Magnet Latches Casita Doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2022, 06:34 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Magnet Latches Casita Doors

Hi - I am trying to fix my never-ending problem with the storage doors on my Casita. The latches are terrible. I broke a door. I cannot get them to stay latched or shut. I saw a member mention he used magnets - I am thinking like the ones on kitchen cabinets. Has anyone installed these? If so, can you recommend a product? Also, could you share a picture of how to install the magnetic latches? Thank you for your help - Amy (Camping in rainy weather - so this can be a project for me,)
Old 12-22-2022, 09:23 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
NC
I haven’t had any issues with my latches on my 2021 Casita. The cabinet above the microwave i did install a hatch spring to hold that door up. I also installed a magnet on my exterior hatch near the water tank. I used vhb tape to hold it in place.

You can see these in my video here: https://youtu.be/Cw6WlcL1990
Shocksll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:39 PM   #3

Name: Michelle
Washington
We've had several of the latches in our 2011 Casita SD just fail. We installed two of the magnetic latches on the doors of the overhead compartments.

These are the type where one must use a magnet to lock or unlock the latch. Quite honestly, I hate the darned things. Only because we got into the habit of keeping the magnet..only one in a package of two latches, in one spot and NOT on the latch itself, do we manage to find it.

The magnetic latches seem to lock of their own accord. I know, physically it's impossible, but there you have it.

Sometimes despite the magnet, the latch refuses to unlock without an argument.
Other times they unlock of their own accord. This is usually when we've been traveling and we come into the camper to find the contents of the cupboard on the seats and floor below.

I wish Casita would come up with a better latching system, although by now..our camper is over ten years old..perhaps they have.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

Florida
I have heard complaints for years. I think Casita may have finally bought the correct latches. The ones they installed were too shallow and the push buttons go bad very quickly. I purchased new ones, but was looking for an easy fix. Sounds like the magnets may not be the best solution.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
We've had several of the latches in our 2011 Casita SD just fail. We installed two of the magnetic latches on the doors of the overhead compartments.

These are the type where one must use a magnet to lock or unlock the latch. Quite honestly, I hate the darned things. Only because we got into the habit of keeping the magnet..only one in a package of two latches, in one spot and NOT on the latch itself, do we manage to find it.

The magnetic latches seem to lock of their own accord. I know, physically it's impossible, but there you have it.

Sometimes despite the magnet, the latch refuses to unlock without an argument.
Other times they unlock of their own accord. This is usually when we've been traveling and we come into the camper to find the contents of the cupboard on the seats and floor below.

I wish Casita would come up with a better latching system, although by now..our camper is over ten years old..perhaps they have.
I installed the magnetic baby locks on all of the doors and drawers on our Campster. The previous owner had bungee cords running all over. They work well to keep them closed while traveling. They are hidden so you have to know the location to trigger the magnet. I go through and unlock everything when we stop. My wife has no idea where the sweet spots are. I suppose you could put a small sticker on the face.

I got mine at HD.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #6

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Another trick that many of us have used.....pull the plastic molding down a bit where the latch is....put a match stick our small piece of wood inside the molding.....push molding back in place.....that little piece of wood is enough to make the latch clip better......I did this on two cabinets that kept opeing years ago.....have not had the problem since. Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #7

Washington
Thanks, Jerrybob, we'll try this. It's sad, though, that we have to jury rig something as simple as a latch.

As for locating where to put the magnet (for the magnetic latches) we did put stickers on the spot.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #8

Florida
Thanks - I’ll try it!
Old 12-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #9

Florida
Christmas miracle - it worked

[QUOTE=jerrybob;851930]Another trick that many of us have used.....pull the plastic molding down a bit where the latch is....put a match stick our small piece of wood inside the molding.....push molding back in place.....that little piece of wood is enough to make the latch clip better......I did this on two cabinets that kept opeing years ago.....have not had the problem since. Good luck.[/QUOTE

I have seen people post about the wood fix before - but you are the first person to explain how to do it! Thank you! I used some toothpicks I had - it worked! I’ll do a better job when I get home. I am so mad I broke two doors because of this. I also bought 10 new latches! Thanks again!
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #10

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
[QUOTE=AmyFL;851968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Another trick that many of us have used.....pull the plastic molding down a bit where the latch is....put a match stick our small piece of wood inside the molding.....push molding back in place.....that little piece of wood is enough to make the latch clip better......I did this on two cabinets that kept opeing years ago.....have not had the problem since. Good luck.[/QUOTE

I have seen people post about the wood fix before - but you are the first person to explain how to do it! Thank you! I used some toothpicks I had - it worked! I’ll do a better job when I get home. I am so mad I broke two doors because of this. I also bought 10 new latches! Thanks again!

Glad it worked......
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1982
Locks on doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
Hi - I am trying to fix my never-ending problem with the storage doors on my Casita. The latches are terrible. I broke a door. I cannot get them to stay latched or shut. I saw a member mention he used magnets - I am thinking like the ones on kitchen cabinets. Has anyone installed these? If so, can you recommend a product? Also, could you share a picture of how to install the magnetic latches? Thank you for your help - Amy (Camping in rainy weather - so this can be a project for me,)

You might want to check the hinges, they might be loose or have bent down, due to the dropping of the doors. You might want to get longer screws also, to support the hinges.
This happened to me on the bottom doors on my ID.
Tom C
Thomas A Cronquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:51 PM   #12

Washington
That's a good point, Thomas. We've had hinges break on several of the cupboard doors of our 2011 Casita. The subsequent dropping of the door makes the latches useless.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:29 PM   #13

Florida
I’ll get some longer screws as well. Thank you! I love my Casita Independence - except for the doors and latches -ha! I now have a leak - but I will save that for another thread. (Fan on roof). I have not seen any other Independence models in FL. A lot of other configurations.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #14

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
Hi, I have a Scamp that came from factory with the cab closures with the spring metal that pushes between 2 rollers -- really didn't like them and changed out to rare earth magnets with the cup and mag on the door side and a metal plate on the other side. This is much cleaner, holds better, and less of a pain to open and close. You mount the magnet/cup onto the door, counter sink it with a Forstner bit, and then use a washer/screw on the cab side to mate with magnets. Very straight forward mod. I purchased the sets from Lee Valley (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...nd-washer-sets ) I also upgraded the cab doors with Baltic birch, so was starting with clean slate for putting on new closures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP4419.jpg   IMGP4420.jpg  

IMGP4428.jpg  
Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:32 AM   #15

Florida
Smart! Looks good. I will try it. Thanks - Amy

Tags
casita