1975 Boler Flooring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2023, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Mac
Trailer: Boler
Connecticut
1975 Boler Flooring

Hi there -

We are new to RVs and fiberglass, so I think I'm in the right place.

We are working to fix up a 1975 Boler - but the floor has a little bit of damage, mostly right where you enter the cabin. My feeling is that we need to get the floor squared away before we dig too deep into washing and renovating the rest of the unit - because I think we're going to create more holes and cracks if we don't do something soon.

So, I had a few questions about that that I was hoping someone here could help me answer:

1. Is there any reason to not put down a mat and some Bondo fiberglass resin on the entrance panel, right off the bat?

2. Are there any additional considerations for how to make the new fiberglass layer adhere to the aluminum frame in the door way?

3. Are there other aspects of putting fiberglass flooring besides the mat and the resin that I should know beforehand? Some kits sell acetone, some kits have hardener and epoxies separately - what is the best course of action for a Boler floor?

Anyway, thank you for any help! We're very, very new to this, again.
furio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:27 AM   #2

Name: Mindy
Trailer: 13’ Boler
Ontario
Boler repairs

The first thing is to figure out WHY the floor is damaged. Is it from a driving mishap OR due to a frame problem. After having 3, I normally go to the frame. Once you figure out why, then you could work on how. Try Boler.ca for an amazing site with LOTS of tips. Congrats.
Gmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 12:55 PM   #3

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Pictures, if you have any, help a lot...
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:44 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've never owned a Boler, but the comment above makes sense with what I have read.

Fiberglassing over a problem makes no sense. I'd go to the manufacturers section (upper right) and read every Boler thread there about frame replacement.

Of course, diagnosing an issue over the internet is fraught with challenges.

When I was looking for a Trillium project, I read every thread first, and avoided a lot of mistakes!

Many of the trailers built almost 50 years ago were never thought to last this long, and some of the decisions around frame and axle design were underwhelming.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler