bonaire oxigen towing question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
ROFL I dont know Francesca - its starting to sound like you might be in the market for an Oxygen

Sadly a Trillium 4500 you are dangling out as incentive to the OP isnt all that easy to find either - not even in the area the OP is.... check out past sales in Canada... how many do you see? Not to mention it might also be pushing their tow limit as well.

The Oxygen's have been selling recently in the $11,000 to over $12,000 range - although there was one on the market for $8500 in the past year - not sure why that one was so low. So if one got a trailer that rare and of that value given to them as a gift it wouldn't seem to out of line to take a minor hit on a trade in for a vehicle that could tow it..... just saying.
As if I'd give up my Trillium after all we've been through together!

It's the perfect trailer for my purposes, and the Oxygen would be too heavy for me to tow even if I could wrap my head around the idea that it's worth that much money...
If the prices are that high despite the Oxygen's relatively small size/lack of amenities, I can't help but think that the reason is due more to their rarity than their superiority to other trailers.

Everything about my setup is perfect for my purposes...my only problem now is the looming possibility that I may eventually have to replace my first-gen Kia some time in the future. I chose the Trillium to match the Kia, my daily driver since 2005, and I dread the day- if it ever comes- when I might have to buy a different car!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Sadly a Trillium 4500 you are dangling out as incentive to the OP isnt all that easy to find either - not even in the area the OP is.... check out past sales in Canada... how many do you see? Not to mention it might also be pushing their tow limit as well.
Ummm... I found two, for less then $3500 each. In less then a year.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Ummm... I found two, for less then $3500 each. In less then a year.
Never said you couldnt find them just not as many as implied. I found 3 Oxygens in the country for sale in the past year as well.....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Never said you couldnt find them just not as many as implied. I found 3 Oxygens in the country for sale in the past year as well.....
I didn't imply any abundance of Trilliums....just that the first gen 4500 is within Sylvain's tow limits even loaded, and a very nice one could probably be had for quite a bit less than folks seem to think his too-heavy Bonaire might go for.

I do think, however, that there are probably more Trilliums in the O.P.'s part of Canada than may exist in other regions, and especially in the U.S.A.

The first gen Trilliums did come from back there...

Francesca
Old 11-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The first gen Trilliums did come from back there...Francesca
Oh they did indeed but those silly little 4500's had a bad tendency to want to travel far from home over the years. Hard to keep in one place.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Oh they did indeed but those silly little 4500's had a bad tendency to want to travel far from home over the years. Hard to keep in one place.
At least four of them found their way to Arkansas. That Randy Bishop is one lucky guy.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
If were me I would upgrade the car and keep the trailer. The Oxygen is a cool rare find and to have one given to you ..... well that's just a dream come true!

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Shoot, I'd buy a vehicle JUST to tow the Oxygen.... just sayin'!

Me too!

Such cool trailers, I would buy a older vehicle that I could just tow it with..........

I too would consider purchasing, I know I am late to the party. But thought I would throw my name in the hat.....................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
...the Kia, my daily driver since 2005, and I dread the day- if it ever comes- when I might have to buy a different car!
I feel the same way about my 2003 Honda Odyssey LX. It is the only car I ever bought brand new at a Dealership, and I bought it specifically because it was not-a-truck that could tow a one-and-three-quarters ton trailer.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #29

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Please Read the Manual!

I don't see any point in speculating about the towing capacity of the Sportage, when the owner is available to read the owner's manual and the same manual is readily available on-line to anyone:
Kia Motors America - MYKia login
Kia Canada - Kia Owners - Owner's Manual (no login or registration required)

Even more puzzling is why the owner won't read the manual, which has both extensive explanations of loading and towing limits, and a very clear statement of the trailer weight limit value for each variation of the vehicle, with and without trailer brakes. Of course this forum is available if there are questions about the material in the manual, after reading it.

Hint: the towing information starts at page 54 of section 5, and the limits are in a table on page 60.

Note: Kia's manual for the Sportage is typical of owner's manuals - they are usually quite informative, and the manuals for several brands are available online.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Even more puzzling is why the owner won't read the manual, which has both extensive explanations of loading and towing limits, and a very clear statement of the trailer weight limit value for ....
Brian, it appears the owner has read his manual as he not the one speculating on his Sportage's tow capacity. Others are though

What the OP is unclear on though is the actual weight specs for his trailer - the trailer specs he has do not seem likely to be very accurate.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I feel the same way about my 2003 Honda Odyssey LX. It is the only car I ever bought brand new at a Dealership, and I bought it specifically because it was not-a-truck that could tow a one-and-three-quarters ton trailer.
I have to say that Honda definitely has my attention in the potential-new-tug department!

What they've done in recent years with the integrated hitch (for now I think only on the Pilot) is brilliant... very forward-looking given the increasing number of folks that think exactly as you so well express it above.

Francesca
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #32

Quote:
I have to say that Honda definitely has my attention in the potential-new-tug department!

