1976 boler floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Question 1976 boler floor

Hello,
So I have recently purchased a 1976 boler. It was musty. Moldy cushions and fabric to them has gone to the dump. There was some rubber backed carpet glued down at some point. I've pulled the carpet out, and the rubber on the smooth surfaces has been scraped clean. The textured surface still has a great deal of rubber bits that I'm not sure how to get out. Each time I walk around little bits come loose, I vacuumed and not 10 mins later there was a bunch there.

My thought is to go in with a pressure sprayer in my hands and a wet vac for my wife. I figure it'll keep the mess kinda low. My more thoughtful half thinks we will introduce too much water.

Any alternative suggestions?
wood turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood turner View Post
Hello,

So I have recently purchased a 1976 boler. It was musty. Moldy cushions and fabric to them has gone to the dump. There was some rubber backed carpet glued down at some point. I've pulled the carpet out, and the rubber on the smooth surfaces has been scraped clean. The textured surface still has a great deal of rubber bits that I'm not sure how to get out. Each time I walk around little bits come loose, I vacuumed and not 10 mins later there was a bunch there.

My thought is to go in with a pressure sprayer in my hands and a wet vac for my wife. I figure it'll keep the mess kinda low. My more thoughtful half thinks we will introduce too much water.

Any alternative suggestions?

Have you tried a wide putty knife or maybe a multi tool

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgVECg&adurl=

Might also heat the rubber up a bit to soften it a bit
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #3

Name: Dave and Bonnie
British Columbia
Bernice is a 77' 17 footer we have been fixing up and using.

We had the same problem. We just kept at it with a scraper, as the other fellow suggests. After, we put down click laminate flooring on top of the fibre class flooring, just like its done on house floors. All good and still good after 3 years.

Stay with it, they are so worth it, especially now - need the real vacation after months of staycation!!
Attached Thumbnails
Boler Trailer External Side View.jpg  
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
My sister lives in Canmore Alberta. She says perhaps she will go out and just sleep in her Boler for a few nights.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #5

Name: Renee
Washington
I used foaming bathroom cleaner and a big metal brush. Let the cleaner soak in a bit, then go at it with the wire brush. Won’t hurt the fiberglass floor but will get the gunk up. Open all the windows and vents. Wear gloves..
Old 07-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeN View Post
Wear gloves..
And goggles! You don't want to get that stuff in your eyes.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #7

Name: David
Nova Scotia
So I tried a few things and had various levels of success.
First off was various brushes (hand brushes, firm bristles) By themselves it was not at all successful.
I tried the foaming bubbles, no success there either.
I bought a small can of "goof off" it worked, but the fumes were harsh and it would take too much to get the whole floor done (like a gallon I would guess)

I bought a nylon brush that mounts in a drill, then I doused the floor in a mixture of powder laundry detergent and water. Instead of a dust I had a slurry, very clean rubber free floors.

Now I have to make all new cupboard doors and bench access covers. Then I have to upholster the new cushions.
wood turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler