Scamp Electrical Puzzle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp
MN
Scamp Electrical Puzzle

Hello all-

We are proud new owners of a used 2017 Scamp 16' layout 6. We just purchased in the trailer from some good friends who have taken great care of this trailer. Really feel fortunate to have this one.

We took the trailer out on a "shake down" trip this past weekend and ran into some electrical issues.

Before we left from home, I filled the water tank with a hose. When we arrived at the campsite (3hrs away) and got all set up, the water pressure was not working. The lights in the trailer appeared to be working. About 3hrs later, the lights stopped working.

The next morning, I checked the battery voltage and it was as 12.9 volts. Still no lights and no working water pump. I checked the sump pump for the shower and that was not working either. I hooked up our solar panel to add some charge to the batteries. We were at a little over 13 volts and still nothing was working. The positive lug bolt on the battery was loose. I tightened that up and no change.

I was wondering if the water line had air in it that could have been causing some issues with the pump. I decided to drain a couple of gallons of water out of the water tank to see if that would have any impact. As I drained some water out of the water tank, the pump kicked in and charged the line. The lights were all working then too.

Everything continued to work through the remainder of the day, into the night and next day when we left.

The pump issue sort of makes sense to me. The rest of the electrical is puzzling to me.

Any ideas?? We're leaving in a few weeks for a 7 day trip and hope to not have these issues come up again.

Thanks!
TimCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
I'd be asking your friends if they have any ideas!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #3

MN
I should have added that detail. I did ask our friends (who were helpful in brainstorming solutions). They were puzzled too. Never had a similar issue.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I sometimes suggest troubleshooting with a voltmeter. Check to see if you have power getting to the pump and also if you have a fuse in line that may be blown. I have no real idea as to how the new Scamps are wired up, but one measurement beats 1000 guesses.
There should be a battery charger and a distribution panel somewhere and some have traced power issues to a charger that is not plugged in.
Start by finding the battery charger and the power outlet that feeds it and go from there.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Sometimes, the pressure switch on the pump doesn't turn off. That pulls a lot of power from the battery. Sounds like that was your issue when power came back on after getting air out of the water line.

You can see how the pump is using power by turning on a light and notice the dimming with the faucet on. This only applies when operating without being plugged in. If the light doesn't come back to full brightness with the faucet turned off, you've identified the culprit. Turn the sink pump switch off when not in use and certainly while traveling.

The pressure switch is adjustable, but that was probably not your issue.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
What battery chemistry?

Is the 12.9v measurement taken while plugged in? 12.9 is not a normal "resting" voltage for Lead Acid while unplugged, though it might be for float mode with the charger supplying voltage. OTOH 12.9v is low for a LiFePO4 battery, well down into the discharge knee.

That said, 12.9v is plenty for lights, even if on a LiFePO4 battery. Having no lights at that voltage is the puzzle for me.

A voltmeter is definitely in order. Readings everywhere.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #7

Name: JAMES
Trailer: SCAMP
New Hampshire
Your comment states a battery connection was loose.
It doesn't take too long for corrosion to sneak into the connection.
Go in and clean all surfaces of the battery connection, lube them and
make sure they are connected tightly.
Best wishes
polskasila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Intermittent electrical problems are a bitch.

If the water pump keeps running, with all faucets closed, you may have debris stuck in the check valves internal to the pump, which keeps it from building enough pressure to shut off.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Intermittent power supply sounds like a poor connection somewhere in the electrical system. Use a voltmeter or test light and start from the battery, tracing the wires until you loose power.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Shopping
Minnesota
I just had the same thing happen this past week while on 7 day vacation. Found that the plug that goes into the back of the breaker panel had come out of the socket due to the road vibrations. I used duct tape to keep it in place. Haven't had issue since.
mnhoneybees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Also check and see if your power is connected to a circuit breaker. If the pump is not drawing it could trip the main breaker. Once the pump started by draining the line would indicate the breaker automatically reset. This breaker will be located between the battery and the distribution panel. As to the pump problem I haven't any idea. Is everything working as it should now? Hopefully just a one time glitch, Good luck and enjoy your new camper.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #12

MN
Bing M (and others)
Appreciate all of the feedback here. I stopped out at the trailer this evening (stored a few miles from home) and all seems to be working. Interesting that you mention a "main breaker" that may have reset. That breaker is somewhere between the battery and the distribution/fuse panel?? I wonder of that was the issue. Not sure where that is on my scamp and I don't see on the wiring diagram.

Tags
electrical, scamp