Burro Holding Tank Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Landy
Trailer: 17ft. Burro
Florida
Burro Holding Tank Problem

We have a 1988 Burro (17ft.) and I just bought a 15 gallon Barker portable holding tank. The graywater/wastewater outlet on the Burro is only about 4" off of the ground. This outlet on the Burro is about 3" lower than the inlet to the portable holding tank. The only solution that I have so far is to back the Burro onto some leveling blocks to raise it up enough so that I can drain into the portable holding tank. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have installed a Heier room air conditioner in our Burro and it works great. If anyone is interested in the details, let me know via this forum or e-mail me at landyl@fairpoint.net.
Landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have had the same problem with my rigs..except my motorhome. If you can, get a longer hose and put the Barker as far away as possible, so that you are "Pushin" up a gradual angle, instead of a sharp one. let the hose drape onto the ground in the center of the run...(Trust me, this works).

The water will eek into the hose and over gradually..and when the hose is full and the water is pushing .. the tank will "Suck" up the water. Do you know how a toilet works? Same principle. The water is suctioned into the tank when the hose gets full enough and there is pressure behind it.

This works for grey water only..for black..well..Might I suggest a macerater pump.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Camping World carries Thetford Smart-tote waste tanks. Except for the 12 gal which is like yours (top loader), the larger ones have a hose that will lay out flat from the bottom of the tank. You might want to look at one of those tanks to see if they will provide enough fall. Check out the video on the Thetford Smart-Tote page.
Eddie
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCT...5/Default.aspx
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I have had the same problem with my rigs..except my motorhome. If you can, get a longer hose and put the Barker as far away as possible, so that you are "Pushin" up a gradual angle, instead of a sharp one. let the hose drape onto the ground in the center of the run...(Trust me, this works).

The water will eek into the hose and over gradually..and when the hose is full and the water is pushing .. the tank will "Suck" up the water. Do you know how a toilet works? Same principle. The water is suctioned into the tank when the hose gets full enough and there is pressure behind it.

This works for grey water only..for black..well..Might I suggest a macerater pump.
Gina, are you using a garden hose attached to the trailer outlet, and connected to the box with the small garden hose attachment as well instead of using the standard drainage hose....though this would be easier. Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Jim, yes. It won't work with the larger hose..too much air. Here is how it works..at least the suction part.

It won't take all of the water out of the hose, but it gets enough out to make way for more.

It doesn't work with shorter runs..why? I have no clue..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Thanks, Gina, for the info....never thought it would work.
Another idea I had as well. If you do not have a waste disposal in your campground, I was thinking of draining the grey waste water into a small bucket, then pour the bucket into the blue boy with a strainer on top, which is in the TV. From there you can drive a considerable distance until you find a dump station, and then use your battery operated drill with a pump attachment on it to siphon the waste water from the blue boy to the dump station. You could also hook up a 12 v water pump, which would be much faster, but would have to wire it.
So very helpful to get so many great ideas from this forum, as I am watching it on a daily basis. Thanks to everyone for all the great information.....jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro