Happier Camper Website and Order - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #1

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Happier Camper Website and Order

I have been skulking around the forums for a while and thought I would write now that I see the HC1 web site is up and running. About 5 weeks back I went to Silverlake to look at the HC1 prototype. I liked it so much I ordered one. Very light for towing by our Subaru 4th Gen Outback (4 cyl with CVT), though we will have to be careful about added weight and placement. I like the flexibility of the interior modular layout and after trying it, the bed will work well for me at 6'-5" tall, and my normal height wife. I was a little confused at first on what modules to order so I created a layout of the interior to work out a couple of configurations. I have attached the drawing. The layout kind of ended up like the standard fiberglass trailer layout, but with the flexibility of moving things around easily later.

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. I have been working on the Subaru getting it ready to tow. I had a brake controller added, and added gravel guards (mud flaps) to the front and rear wheels. (May add "clear bra" to the trailer later) We have been researching "retro" accessories such as 60's style kitchen ware, butterfly chairs, etc. (Oh yeah, wait, do not overload the trailer) This will be a whole new phase in our traveling and "camping" lives. I have no specific plans for now till we know the exact date of delivery, but am looking forward to many trips in the Western USA and Canada.

Happier Camper | Ultra-light Travel and Utility Trailers

Don,
Sacramento
Dbybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Sketches for HC1 Layout

Another try to post the image of my interior layout.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HC1PossibleLayoutsBybee.pdf (80.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I've been watching their web site also. I love the early '50's style of the rear fenders. What color did you decide on.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1
Colorado
So great to hear that you saw it in person, were impressed and then ordered one! I ordered one right off the bat, but have had a little pushback from my hubby that we bought something too expensive for the features we were getting. We have two small kids and I think the thing that sold me was the back hatch - that we can kind of be inside and outside at the same time - and can keep an eye on the children yet be out of the wind or rain ourselves. I was a little worried with some of the initial customer service, but a phone call from Wil goes a long way. I still have a gut feeling that it is going to work out really well - better than a scamp or casita or r-pod I am going to make the drive out to LA to pick it up because I do want to make sure everything on my invoice is correct - but it will be great, I'm going to recruit my bro for the trip. Already planning all the camping we will do towards the end of the summer

Derek, if you are reading, we are looking into someone local Building us a custom kitchen or chuck box that would span two cubes lengthwise - I think that would be a neat add-on - fit our stove, French press, etc. oh, also a bunk? ....the possibilities are endless...
Coolbean60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Congrats Donald, it will be good to hear from owners of the first units off the line. Oh ya, don't forget the pics
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #6

California
Steve,
We went with the blue color. The sage was also a contender for us.
Don
Old 06-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #7

California
Kristen,
With anything this expensive I too often have a bit of "buyers remorse". I push myself to look past that though. I can afford the trailer. It is worth the asking price to me. Concentrate on all of the great trips we will have in the trailer with a whole new way of exploring the west. It is a quality product that will last a very long time.

I also will be picking up the trailer but it is only about 6 hours for me. I will probably bring it home and start outfitting it a bit before we actually go out on our first trip. Have you seen all of the great retro camping gear web sites?

Keep in touch, or maybe we will have to start a sub-forum for the HC-1.
Don
Old 06-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do you know the price of the "fully equipped" and "premium" HC1 models they list? I thought maybe you had the price list, Thanks
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #9

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
This is very exciting! I visited Derek while he was still working out the prototype and his passion was inspiring!
Old 06-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Very interested in these cool campers
Those of you that have made the decision to buy.... What is the approx lead time

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #11

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Happy Camping

I am so jealous!! I ran across the HC1 while searching the net on anything fiberglass. I would love this trailer! The back hatch, open feel, and possibilities, I mean, come on, just awesome!! Happy Camping! Now, only if I won the lottery.... My dream camper
Em H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #12

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1
Colorado
I ordered back in April and should be done mid-July. So, ten weeks?
Coolbean60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
Hello HC1ers!
We just got back from a photo-shoot last night of the first production model of the HC1 in Mojave Sage The color is great.

We took them both to the Sequoias national park and spent a few nights in the HC1s. Its a lot colder and windy up there at 8k feet, so we got to give them a good test. The HC1 pulls very nicely with the aerodynamic wheel fenders pulling it to the ground and the wide wheel base. We are including Lipert torsion axle's and electronic breaks as standard so its a really easy pull. With the little propane Mr heater the trailer stayed nice and warm and i dint get any condensation on the insulated double hull. Camping was great and comfortable, the shady boy awning provided good protection from the sun and the modular cubes outside work as planned.

I don't have any professional photos for you yet, they will be posted next week, along with some more videos. We will also be updating the website to the new photos and sending a email out to our mailing list. We have been waiting to send out a mail as there are a few big pieces we wanted to have shots of (the awning, fiberglass refinements, door handles etc).

I shot these on my phone camera.. and im defiantly not a photographer..

I brought my motorbike with us and did some real testing of hauling with the HC1. My bike weighs 400Lb+ and it fit perfectly, so did a 10ft kayak. We were also able to fit in enough modular cubes with the bike in there to set it up as a full camper to sleep 3 adults after removing the bike.

We set up the Shady Boy awning on this one and it works great.

Were not rushing production, we want to get it all just right, we have a lot of people that want to buy the HC1. But we have only accepted 10 pre orders at this time, This will be the first batch. After that were hoping to shorten our build time and make some more awesome trailers.

Donald, was so good to meet you, your trailer is one of the first ones and i think were going to be on schedule, we will let you know if that changes. You layout drawing is a good one, and we have used it like this this weekend, works great. If anyone wants to try a configuration of the HC1 i made a very rudimentary flash application that allows you to drag modular components onto the floor of the HC1 so you can get a feel for it. The beauty of the HC1 modular interior is that you can change it around to fit you needs, it also means that when we have new or upgraded components its a snap for you up put them in. So far we are releasing a basic set of components, but i am working on a few more ( closet component, shower component, extended kitchen).
You can find the beta of the "HC1 configurator" at the bottom of this page Adaptivâ„¢ | Happier Camper
I built it in flash, and its buggy and will only work on a desktop computer, not a iPhone or iPad. Sorry if it doesn't work for you, my programing skills are limited and i've been spending most of my time making trailers, but i think it helps people understand the Adaptiv system.

As for price, we have just had a major increase in the cost of our fiberglass.. We also decided to add a few more great options into the Base price of the HC1, so we are starting at $15,950. I know its up there, but i feel you get what you pay for and we are keeping it very competitive in comparison to other standard FG trailers.
As were still in the beginning of this thing, costs are fluctuating, im expecting a lot of things to go down in price in production and a few going up. An example of the volatility of this market right now is Hehr windows just raised its prices to all of their customers between 30 - 300%. If you ordered a HC1 already and are in the first 10, your price is locked in, and if there is savings we will pass it on.

Because of the modular interior and the ability of the trailer being a Hauler we are able to register our HC1s with permanent plates.

If anyone has any questions let me know on here or email to info@happiercamper.com, if your want to know sales related stuff you can email sales@happiercamper.com

talk soon!
Derekmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The PTI (Permanent Trailer Identification) plates are not because it's a Hauler but because it's a 16 foot trailer or under. DMV doesn't separate by type of trailer, only by length.

So anyone in CA with a 16 Scamp, 16 Casita or other brand can get the PTI, plus all the shorter ones. However, the 17 Casita's are out of luck. But there was at least one 17 Casita which I knew about that a mistake was made on and they got the PTI.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
The PTI (Permanent Trailer Identification) plates are not because it's a Hauler but because it's a 16 foot trailer or under. DMV doesn't separate by type of trailer, only by length.

So anyone in CA with a 16 Scamp, 16 Casita or other brand can get the PTI, plus all the shorter ones. However, the 17 Casita's are out of luck. But there was at least one 17 Casita which I knew about that a mistake was made on and they got the PTI.
Maybe not, Joy, my SD 17 came with PTI plates. Original owner was from AZ, the second, whom I bought it from, was in CA. If while going through the DMV VIN check they measured the box length, 14' 9" it would qualify. Maybe it just depends who the inspector is. Over the years I have seen many enclosed/cargo trailers longer than 16' with PTI plates. Go figure
Old 06-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Am I wrong, but you also give up the title to CA when you get the PTI? Don't try to register or title a trailer in Oregon without the TITLE, bills of sale, etc. don't work!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
Thanks Joy, i did not know that about the PTI.
Derekmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Am I wrong, but you also give up the title to CA when you get the PTI? Don't try to register or title a trailer in Oregon without the TITLE, bills of sale, etc. don't work!
No Donna, I have a couple PTI trailer titles/pinks slips in a nice little pile
Old 07-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #19

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
A "Bill of Sale" doesn't work in Oregon? Has that state gone nuts?
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This is a 5-year-old thread, but I think Donna's comment was in the context of a trailer purchased in California and brought to Oregon. Since California is a title state for travel trailers, you would have to have a properly completed title to register the trailer in Oregon.

If it's brand new and never titled or registered I believe there is a manufacturer's certificate of origin that takes the place of the title. (It's been a long time since I bought anything brand new in the vehicle department and never out of state.)

Just speculating...

Some days it seems the whole world has gone mad lately, but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed at Oregon MVD in terms of paperwork requirements.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
happier camper, hc1