Trillium outback tongue weight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #21

Name: Iain
Trailer: Trillium outback
California
Yes, but I can rule out having to consider a Mack truck to do the job!
Dyquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trillium outback tongue weight

Unless you go to lithium ($$$), the only real lighter option is a single large 12V battery. It won’t be as durable as what you’ve got, and you’ll give up at least 100 Ah reserve (half usable). The 2@6V is probably about 225 Ah, while a large G31 12V deep cycle is typically 110-125 Ah.

Honestly, except for the tongue weight problem, the 6V set-up you have is a very good one.

If it weren’t for that 12V fridge, the smaller battery would be plenty, but I’d hate to have food spoil because you had a couple of back-to-back rainy days with little solar input. You could do some testing with your current set-up to estimate your typical daily power needs (remember that the warmer the ambient temperature, the more the fridge will run, so do the test on a warm day).

Tough choices ahead.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #23

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyquen View Post
Yes, but I can rule out having to consider a Mack truck to do the job!
Have fun shopping, lots to choose from!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #24

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
What about loading the trailer for each trip with a bias to behind the axle? That would certainly have an impact. That does seem like an excessively high tongue weight for a small trailer.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #25

Name: Reyn
Trailer: Trillium Outback
Saskatoon
Trillium Outback Tongue Weight Management

I am in the same situation as you with my Trillium Outback, only I discovered the heavy tongue weight after putting several 1000s of km on my beauty. Obviously, my tow vehicle can handle the weight but I would like to have greater balance.

Did you, buy chance, weigh the tongue after leaving the batteries but removing the propane? One thought I had was removing the propane and putting in the camper while in transit.

Otherwise, I am starting to research lithium battery options, as this would immediately solve the issue. But, man live, they are expensive. I will be doing the math in coming days to determine if I can get away with one 12V lithium battery.
reynlauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Also make sure your converter is set up for lithium. Best to get all the real weights first. Tongue weight, trailer axle weight and total trailer weight.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #27

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
When we first got our trillium outback it had dual propane and two batteries up front. Tongue weight around 350. I removed one tank, and replaced the two lead acid batteries up front with two gell cells located inside near the axles under the seats. Now tongue weight is light enough to tow with a subaru forester, under 200# (usually around 180#)
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium, weight