Bigfoot "bench" lid removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Bigfoot "bench" lid removal

Another of today's minor frustrations. I am putting in a small 2.5 gallon 120V mini-tank water heater. The space where the original Atwood was (may it RIP) is fine, but it is very awkward working in there. My thought was to remove the flip up lids completely - not just flip them up!) and that would open that entire space up. And then put it all back when I was done.

I removed the 4 Robertson screws from the side braces, (I will always talk about Robertson screw heads when I can ) but it won't budge. I am coming to believe that she was screwed and glued together.

Any suggestions as to how I might be able to open that space up to work in? Without taking a wee saw to things?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3349.jpg   IMG_3350.jpg  

Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #2

Name: Steven and Paula
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
glue issues

I am a renovator and have seen this kind of issue many times.
I have a multi-tool https://da.lowes.ca/webassets/images...12189029_l.jpg
This will be able to slice through the glue with no visible damage. Providing you stay steady with your angle of attack. Some times I put some tape on an area that the blade will rub against to make sure there are no markings.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #3

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swip View Post
I am a renovator and have seen this kind of issue many times.
I have a multi-tool https://da.lowes.ca/webassets/images...12189029_l.jpg
This will be able to slice through the glue with no visible damage. Providing you stay steady with your angle of attack. Some times I put some tape on an area that the blade will rub against to make sure there are no markings.
Thanks Steven. I also have a multi-tool, so I will probably give that a try. These Bigfoots (and probably most other FG's from that era) were certainly built to take a beating. This little "bench" is about as solid a piece of construction as I have seen in a LONG time! I just need to get the assembly out of the way while I rig the pex and get a good mounting base set up for it. Then it can all go right back where it came from!
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot