Zombie Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #21

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Sunrader
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
Today I put in 200 square feet of foil insulation which required a gallon of contact adhesive. Fun stuff. Of course I though a gallon would be more than enough to do the insulation and the bulkhead covering. Nope! I still have the put the insulation in the overhead compartments and under the beds. Then put in the bulkhead covering. So I ordered more adhesive through Amazon. Prime is paying for it self this year.
Hey Eric, cool build! You're right, a lot of similarities between this one and my Sunrader build.

Question for you: how did you find working with the contact cement on the fibreglass? Did you surface prep the FG first by sanding/rouging it? Did you use the low-VOC contact cement or the heavy duty solvent-based stuff? I have a similar glue-on idea — I want to use cork underlayment as an insulative wall panel in my cabover bed area.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #22

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
I started by sanding the surface with 60 grit on a orbital sander to rough up the surface and remove most of the old glue. Once that was done I wiped everything down with Xylene, the recommended cleaner form Weldwood. Then I sprayed DAP Weldwood contact adhesive Landou Top and trim. It does require a respirator while working inside the camper but overall it is a pretty easy to use. I bought an $18 HF paint spray gun with 2mm tip and it worked great. The can said it would cover up to 220 sq/ft and I got just about that done. I still have about 80 sq/ft to insulate and then I have to put the same number of sq/ft of bulkhead carpet up. Before I done I will have used approximately 3 gallons.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #23

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Alberta
Registry
Wow Eric! Great job so far - lots of work and I'm interested in seeing your final floor plan and how you configure the kitchen and bath...

Keep it up and keep posting pics!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #24

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Alberta
Registry
Also - have you been logging and posting your Airstream rebuild? If you have a link, it would be interesting to see that too...
Old 10-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #25

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Sunrader
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I started by sanding the surface with 60 grit on a orbital sander to rough up the surface and remove most of the old glue. Once that was done I wiped everything down with Xylene, the recommended cleaner form Weldwood. Then I sprayed DAP Weldwood contact adhesive Landou Top and trim. It does require a respirator while working inside the camper but overall it is a pretty easy to use. I bought an $18 HF paint spray gun with 2mm tip and it worked great. The can said it would cover up to 220 sq/ft and I got just about that done. I still have about 80 sq/ft to insulate and then I have to put the same number of sq/ft of bulkhead carpet up. Before I done I will have used approximately 3 gallons.
Thanks for the thorough feedback, Eric. I'll let you know how it goes with my cork application.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:53 AM   #26

TN
Registry
Thanks Andrew. I haven't quite nailed down the galley layout yet. Due to the curve of the shell and the window layout I opted for a 12volt chest refrigerator which presents a unique installation challenge. Option one requires a large sliding drawer to access the fridge. Option two would be a fixed position for the fridge with a section of the counter top that has to flip up to access the fridge. Option two would also move the fridge to the curbside. You can see from the floor plan the basic layout with option one.

And here is a link to the Argosy "Love Shack"

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f22...ck-183431.html

[IMG]floor plan by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #27

TN
Registry
Got some things done in the Boler the last couple of months. I got the bulkhead carpeting in and cabinets are in progress. The overhead cabinets are complete, I do need to install the bulkhead carpet inside them but I have to wait for warmer weather so the glue will work.
Building he front galley has been a little challenging because every piece is a unique measurement. Since the Refrigerator is the main piece of he galley I put that in first and I'm building out around it.
At the opposite end I built the the HVAC cabinet that covers the diesel heater and hold the window AC unit. It will also be the table support, if I can figure it out.
[IMG]P1016853 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]drawers3 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Gally cabinets face frames by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Fridge 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]fridge 2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]drawers2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Boler drawers1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #28

TN
Registry
Slowly but surely parts are coming together. I got most of the big items painted and a coat of polyurethane on all the appropriate surfaces. I got all the galley cabinet doors installed and the under cabinet lights installed. I cut a bunch of trim molding until I ran out of material. Finally, finishing out the weekend I installed the sliding door rails in the overheads above the beds.

[IMG]Gally light by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Boler overheads 16 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #29

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Hi Eric, checked out your rebuild of your Boler 17....wow!!!! Amazing transformation! You’re doing great work and...you’re working on another project as well! When I read that you had used weldwood, reflectix and “rat fur” I imagined what a difficult and smelly task that must have been. I didn’t go through that with the spray foam insulation and bending plywood walls but the amount of work in fitting, installing, fairing, sanding and painting the plywood walls I think would be “same-same-but different” . So glad that is behind me!! Kind of envious of your extra 4 feet compared to the 13’ but then I go...”more weight, bigger tow vehicle and more work to finish that extra 4 feet”. Grateful for my 13 foot Boler . Keep up your good work!
Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Both of you folks are doing amazing work on your Bolers!!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #31

Name: Su
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
This is brilliant, thanks for posting.
Trill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #32

Name: Su
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
I am loving looking through the photos of your project. Very inspiring as I am at a standstill with my surfside- poor thing.

I made some rather uninformed decisions about fiberglass repair and I'm not convinced how i fastened the floors in is the best way to do it.
Curious about your flooring, what's underneath the ply? Anything? How is it attached?

Thanks
-S
Trill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #33

TN
Registry
Trill the Boller 17 has a fiberglass floor. I laid 1/2 inch plywood on top and screwed to frame and cross members. I would suggest that you start a thread with pictures to get suggestions.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #34

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
you got this handled!

Quote:
if I can figure it out.
From the looks of things, you got this handled! Keep up the great work.
Fredomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #35

TN
Registry
Thanks Fred hopping it doesn't fall apart on the first trip. I wonder if I should have used glue or maybe nails
Old 03-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #36

TN
Registry
Well another month has passed and I managed to get a couple of things done. Lets see, I built a buck/mold for making a fiberglass shower pan then made a pan. I also bought a couple of slabs of butcher block and made a countertop. Oh I also got a water tank and installed it, so now I have 25 gallons of fresh water.

[IMG]counter top 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Counter top 5 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Shower pan buck 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]shower pan 2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Wow beautiful kitchen!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #38

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Casita
New York
Wall Covering Question

Quote:
Today I put in 200 square feet of foil insulation which required a gallon of contact adhesive. Fun stuff. Of course I though a gallon would be more than enough to do the insulation and the bulkhead covering. Nope! I still have the put the insulation in the overhead compartments and under the beds. Then put in the bulkhead covering. So I ordered more adhesive through Amazon. Prime is paying for it self this year.

[IMG]Insulation 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Insulation 2 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

During COVID I've been rebuilding a 1999 Casita. The exterior is done and now I'm into the interior. I have a question about the Reflectix and hull liner. Is this the standard insulation and wall/ceiling treatment? Mine was almost completely bare when I got it, so I don't know what was there. There's just so much one can do with those curvy surfaces. Had you considered other treatments, or is this the standard for curvy fiberglass campers? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Your camper is turning out really nice. I'm getting some really nice ideas from your build.
Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #39

TN
Registry
Fletcher - Scamp and Casita both do the Reflectix and hull liner. If I were to do it again I would look at doing a grid of laminated wood strips and spray foam insulation. I would cover the walls with bendable plywood.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #40

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Good to see another one saved; fun to see your progress.

Tags
boler