1978 Burro door repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Name: fred
Trailer: Burro, had aliner
Michigan
1978 Burro door repair

The lower portion of my door seems to be bent outwards. The bottom of the door, when closed is about 2 inches from the inside edge of the floor. It seems that this is a rather wide gap. A previous owner has rigged up a combination of eyebolts thru the top and bottom door edges, which are then pulled together with wire and a turnbuckle. This is supposed to be bending the lower door edge upwards, and closer to the floor, but it isnt working. Has anyone else experienced this? My thought is to remove the entire door and jam it into some sort of a "form" device which will bend it back into the proper shape, and then fiberglass some sort of stiffener to the inside and/or outside to help it stay in the proper shape. Has anybody got any advise?

While working on the door, I would like to make it more secure. As it stands, it would not take much to grab hold of the edges and rip it open, even when the factory installed handle is latched shut. I would like to install a pair of deadbolts, one approximately 1/3 rd of the way from the top, and the other approximatley 1/3rd of the way from the bottom. These would have to be accessable from both the outside (keyed lock) and the inside (handle) just like on the door of your house. Any advise? Thanks
fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Check these out:

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Exterior
Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Michigan
thanks Tom Those articles look interesting.

Fred
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Tom, those downloads are great. Fred, I'll be watching your progress since I'm taking my UHaul in on 4/23 to have the door sag issue hopefully resolved. Mine sags at the top, thus pushing out at the bottom.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Keekers,
Are they putting on new hinges to correct the sag on your CT door? Just curious what the repair would be.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Michigan
the article that Tom refers to called Scamp Door Repair (apparently originally posted by Robert Johans) is exactly what my problem is. I will see what I can do with this technique.

Keekers can you give any more info as to what is going to be done, and by whom, any before, during, and after photos? I am going out right now to see if a sag at the top of my door is what is really pushing out the bottom. Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Fred,
I am going to talk again to the RV tech on 4/17 when I drop her off for the repair. I did post some before pictures on 1/28 or 1/29 and got some good info from Sue and Henry about their Burro door repair. That info is what I will review with the tech prior to him doing anything. Also have a budget to work within.
No new hinges (not available) but they are not bent or cracked. I did replace the hinge pins but that didn't do anything. I'm betting that some kind of reinforcement will be needed behind the hinges. If I get lucky, it might just be that the modification from '84 to '85 door is all that is needed.
I will try to get during and after pictures to help others.
Patti
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Fred,
.............No new hinges (not available) but they are not bent or cracked .........Patti
Patti, it sounds like you don't need hinges, but they are available. Polar Hinge 412 from a commercial refrigerator.

https://www.cottco.com/store/Polar-H...412-Hinge.html
Old 04-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

Colorado
Registry
Tom,
Thanks for the hinge info. I now have it in my log. Hope I don't need to replace them though.
patti

Tags
burro