcoat interior.

All Bigfoots are single-wall (or single-hull) with other materials, not fiberglass, bonded to the inside of the fiberglass shell.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #44

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
double walled construction

This theory on double wall construction has been around for awhile. I used to sell hospital dietary ware for patients.

One manufacture used foam claimed it was the best, their competitor espoused air insulated. Hospitals kitchens would run tests on them and the temp. drop was the same! Go figure!

Appears to me in a camper I would want the foam for at least rigidity seems like Winnebago campers of old used a construction method like this!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #45

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The vast majority of our camping is boondocking, where we are away from campsites, stores, electricity and so on. This is what boondocking is, camping in the boondocks. A far cry from my backpacking, ski touring and canoeing trips of multiple days though.

And they do not build Walmarts, stores and restaurants in the boondocks, so staying at these would qualify to some degree as living off the grid, but definitely is not boondocking. We do this while on the move for an overnight stop too.
well no walmarts to shop in I am out or the Cracker Barrells for supper and a good nights sleep!

bob
Old 02-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #46

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
To clarify... Double-walled (or double-hulled) molded trailers have inner and outer shells of molded fiberglass. U-Haul, Burro, Eggcamper, Oliver, and Happier Camper are built that way. They may or may not have insulation in between, but all have a shiny gelcoat interior.

All Bigfoots are single-wall (or single-hull) with other materials, not fiberglass, bonded to the inside of the fiberglass shell.
Egg Campers are/were single hull units with interior fiberglass o/h and kitchen cabinets, but they are definitely not double hulled nor do they have thermal windows. Olivers are definitely double, I doubt U-Hauls are as they were built as rentals.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #47

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Egg Campers are/were single hull units with interior fiberglass o/h and kitchen cabinets, but they are definitely not double hulled nor do they have thermal windows. Olivers are definitely double, I doubt U-Hauls are as they were built as rentals.
Uhauls are double-hulled. A Uhaul VT was our last camper.

CindyL
Old 02-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #48

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bigfoot "Silver Cloud"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Triple-hull Bigfoot. Our Silvercloud boondocking in a previous life.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	133302
lance abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #49

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Sure looks like a unitary all-fiberglass interior, with walls and cabinets molded together in large left and right molds. This is a late build, with a fiberglass filler strip across the top between the left and right molds. Earlier builds had a strip of carpet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	14E5DE93-D471-48FD-BD45-7AACE821AE1C.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	133309

That is my understanding of what is meant by double-wall or double hull construction in the context of molded fiberglass trailers. But perhaps I have misunderstood the usage of that term? You’ve been around longer than I have.

Four-season trailers- extra insulation, thermal windows, enclosed underbelly, heated tanks- is a separate distinction. Oliver is the only one that is both double-walled and four-season.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #50

Missouri
double hull

every fiberglass boat I have owned has been double hulled. strength safety reasons I guess.

Made them heavy I bet an Oliver checks in a hefty weight!

bob
Old 02-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #51

Missouri
just looking

Quote:
Just looking at an Oliver shows the immense pride and work that has gone into them.

They used to make Mark Twain and Tom Sawyer boats where I live those fiberglass crafters were very picky on their work! I used to go by the plant in the day!

bob
Old 02-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #52

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We did pull it to Florida over the Appalachians using our Expedition. It did the job but sounded so strained that I am glad it forced us to get the 2500 before we traveled after my retirement. We are headed to Cripple Creek this summer. Had we still had the Expedition, I am not sure we would have considered going.

Cindy
Hi Cindy are going to the BOCI Mini Rally in Cripple Creek. It is in July 23-26. I hope so as your Silver Cloud would be a Big Hit with all the other Bigfoot Owners.

Rick M
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #53

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Hi Cindy are going to the BOCI Mini Rally in Cripple Creek. It is in July 23-26. I hope so as your Silver Cloud would be a Big Hit with all the other Bigfoot Owners.

Rick M
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:03 PM   #54

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
Knowing that craigslist items "disappear", rather than cluttering up this forum on FGRV, I just "pulled" the photos from craigslist and "pushed" them into a google photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wos2VeqGTasw5dDZ7

Thanks! It's not listed any longer. Appreciate you doing that as it was fun looking at the photos.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:02 AM   #55

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post

Rick M
Yes, we are going.. I am retired as of May 14, and we have a pickup that will pull the Silver Cloud in the Rockies.

CindyL
Old 02-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #56

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Registry
Going once, going twice...

Looks like the "Silver Cloud" got reposted: https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/rv...081932347.html

Goodness, they dropped the price, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
It must have been sold. I tried going to the ad and it has been removed. I just bought my Hymer in August but I'm already considering moving on. Nothing against the Hymer it is a great little unit but I'm getting a bit old for the tiny wet bath. I'm now thinking of a Bigfoot 21 with a dry bath. I do believe they have a dry bath am I correct?
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #57

Missouri
price range

waaay out of my price range anyway. I would rather have the alum. job at that money. but it is nice!!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
Looks like the "Silver Cloud" got reposted: https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/rv...081932347.html

Goodness, they dropped the price, too!
Old 02-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #58

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
waaay out of my price range anyway. I would rather have the alum. job at that money. but it is nice!!

bob
??? Cheaper than a new 13' Scamp. $13,181 USD. Remember, the advertised price is in Canadian dollars and right now the exchange rate is a bit more than 75 cents USD to every one Canadian dollar.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #59

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you open a o/h in the EggCamper you saw the reflectix attached to the outer shell, same for inside the closet and underneath the bed and kitchen and other structural components. It may appear double but but nothing like Oliver. Even Escape is finished inside cabinets and under the bed but they are single hulled.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:05 AM   #60

Missouri
far-out

lance that is quite the way to use a camper.. Hope you had great fun with that set-up.

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance abbott View Post
Triple-hull Bigfoot. Our Silvercloud boondocking in a previous life.Attachment 133302

Tags
bigfoot, cloud