Our Updates '79 Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2019, 05:28 AM   #21

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
I chose to use 1/8" dia. x 3/16" long aluminum pop rivets. Short rivets so that they don't show inside. Had to be careful to use a collar stop on drill bit so that I only drilled through the fiber glass and not the ensolite inside. Oh, and be sure to use Stainless snaps with a bit of butyl underneath.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #22

on Ontario
Registry
With an interest in improving the efficiency of our original Boler fridge I added a computer power supply fan to blow air up over the condenser coils and a smaller CPU fan blowing down the cooling fins inside the fridge. These fans are a very low draw on the battery and very quiet.
I started with just an ON/OFF switch but have now added a small temperature control module (pictured with the temperature sensor) which turns the fridge on, when it get too warm inside, and off, if it gets too cold. It also displays the inside temperature without having to open the fridge to read a thermometer.
The controller is not yet permanently mounted and I have not yet tried it camping, but it works great in the driveway—and its carefree.
Attached Thumbnails
TempCont.jpg  
Old 10-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #23

on Ontario
Registry
Some pictures of the fans installed at the back of the fridge and inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 3 (1).jpg   Boler - 1 (5).jpg  

Boler - 2 (2).jpg   Boler - 4 (1).jpg  

Old 10-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #24

on Ontario
Registry
Some pictures of the power switch and temperature/fans control unit. The control unit will likely be mounted next to the power switch in the base of the bench next to the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (6).jpg   Boler - 2 (3).jpg  

Old 10-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
would you have a link for the temp controller?
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:56 AM   #26

on Ontario
Registry
This is one I'm using, but I'm sure there are others... Temperature Controller
Old 11-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #27

on Ontario
Registry
The missus was concerned with having the stove so close to the cushions so I added this stainless steel divider.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (7).jpeg   Boler - 2 (4).jpeg  

Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #28

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
This is how the table looks installed. It's a cantilever support. The table slides to the right to allow easier entry on the left.

Love the mods you have done made a note of several to incorporate into my 76 boler. Can you give me more details on how you constructed the front dinette table. One question is this strong enough if someone leans on it to stand up without a front or centre support?

Thank you
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #29

on Ontario
Registry
It's quite strong, but the only way to know how strong is to do a destructive test--which I won't. I've leaned on it and put pretty heavy things on it, but I wouldn't sit on it. The main strength comes from 2 - 9/16" x 1-1/2" pine boards that run the length. I could easily break one of them in this cantilever type support but two are more difficult, and then the added layers of 3/16" birch plywood on the top and bottom give it more strength.
The picture above shows the basic arrangement of the core onto which I used a water based contact cement to bond that sheet of birch and then a plastic laminate on the top one of those.

Do you need more than that description? More pictures?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #30

British Columbia
Quote:
It's quite strong, but the only way to know how strong is to do a destructive test--which I won't. I've leaned on it and put pretty heavy things on it, but I wouldn't sit on it. The main strength comes from 2 - 9/16" x 1-1/2" pine boards that run the length. I could easily break one of them in this cantilever type support but two are more difficult, and then the added layers of 3/16" birch plywood on the top and bottom give it more strength.
The picture above shows the basic arrangement of the core onto which I used a water based contact cement to bond that sheet of birch and then a plastic laminate on the top one of those.

Do you need more than that description? More pictures?

Thank you for the info. A pic of the underside of the table would be helpful. Are you able to take the table out to make an extra bed?
Old 11-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #31

on Ontario
Registry
No, this table was made wider for convenience and to slide to the right to allow easier entry into the left seat, rather than cutting off a corner of the table.

Our Boler was a bunk bed version converted to a dinette. It's very narrow between the seats. One of seat backs was measured to be used for the bed conversion--which plan to seldom if ever use anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (8).jpg   Boler - 4 (2).jpg  

Boler - 3 (2).jpg   Boler - 2 (5).jpg  

Old 11-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #32

British Columbia
Quote:
No, this table was made wider for convenience and to slide to the right to allow easier entry into the left seat, rather than cutting off a corner of the table.

Our Boler was a bunk bed version converted to a dinette. It's very narrow between the seats. One of seat backs was measured to be used for the bed conversion--which plan to seldom if ever use anyway.

Thank you for your information and pics.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Looks nice. I like the lever very much.
Quote:
"Would you post any pics and or story to the fans about the stove."

I copied the fan idea from someone else. We had an original range hood discharging out the side. It sounded like a jet plane taking off. We removed it but wanted something to keep air moving when it's raining out and our rain sensing Fantastic Fan wouldn't work (I've since then also added a kill switch to that sensor).
These two computer fans are very quiet and ensure a cross breeze.
I added a small lever, on the side next to the on/off, to mechanically open the vent damper since the fan are not noted for having a lot of push.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #34
CBG

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: scamp
United States
oooh, very clever. Thanks for the info. Love how helpful folks are on the group!
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #35

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Quote:
We've be working on updating our Boler this summer. One of the objectives was to reduce weight where we could. Our unit had a bunk bed but the previous owner converted it to a dinette, and we reworked that to include a table that sides to allow for the tight stove side entry. Anyway too many details and a picture is worth a thousand words...
Th board is set in a 'c' under the table top. It pulls out and rests on whatever you want for legs, then we toss the little mattress we made on that, flip the sheets and bedding down and we're done. During the day we toss the bedding onto the main bed, throw the little mattress on top (cat loves to sit up there and watch the world go by) shove the board back under and you have all your floor space back. Hope this helps.
Vivian
Attached Thumbnails
Bed extension board.jpg   bed extension mattress.jpg  

bed with extension shoved in underneath.jpg  
Old 06-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #36

on Ontario
Registry
My latest project involved removing a 5" and a 3" fitting from the outside wall. The 3" was the old opening for the power cord. It was located just above the sink drain connection. I didn't like the potential of water spilling on the power cord. The 5" was cover installed over the hole left after the furnace was removed. After fiberglass and paint to fill the holes I moved the sink drain a few inches toward the front and installed a new 110V power inlet in it's place.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (10).jpg   Boler - 1 (11).jpg  

Old 06-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #37

on Ontario
Registry
Finally got around to installing the fridge fan controller that I mentioned earlier. Still needs a bit touching up but...
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 2 (3).jpg   Boler - 1 (6).jpg  

Boler - 1 (12).jpg  
Old 06-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #38

Name: Adam
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Steve, Could you tell me what paint you used over your fiberglass patch? I just patched a small area of damage on my Scamp and want to paint it.

Great mods. I love the fans added to the fridge to improve heat rejection!
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #39

on Ontario
Registry
My Boler was painted, previous to my owning it, using an exterior paint. I simple matched the colour (or color) with another high quality outdoor paint. I used a quality primer over the patch and then the exterior paint using a roller. It's not nearly as nice a paint job as using an automotive paint but it's sure easier to touch-up as needed.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #40

on Ontario
Registry
Been camping in Algonquin and found it tedious to fill a water jug and then empty it into our internal tank.

So, made some changes that give me the option of using that internal tank or simply placing the jug I just filled beside my Boler and pumping water from it.

Works great, and I can keep/use the internal tank when or if I choose just by turning a three-way valve.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2803.jpg   IMG_2804.jpg  

Tags
boler