Help need easy Fridge Option for Scamp! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #21

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I can attest that the Amazon fridge freezer's work very well, I've had one running in my Gladiator for about 18 months now. I keep it about 6-8°C it's been running off the starting battery all this time. I've got a 80w solar system on the hood besides driving recharging the battery.

Best dang investment for camping I've made other than my Scamp in last 15-20 years. No more needing to buy ice.
Attached Thumbnails
16309688177856482784269897266166.jpg   IMG_20210906_175310.jpg  

Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
To those with an ice box (the OP), one challenge with installing a traditional RV fridge in its place is you will need to cut large holes in the outside of your trailer for ventilation, and then you will need to do fiberglass work to create a sealed area on the back side of the fridge.

Myself, I would go the truck fridge route instead, as recommended by others. Endless discussions in the living in a van world out there on YouTube.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
What's a Pick n Pull? You mean a junk yard?
It's a Junkyard in Alberta Canada that you can walk into and get car parts from. You just have to remove the parts yourself from the vehicles. Which is why the store name is literally Pick N Pull.
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #24

Alberta
You could have both. I have a dorm fridge and some coolers I usually have shore power where I like to camp. But if not I have the cooler which works also. You could use the dorm fridge as an ice box but not sure how efficient it would be. The dorm fridge is nice because it has a freezer compartment. The dorm fridge doesn't use that much power. You could run it off batteries. The question would be how many and for how long. It would not be as efficient as a 12V compressor for sure. With the prices of 12v cheap compressor fridges now it would be more tempting to go that route if I was looking. When I was deciding they were in the $700+ range. Now you can get them for $2-300.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
I second this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Google knows. You will get different results from your US IP address.
Nowadays there are very good options for a compressor based box. Cheap all the way up to exorbitant.

These little units run very well off of dc which means they run forever on very little battery.

Tear out the old refri, put in a couple of shelves. Or... place one of these chest type units on slides so that it slides out when you want it.

You might find this is a great replacement for the old original...
Old 09-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
You might find this is a great replacement for the old original...
Depending on your requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
beer fridge.jpg  
Old 09-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #27

North Carolina
ROTFL of course if you need a 12 CUFT unit then... get a 12CUFT model.

That said I ran across a company in the midwest that sells just the guts for refris, DC driven and very power efficient. You can go to their factory nd they will install or they will ship you a unit. I watched a YouTube video of a couple pulling their ginormous RV Refri and replacing the cooler guts with this thing.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
resistance fridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
WalMart has a simple resistance fridge which fits nice and is easily secured for under a $100.
also Colman has a 12V/110V cooler which can be stood upright and used as a fridge...
What is a resistance Fridge? Google doesn't even know, lol, I would like more information on a few of them if you could elaborate on them as to brands and model number and how many amps they draw running and also on startup.
Thank you for any information you can provide and I am sure other have interest also.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT ONEILL View Post
What is a resistance Fridge? Google doesn't even know, lol, I would like more information on a few of them if you could elaborate on them as to brands and model number and how many amps they draw running and also on startup.
Thank you for any information you can provide and I am sure other have interest also.
I suspect that Floyd is referring to a Peltier cooler. They use more power than they should, and they develop a limited temperature differential from ambient. Good for when you are driving to keep the drinks cool. The best feature of these is that, other than the fan, no moving parts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/koolatr.../6000005988021

Given the current prices on 12VDC compressor versions, I would look at those instead.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #30

Alberta
Probably means thermo electric. As temperatures continue to drop depending on where you are you might not need a fridge at all.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #31

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I suspect that Floyd is referring to a Peltier cooler. They use more power than they should, and they develop a limited temperature differential from ambient. Good for when you are driving to keep the drinks cool. The best feature of these is that, other than the fan, no moving parts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/koolatr.../6000005988021

Given the current prices on 12VDC compressor versions, I would look at those instead.

The "cheap chinese" compressor fridges seem to be holding up well and are a great value. And they will keep your food very cold, and they sip power.

I have the regular Dometic 3 way in my scamp, but I will be getting one of these compressor fridges for the real work of keeping food cold. And Ice Cream! If the Dometic ever dies, it will go in the dustbin of history and will not be replaced.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
I can attest that the Amazon fridge freezer's work very well, I've had one running in my Gladiator for about 18 months now. I keep it about 6-8°C it's been running off the starting battery all this time. I've got a 80w solar system on the hood besides driving recharging the battery.

Best dang investment for camping I've made other than my Scamp in last 15-20 years. No more needing to buy ice.

Can you provide a link? I went to amazon and found 64 million refris by two dozen manufacturers. But no sign of that one.

Tags
fridge, scamp