Turning a eggcamper in to a 3 season camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Turning a eggcamper in to a 3 season camper?

Has any one tried to make there Eggcamper in to a 3 season camper? By lets say like injecting expandable foam in between the walls and replacing the windows with thermal pain ones?
I have added the foam pads to the floor of mine and it helped greatly. Now I'm thinking of really going to town.
Let me know what your ideas and thoughts are. I don't want to spend the big bucks on a new camper.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #2

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
You will want to be very careful injecting expandable foam in between the walls as it could bulge your walls if overdone.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
You will want to be very careful injecting expandable foam in between the walls as it could bulge your walls if overdone.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Has any one tried to make there Eggcamper in to a 3 season camper? By lets say like injecting expandable foam in between the walls and replacing the windows with thermal pain ones?
I have added the foam pads to the floor of mine and it helped greatly. Now I'm thinking of really going to town.
Let me know what your ideas and thoughts are. I don't want to spend the big bucks on a new camper.
Thanks,
Jason
I don't know the construction of your camper and where you would inject LOW Expanding foam...also with caution, but carpet on the floor, heavy drapes/curtains on the windows, lining the outside wall of all cupboard and closets with "double bubble" will make a difference. The more double bubble you can incorporate the better. Put small Velcro tabs on the corners of your roof vent and cut a sq. of DB and put Velcro on that so they match. It will keep a great deal of heat IN. Seal all drafts, either with low expanding spray foam or aluminum duct tape that will seal the leak and reflect the heat back. Not much of a gain here, but every little bit counts!
Good luck...

Mike in NS
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #5

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
There is an expandable foam, Great Stuff brand, and maybe others, that is made specifically for the areas around windows and doors. Look closely at the label to make sure you are getting the windows and doors version of the product. It stops expanding when it touches a surface. I have used masking tape to close off cavities that I've sprayed it into and it does not even bulge the tape. The idea of the product is that it won't bulge the door jams and widow sides so it won't affect the sliding of windows or closing of doors. Remember that all of these foams are "open cell", which means that they will take in and hold water. So do your leak fixing first, then spray it in there.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
To me, a 3-season camper is ready for spring, summer and fall. Our small Scamp is pretty well insulated and two warm bodies keep it comfortable. My bed has many layers of comforters and blankets ready to use in all kinds of weather. Of course, we dress in layers as well. Our shades, made of black out material called Roc-Lon, keep out light AND insulate all windows and roof openings. Yes, it's nice to have a fuzzy area rug, that can be washed, on the floor in cold weather. I like the floor bare in warm weather. The heater takes the edge off in cold weather. Now that I think of it, the only change I'd make for freezing winter weather is to remove all water from tanks and pipes and use free-standing water containers so as to prevent frozen pipes from bursting.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 033.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Minimally expanding foam is not dense enough to provide more than a teeny little bit of R value in terms of insulation. Minimal expansion equals minimal R value. These products were designed specifically to inject into narrow gaps around windows and doors to stop drafts without bowing the trim pieces. They were not designed to serve as basic R value increasing insulation. Don't waste your time and money on that particular type of product as it won't get you what you are after.

If you have a trailer that has reflective material suspended between an inner shell and outer shell then putting in spray foam will be a major mistake as it will ruin its reflective insulation layer which must have an air gap on each side of it for it to work. Besides which if you have that layer of reflective material in there then you already own a 3 season travel trailer.

When you don't have much in the way of wall thickness to work with then you need to place your focus of improvements on reflective heat control. That means you use reflective surfaces inside to keep the heat in when it is cold and use on the exterior to help keep the heat out when it is hot. There are lots of things you can do with reflective materials to make yourself more comfortable and fortunately for you they have already been written about many times in this forum as well as in other RV related forums.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #8

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
That's some useful info on R Values
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: 30' jayco & 1974 Boler
Ontario
Registry
3 season camper

use the KISS principle .(keep it simple stupid) make sure your furnace is in good working order & purchase some really good sleeping bags . I plan on using my Boler for 3 season camping , so I am installing an Espar truck furnace & Woods sleeping bags . good luck . Regards John
jcstanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper