Scamp Tailight Troubles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: '95 Scamp 13 Standard
NM
Registry
Scamp Tailight Troubles

At the end of our recent camping trip we discovered that the right side taillight was not working for night and blinkers. I've switched the bulbs from one side to the other to check if a bulb was bad, no change, problem stays on right side. I've checked the cable from the outside 4-pin connector to the Jeep using a voltmeter, good connectivity.

So my question is whether anyone has had a similar problem and if there is a common fix. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
pastor-russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Did you check the pigtail on the tow side?

If the wire from the connector to the light is good, then perhaps it is in the side on your tow vehicle? Are you getting a voltage bouncing when the turn signal should blink?
Old 09-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #3

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I suspect the problem is in the ground wire in that light.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
We had a similar problem and, after messing around with it, the light began working again. At least for now. No idea what happened there.
Linda M R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I suspect the problem is in the ground wire in that light.

Over the last many decades, I've found that vehicle lighting problems, especially in trailers, are mostly because of poor grounds. Start by checking all the ground connections that are a screw into a frame member. Unscrew and clean to bare metal. rust/dirt/corrosion is not conductive!
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Having one of these will save the day. Even cheeper when they have a sale.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-ma...kit-64282.html
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
not to hijack the thread

But if I remove the lense to replace the bulb with a bright led, is the seal reusable? Am I headed for trouble with a water leak? Any recommendations for bulb replacement?
Old 10-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #8

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor-russ View Post
At the end of our recent camping trip we discovered that the right side taillight was not working for night and blinkers. I've switched the bulbs from one side to the other to check if a bulb was bad, no change, problem stays on right side. I've checked the cable from the outside 4-pin connector to the Jeep using a voltmeter, good connectivity.

So my question is whether anyone has had a similar problem and if there is a common fix. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Had a similar problem with the boat trailer. A bit different because on the boat trailer the light bolted to the frame and that is where it grounds. But on our boler the tail lights need a wire from the tail light to a ground. Invest in a cheap test light for couple of bucks. Run a wire from a power source say your jeep with test light on end, then touch the bulb holder in tail light, if the test light doesn't come on you have a gound problem. Should work both ways ground to power or power to ground the light should come on. You need to follow where the ground comes from can check on way with probing into wire with your test light this will check for broken wire. Usually though it is usually a dirty or rusted connection. Good luck.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
But if I remove the lense to replace the bulb with a bright led, is the seal reusable? Am I headed for trouble with a water leak? Any recommendations for bulb replacement?
It should just snap off and snap back on.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #10

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Having one of these will save the day. Even cheeper when they have a sale.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-ma...kit-64282.html
Except for the bumper, where will they attach to. The bumper does not offer a lot of area to attach to.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, scamp