Replacing a Scamp Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
Replacing a Scamp Awning

I recently purchased a 2016 Scamp 19’ in great shape, but the Fiamma factory installed awning was broke from a wind storm, leaving only the three mounting brackets. Scamp quoted me $900.00 to replace just the awning. I can go to the factory to have it installed, or have it delivered for an extra $300.00.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether I could mount another, less expensive awning on the Fiamma brackets, or would I have to remove the old brackets and start fresh? Or just bite the bullet and pay $900.00 or more for the Fiamma awning because it is the greatest awning in the whole world and I will never regret spending a house payment to buy one?
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceceoh View Post
I recently purchased a 2016 Scamp 19’ in great shape, but the Fiamma factory installed awning was broke from a wind storm, leaving only the three mounting brackets. Scamp quoted me $900.00 to replace just the awning. I can go to the factory to have it installed, or have it delivered for an extra $300.00.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether I could mount another, less expensive awning on the Fiamma brackets, or would I have to remove the old brackets and start fresh? Or just bite the bullet and pay $900.00 or more for the Fiamma awning because it is the greatest awning in the whole world and I will never regret spending a house payment to buy one?

Maybe you could get parts and repair your awning.

Carefree still makes a bag awning for less, it works great but it is comparatively difficult to deploy. It does have the advantage of easily attaching a screen room or a privacy room. The example below is to show you the awning, but you may find it on sale for less or with free shipping.
You would need to remove the Scamp brackets and install an awning rail.
With an awning rail you could simply sew a bead on awning fabric and use cheap awning poles .Maybe even use the fabric you have for this last(les desirable) option.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/texs...8&gclsrc=3p.ds

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36161088761...f20=A4M2NESMJY
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:44 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Anything that fits on the original brackets and works like the Fiamma is around the same price. Roll-out case awnings are expensive.

There are many alternatives, most of which are somewhat less convenient as Floyd points out. They all require removing the factory brackets and sealing the holes. Some require attaching something else to the shell, like a C-channel awning rail. There are lots of old threads discussing the pros and cons of various alternatives to the factory awning. The “site search/google” option at the bottom of the search menu is the best way to find them.

Besides bag awnings, you might take a look at the Shady Boy. Very light and more wind resistant than the factory case awning.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:20 AM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Awning arms, roller and cloth

We paid more for replacement roller and awning cloth without installation. "We did get the heavier duty cloth" They had one at $500 but much lighter duty and you also need arms.
Used original 78 boler curved arms, modified the old arm caps to fit larger pin from new caps off of new roller ends. Got free shipping as the store had a shipment of awnings coming in and our new roller and awning was added to it.

The arms if replaced cost hundreds each, they used the same curved awning arms on the vintage Airstreams as vintage bolers so replacements are available. and just maybe retro installer could find used curved arm units off of an old airstream trailer as few bolers have this from factory save by adapting the arm caps to new roller and awning.

Had to add a new awning C cloth track at top as the new roller rolls under and old boler awning roller rolled over cloth. New track is above the brackets and old is still in place below top brackets. "difference is thickness of roller"
Works great and would make a good retro project for someone who got a boler that did not have this option factory installed.
$1500 for the retro curved arms and brackets at the time we fixed ours, plus the cloth track, roller and awning cloth cost. "boler needs the curved arms" and self install.

Would of delivered the trailer to factory if it was possible and considered the cost above a bargain. Remember you sometimes get what you pay for, we wanted the heavy duty cloth as we wanted it to last. New roller retract, and lower lever feature, so even works better.

We do use our 12' awning on every trip.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Besides bag awnings, you might take a look at the Shady Boy. Very light and more wind resistant than the factory case awning.
I have been reluctant to get an awning because overall I find them more trouble and expense then they are worth. However the Shady Boy could change my mind. I'm still resisting because I don't want to make six more holes in the roof, but I am waning...

See:
https://www.boler-camping.com/boler-...dy-boy-awning/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I had a similar issue with FrankenScamp as the wife wanted an awning. I searched all over and the freight was the killer.
I called Scamp and arranged to have one installed while we were up north on a gardening symposium (for SWMBO).
A short detour while touring Yellowstone etc and Scamp installed the awning for the basic sales price, no installation costs!
Far better mounting than what Casita used and we are happy with the awning.
I did add the mounting clips to the frame and bottom of the shell so that the arms are firmly located to help with the wind issues.
We have not used the awning much while traveling, but when we are staying for a while it is nice for some shade.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I had a similar issue with FrankenScamp as the wife wanted an awning. I searched all over and the freight was the killer.
I called Scamp and arranged to have one installed while we were up north on a gardening symposium (for SWMBO).
A short detour while touring Yellowstone etc and Scamp installed the awning for the basic sales price, no installation costs!
Far better mounting than what Casita used and we are happy with the awning.
I did add the mounting clips to the frame and bottom of the shell so that the arms are firmly located to help with the wind issues.
We have not used the awning much while traveling, but when we are staying for a while it is nice for some shade.
Great idea for anyone to fix or add an upgrade.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #8

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
We paid $10 for an 8'x10' plastic tarp, sewed a 1/4" rope into a fold along the 10' edge, bought 3 adjustable paint poles, 3 cheap paint rollers and cut off the rollers, and added some rope and pegs. Voilŕ, our awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 33.jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
DIY Awning

Quote:
I recently purchased a 2016 Scamp 19’ in great shape, but the Fiamma factory installed awning was broke from a wind storm, leaving only the three mounting brackets. ...
Interesting. Three+ years ago I acquired a 17’ Casita Spirit Deluxe that came without the Fiamma awning but it had the three awning brackets. The original owner indicated that, on a camping trip, they had the awning deployed, went on a ferry excursion, windstorm occurred and pretzled the awning.

Pondering the alternatives I finally did a DIY “awning” for under $95.

I installed a 10’ length of ˝” electric conduit onto the awning brackets using standard conduit clamps. For awning “fabric” I bought this heavy duty tarp. I attach the tarp to the conduit using small carabiner clips; although the clips’ dimension implies that it can clip onto the ˝” conduit I had to thread a couple of them onto the conduit and then clip the tarp to them using the other carabiners. Lastly, I use adjustable tarp poles and guy lines to support the tarp with tent stakes.

With practice, it takes me about 10~12 minutes for setup and take down. I did have to add a small step stool to my camping equipment so that I could reach the carabiners on the conduit.
Attached Thumbnails
Do-It-Yourself Awning.jpg  
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #10

Ohio
Larry B and Steve, those are some damn fine awnings, the type you wouldn’t mind watching as I they flew away across the campground. From the replies it sounds like all awnings are just born to die. Maybe I’ll put this on the back burner. I’ll keep the brackets in place though, just to keep the holes covered.
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Larry B and Steve, those are some damn fine awnings, the type you wouldn’t mind watching as I they flew away across the campground. From the replies it sounds like all awnings are just born to die. Maybe I’ll put this on the back burner. I’ll keep the brackets in place though, just to keep the holes covered.
Our awning is an essential accessory even with the addition of a Clam shelter. It is the Catalina 2500 which was provided with our Scamp when new. It is in near perfect condition after more than 17 years of use.
I also contend that replacing yours in kind would be a good value when resale is added to use over the remaining time you have your Scamp.
That is of course a personal decision but something to consider.

BTW: If you can find a corner to stash it in, save your damaged awning for parts.

I have collected discarded broken awnings several times over the years and have been able to supply parts for others who have damaged theirs.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #12

Registry
HEY!! LOOK AT THIS...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27456989172...c5eec91e9b1a6f
Old 09-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #13

Ohio
Quote: