Questions for burro owners??????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: flagstaff
Missouri
Questions for burro owners???????

Hey all,

I am still on the hunt for a fg camper trailer. I am taking the day off Friday and I'm going to look at a 17' widebody burro and a 19ft scamp fifth wheel camper.

Here are my questions and concerns for you experienced Burro owners.

1. This 17' burro has no heater of any kind. Is it hard to install one of the propane furnace in this type of trailer? Yes we are handy enough. My dad is a machinist, my brother a mechanic and I am an artist and and wood worker who has built a couple fg boats. To me it looks like simply buying the furnace and thermostat, find a cabinet or cubby it fits into, cutting a hole to fit the furnace vent and installing and then hooking up the propane supply and wiring the thermostat. Is there anything to it beyond that I may be missing?

I almost forgot vent it so the co can get out.

2. Since this burro has no heat or AC it leads me to ask if they are insulated in any way at all? Do they have any kind of insulation in them that would be any benefit if I did add heat and ac?

3. This burro has an ice box. I'm not totally against the idea of an icebox. I plan to use this off grid a lot anyway and I figure the cost of buying a block of ice a couple times a week vs the cost of propane for a 2 way fridge will probably be a toss up. My concern is are they effective? What are the experiences and impressions of an ice box from some of you who have used them?

THanks in advance for the info. Hopefully, I will be pulling home my first fg camper Friday evening.

Ray
Ray Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

Name: Shelley
Trailer: Burro
North Carolina
Registry
What year is the Burro? Look for a cubby near the floor just to the left of the door inside. The furnace should have been there if there was one. Another clue, a round gas vent to the left of the door on the outside.

If you install one, remember to vent it. My '82 has a thin metallic enclosed insulation between the outside and inside shells. Check in the cubbies above the sink.

Good luck. Don't forget to check the floor for soft spots.

-Shelley
Shelley D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

Missouri
Thanks for the input Shelly.

I have printed off the buyer's check list to take with me on Friday.

The floor looks to have been replaced already. I definitely will give it a good going over. Its a 6 hr drive just to look at these Friday so I definitely will spend the time to go through them with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks for the heads up on the insulation. Is that metallic insulation fairly effective?

Ray
Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #4

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
The icebox, if in good shape, is valuable to someone! They are hard to find in that size. I have a dorm refrig in my Burro - useless when not plugged in though. The icebox will be like an ice chest except every time you open it, cold leaks out!

Ditto the comments on the propane heater. I tore mine out, opting for a small 120V elec heater/fan. Remember, even though the Burros are uninsulated (some have a little insulation in them), it doesn't take much to heat them up - in fact, making coffee in the morning warms my 13' up enough, except when it's below freezing out.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I doubt if anyone here is going to recommend the installation of propane fueled appliances by those who believe being "handy" is an adequate substitute for training and certification. If you must pursue this, Atwood and Suburban provides installation guidelines and dimensions of specific models and flue extenders in PDF form on the Internet.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
The icebox, if in good shape, is valuable to someone! They are hard to find in that size. I have a dorm refrig in my Burro - useless when not plugged in though. The icebox will be like an ice chest except every time you open it, cold leaks out!

Ditto the comments on the propane heater. I tore mine out, opting for a small 120V elec heater/fan. Remember, even though the Burros are uninsulated (some have a little insulation in them), it doesn't take much to heat them up - in fact, making coffee in the morning warms my 13' up enough, except when it's below freezing out.
Thanks for the info Felix,

I am thinking I may stick with the icebox for a season or two and see how it goes. Like I said I will be camping at times where electricity is not available.

My main concern with the insulation is power usage. In my current pop-up camper I have a small propane furnace and during deer season we go through a BBQ grill size tank every couple of days. I am hoping this burro is more efficient than the canvas walls of that pop-up camper. It would be nice to make it a few more days before having to swap out the tank.

Ray
Old 10-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I doubt if anyone here is going to recommend the installation of propane fueled appliances by those who believe being "handy" is an adequate substitute for training and certification. If you must pursue this, Atwood and Suburban provides installation guidelines and dimensions of specific models and flue extenders in PDF form on the Internet. jack
While I get your point, I scoff at the idea that being trained or certified means much, either.

Between a master plumber, master electrician, and a licensed contractor, they electrified my gas line, had ungrounded outlets in the bathrooms, leaky pipes, etc., costing me $4500 just in materials to do it myself.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #8

Missouri
I agree Jared,

I grew up in my dad's machine shop. While I don't have a certification I can run a manual lathe and milling machine better than most certified machinist now days. A couple summers ago my daughter and i striped my lathe down and completely rebuilt it from the ground up. I'm not a certified tool shop repairman either.

I do get rabbits point... but that's not to say that a regular Joe with a good skill set can't do the job just as well a a guy with a piece of paper. Sometimes better when he actually cares about how it turns out over a guy "just doing his job"

Ray
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I frankly don't care if you hire someone to do the work and that person's certified, or you choose to do it yourself and can do it well. We just ALL want you to be safe and enjoy your Burro for many, many trips.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I wouldn't ask an rv installation mechanic to rebuild a South Bend or a Bridgeport. No doubt some of them would have the patience and focus to do so if you stood over them telling them how, telling them when, telling them how much and no more. Amazing how little respect we have for the other guy's training and experience. As the man said, if you got a man doing that job now, I'm certain I can do it.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have respect for the quality of work, not for the training, experience, or certifications. I'm not suggesting they don't take it to an rv tech, I'm just saying don't assume they know what they're doing solely because their shirt or a piece of paper says so.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Seems to me, that if I know nothing, that I'm better off finding somebody with a piece of paper, than I would be holding a piece of paper in one hand and trying to do it myself.
At least that's my experience.
The knowing nothing part.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I doubt if anyone here is going to recommend the installation of propane fueled appliances by those who believe being "handy" is an adequate substitute for training and certification. If you must pursue this, Atwood and Suburban provides installation guidelines and dimensions of specific models and flue extenders in PDF form on the Internet.

jack
I recommend it! lol.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #14

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Utah
Ice Is Good

When my 3 way fridge was temporarily caput, I put gallon size Ziploc bags with crushed ice in the fridge. Worked like a charm as a temporary fix. Ice lasted quite a long time.

Tags
burro