What they've done in recent years with the integrated hitch (for now I think only on the Pilot) is brilliant... very forward-looking...
I agree that a hitch receiver integrated into the vehicle structure is a good idea, but I don't think it is brilliant - it adds no capability beyond that of a properly mounted add-on hitch, so any vehicle with sound provisions to attach a hitch is just as capable.

I also wouldn't credit Honda with any achievement here - integrated hitches are the normal practice in the industry for body-on-frame SUVs and are quite common in pickup trucks. Honda only does this on the Pilot and perhaps Ridgeline, as far as I know. It may be unusual for a unibody (such as those Hondas), but even the Pilot's receiver is probably bolted on - it's just well-integrated into the vehicle and specifically into the bumper cover and possibly bumper support beam. The VW Touareg (and it's Audi and Porsche variants) have an equally well-integrated hitch (and higher towing capacity than a Pilot).

I'm not anti-Honda (we own two, and I have put a few hundred thousand kilometres on four of them over the years) - I'm just providing a broader perspective.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Brian, it appears the owner has read his manual...
Do you think so? I don't... and I didn't mean to suggest that Sylvain was the one who was speculating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
I have a small suv with a classe 1 hitch. (rated for 2000lbs towing capacity and 200lbs for the tongue...
This is the only rating information Sylvain has reported, and it is (as he explained) for the hitch, not the tug.

Quote:
... the trailer has a towing brake that I can use in conjunction with my brakes, how would that info alter towing specs?
This is very clearly and directly answered in the Kia's owner's manual - there would be no reason for someone who had read and understood the manual to ask this, and he isn't asking for clarification of anything in the manual.

Sylvain - if you have read the manual, please accept my apologies for my faulty assumption... but it would be good to acknowledge that you now have the answers to your questions about the tug's capacity.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Even more puzzling is why the owner won't read the manual

You're a real card, Brian!

What on earth would any of us do with the too-much-time we have on our hands if folks read the manual?!?

And need I remind you that nothing is true 'til verified here at FiberglassRV?

Francesca
Old 11-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Do you think so? I don't... and I didn't mean to suggest that Sylvain was the one who was speculating.
Well perhaps not initially but I am pretty sure that by know he is clear that he only has a 2000lb tow limit with trailer brakes which matches his hitch specs and that its a pretty good bet that the trailer he was hoping to tow with the tug is going to weigh in at more than that. Which at the end of the day is the more important factor
Old 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #36

Name: sylvain
Trailer: Bonair Oxygen
Ontario
Hi everyone. Wow..you guys and gals are a passionate bunch. I love it.
Ok, so I did read the Sportage owner's manual and towing capacity is clear.

This is where it gets confusing: I have a brochure for the Oxigen and it states that indicated weights on the brochure are approximates only...!?! Hmmm, okay. The brochure mentions that dry weight (including appliances) is 2080 Lbs, there is a fluids allowance of 212 Lbs and a cargo allowance of 416 Lbs. Grand total: 2708 Lbs.

Then there are ads on this forum that mention different weights for the Oxigen. IE: A seller mentions that the Oxigen is very easy to tow because the weight is under 1900 Lbs. Another mentions that he saw a Pontiac Sunfire pulling an Oxigen on the highway...Also, my father has been pulling his (now my) Oxigen with a Subaru Legacy (which has the same towing capacity as a Sportage) with no problems over several years.

In any case, this is my conclusion: I will have to weigh the trailer according to industry standards when I head to the maritimes in the spring and make a decision then.

Thanks for the comments and be sure that I will be posting a "for sale" ad on here eventually..
Sylvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #37

Registry
Glad to hear you have it figured out

It is very common for sellers BTW to understate the weight of their trailers. Apparently they have never bothered to actually weigh them.

Regarding your fathers Legacy depending on the year of it the tow cap with a trailer with brakes my have actually have been 2700lbs rather than 2000 lbs - Subaru bumped up the tow cap in 05 to 2700lbs from 2000lbs,
Old 11-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #38

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
If the weight is anywhere near 2,000 you could also try a weight reduction program. Maybe there are 2 20 lb propane tanks that you could swap with a 10 lb fiberglass, etc.

This being written by a person who carries only one gallon of water, has no refrigerator and wants to downsize to a 10 lb fiberglass propane tank.

Having said that I think you really do need a smaller trailer for your vehicle.

Hope to hear more from you in the future. Stick with us.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #39

Name: sylvain
Trailer: Bonair Oxygen
Ontario
Hi Nancy, thanks for the mention, I am considering this option, I have experience with commercial/industrial materials and design and will be re-thinking the interior with a focus on:
a. weight reduction
b. functionality
c. esthetics

But this is a long term project...
Sylvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Hi Nancy, thanks for the mention, I am considering this option, I have experience with commercial/industrial materials and design and will be re-thinking the interior with a focus on:
a. weight reduction
b. functionality
c. esthetics

But this is a long term project...
That's the spirit, Sylvain - no trailer ever born is right for an owner 'til it's been remodeled to the owner's satisfaction!

Francesca

P.S.sssst....

(But you might brace yourself for howls of protest from lurking
Unsullied-Original-Bonair Owner Wannabees out there)......

F....

Tags
oxygen