New to me 1992 16 ft Scamp with bath and bunkbeds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #1

Name: Angel
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
New to me 1992 16 ft Scamp with bath and bunkbeds

I had a couple, well a few questions. I just bought this scamp because I have been wanting one forever and I love seeing them at campgrounds and going down the road.
1st, I'm thinking about removing the rat fur, if that is what its called.
Pros/cons to this
2nd,hot water heater does not work, should i remove or just leave in. Not on planning on using it anyways for the time being.
3. Im painting the cabinets white. What's best paint to use for this?
4th, toilet smells, should i just fill with water and clorox and let sit?
5th, table is homemade, it has the leg but no brackets. Where do I find these?
6th, best way to recover the cushions
7th, fridge is not working, should I remove and put a dorm fridge in its place? the prices of that fridge on scamps website is really expensive

I am sure I will have more questions but this is just a start.
anstar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by anstar76 View Post
I had a couple, well a few questions. I just bought this scamp because I have been wanting one forever and I love seeing them at campgrounds and going down the road.
1st, I'm thinking about removing the rat fur, if that is what its called.
Pros/cons to this
2nd,hot water heater does not work, should i remove or just leave in. Not on planning on using it anyways for the time being.
4th, toilet smells, should i just fill with water and clorox and let sit?
5th, table is homemade, it has the leg but no brackets. Where do I find these?
6th, best way to recover the cushions
7th, fridge is not working, should I remove and put a dorm fridge in its place? the prices of that fridge on scamps website is really expensive

I am sure I will have more questions but this is just a start.
1. Cons.. nothing but cons
2. I removed mine but patching the hole in a way where it looks decent will run $500 - $1000 if you have it done. One option is to put a hatch in. There are a few other options. It all depends on how much you can DIY. But unless the tank is ruptured, it might be worth keeping in place and repairing if you change your mind or sell the camper.
3. No three?
4. I would not use Clorox. You actually want the bio process to work, and Clorox will stop that. Try some bio-degradable and septic safe treatment such as Odorlos. But it might not be possible to stop all the smell.. its a marine commode with attached holding tank.. not like your home.
5.. Assuming it is like the OEM table, then the Scamp website. Call to order and you might get cheaper shipping. If its a different design then it depends on the design.
6. If recovering for a new look.. I wouldn't.. too expensive. If recovering because they are worn, order from Scamp.
7. This can be a very involved topic. Absorption fridges are often repairable, and if maintenance has been neglected then maybe all it needs is a cleaning. Replacing it with another absorption fridge is likely not the best course of action regardless of the situation. If you ALWAYS use shore power then a dorm fridge is fine. If you want to camp where there is no elect power then its not. There are some fridges that run efficiently enough on 12 volts (Danfoos / Secomp type) that you can use a good solar power setup for them. But when you are without power and without enough solar, the propane powered fridge has advantages.

I'm sure I'll have more answers but that is just a start

You are lucky to have so many nice state parks for camping in South Carolina. I am in North Caroline and usually go to SC state parks instead of NC places.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #3

Name: Angel
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
I added number 3. Its Friday and long day. Lol
Yes I love James Island County Park, Dreher Island i live really close to, I also love Hunting Island. I haven't tried any in NC yet
anstar76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp