U-haul CT13 Door Lock -partial replacement? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 U-Haul CT13
California
Registry
U-haul CT13 Door Lock -partial replacement?

Hello,

We just bought a CT13 and are starting the process of fixing it up and making it our own. We bought it without a key for the lock and I was lookin' to get a new key somehow. I talked to a guy at u-haul that used to work on them and they said that they just used to replace the tumbler all the time when customers would lose their keys, but he didnt tell me about how to get a hold of the replacement tumbler cylinder.

Does anyone know where I could find that part? Or if anyone has any advice about getting a new key for the ct13 door, the part is in really good shape and it'd be great to just get a new key cut or a new tumbler rather than a whole new latch.

Thanks, any advice appreciated,

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181010_145412651.jpg  
Do Stuff Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
First off, join the Uhaul Facebook group. It is speculated, but not known for sure, that all the campers were keyed alike. I know my key fit another owners Uhaul. There would have been a limited number of key variations so maybe we were just lucky. The latch is a Bargman L300, long out of production, and frequently for sale on eBay at inflated prices. Originally they sold for about $100. Sometimes the lock cylinders come up on eBay. Note that there is a small pin on the side of the lock cylinder that has to come out to remove the cylinder. If you can find an older locksmith they may have a master key or can make you a key. My locksmith had to order the Bargman key blanks for me. Another bit of info; to lock the door using the inside lock rod, the lock cylinder has to be centered in it's rotational travel, that is turn key one direction, then other direction, then halfway back so it is centered.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Burro
California
Hi Sean, I got a Burro a couple of years ago and took the lock off the door, brought it to a local locksmith and they rekeyed it with no problem. They didn't seem to think it was a big deal at all, and I picked up the lock and new keys that afternoon. Maybe I was just lucky, but you could try that route.
Krestow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 U-Haul CT13
California
Registry
Thanks,

Yea Im bringing it to locksmiths around town, and Im sure one of them will be able to do it!
Do Stuff Studio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul