Aluminum seam band on Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #1

Name: Dave and LeeAnn
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Illinois
Aluminum seam band on Casita

I had to remove a section of the belly band that covers the seam on my 84 Casita in order to fix a leak. Do you think the aluminum band has any structural purpose? The band itself, I'm assuming factory, is ill fitting and poorly executed. I think a rubber or plastic c channel gasket or trim would conform to the curves much better than the original. Obviously it wouldn't have the strength of the aluminum. I am going to put the band back on for now but contemplating removing all of it and replacing with the rubber or plastic channel. If it is merely for the looks of covering the two half seam it will be a cleaner and probably sealed better repair.
daleeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I think the band is cosmetic and is UV resistant. Any plastic or rubber gasket would be less UV resistant and eventually need to be changed.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a Big Foot with the vinyls c channel. I also have a Casita.. much prefer the Casita metal band. Looks better and much more durable.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Also the Casita belly band can be very useful for hanging various things like lights, cooking implements. etc., and others have designed small shelves to mount on the belly band.

Walt
Old 09-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #5

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Also the Casita belly band can be very useful for hanging various things like lights, cooking implements. etc., and others have designed small shelves to mount on the belly band.

Walt
I love the little table I made to be clamped on the belly band of our 16' Casita with a supporting attached broom stick to the ground. Somewhere in the modifications section of this feed is my review of the table and photo. I put cooking needs for the chef who is cooking outside of the camper, put our binoculars, hats, whatever, so I don't have to keep going in and out. (my knees hurt)
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita