Boler Voyageur 1300 Reno - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #81

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
After a chat one afternoon with my brother about my plan I moved onto the next stage. I removed the foam from around the perimeter of the door, inserted some deck screws to act like re-bar anchors, clamped the new aluminium frame to the old door interior and filled the void with low expansion spray foam.
A day or two later I trimmed the foam flush with the aluminium. Everything seems great.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1131 [417893].jpg   IMG_1134 [417879].jpg  

IMG_1136 [417880].jpg   IMG_1137 [417881].jpg  

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #82

Ontario
Registry
The door panel insert that I made last year was damaged by the many falls and fixes so I made a new maple panel. This time I added another maple leaf to the fridge door. I bought some aluminium tile transition trim at the Habitat for Humanity Re-store to frame the new panel. I riveted the new trim to the aluminium channel and slid my door panel in. Looks pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1185 [417883].jpg  
Old 06-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #83

Ontario
Registry
The new door fits on the old fridge quite well. At one point this winter I had resigned myself to having to buy a new fridge but this seems to work great. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

P.S. You might also note our "vintage" find this winter in this photo. Original Tupperware stacking mugs, one for each of us - sounds like I'm going to end up with the brown one though!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1194 [417886]2.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #84

Ontario
Registry
I can't believe that I am this excited about a set of hinges! I have wanted to replace the hinges on my rock guard since I got my trailer. I went through the whole rebuild but I just could not find the right hinges to replace the old plastic ones. I saw some on vacation in Georgia last year at a West Marine but I couldn't justify the cost (that and the 30% conversion rate!!). So I ordered some off of ebay (new experience) back in December. They were stainless steel and cheap and they finally arrived last week (March). It was like Christmas!
Here are some pics.
The old broken hinge - note the electrical wire actually holding the rock guard in place!
The new and the old hinge - it's going to look sooo good!
Lastly, drilling out the rivets - man, I hate drilling on my shell...
Attached Thumbnails
broken.jpg   oldNnew.jpg  

drilling.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #85

Ontario
Registry
Hinges

The next step to figure out is how to attach them. I used aluminum rivets on the plastic hinges and they worked great the past two seasons. I was thinking about stainless screws this time. Makes sense, since the deck hinges are stainless. However, the over-bunk cabinet is right behind the holes. Actually, the lip for the cabinet is right there and it is really tight to get a nut and wrench into, not even sure if I can. It will be interesting. Anyone else try this?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #86

Ontario
Registry
No such thing as a small project, eh? Replacing the hinges took me little longer than I expected. There was the poorly patched hole that had to be re-patched which held me up the longest. Even though spring is here we have had our share of evenings that were too cool to work in an unheated garage, especially with fiberglass.
The screws went into the cupboard and behind the cupboard too so I had a tough time and had to custom bend one of my wrenches to access the nuts. It was a pretty awkward job and I was glad to get my daughter's help. All in all, I am quite happy with the final look. I think that the bright stainless looks much better than the original black plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
extra hole.jpg   patch.jpg  

_MG_5302 web.jpg  
Old 04-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #87

Ontario
Registry
I have been wanting to put my spare tire on the rear bumper but the PO put a trailer hitch in the centre. Last spring I tried mounting a prefab tire mount on the rear off-set but the tire hung too low for my liking and I ended up putting it on the tongue.
I figure if I raised the tire mount 6 in. higher off of the bumper I should be able to mount it without worrying about hitting pavement. Here are a few pics:

I used a 2"x3" steel tube to make the 6" riser and I have cut the (Princess Auto) tire mount so I can weld it straight to the new piece. The 2x3 was wider than the bumper, I figured if I added some tabs it might be a stronger joint than a butt weld. I also had to angle the back of the riser to avoid contacting the shell. (Might need to shave more yet!)
I don't have a welder, guess I need to hit up some friends and family next.
Attached Thumbnails
front mount.jpg   materials.jpg  

riser.jpg   newmount.jpg  

Old 04-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #88

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jay, perfect excuse....er, reason to pick up a nice wire feed, can't have to many toys .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #89

Ontario
Registry
Funny story there Dave!! Set a car on fire just once and now there is a no welding in the garage rule. I'll just invite my brother over...
Old 04-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #90

Ontario
Registry
Spare tire mount - Boler

Finished off the rear mount for the spare tire. I think it worked out pretty good. Now, I need to make a vinyl decal for my tire cover.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_5319.jpg   _MG_5316b.jpg  

Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #91

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
WOW what an incredible re do. We have had our boler for 10 days, its all white and the other day my wife said, hey paint it red with a big gold dragon down the sides. Looking forward to more pictures and up dates
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #92

Ontario
Registry
Tidied up the electrical this week. Bought a fuse block from Princess Auto and made myself a negative bus bar. Tucked them into the street side couch storage.
I also bought a battery charger/tender. I hard wired it in for the odd occasion we get an electrical site. Should also let me run my LED lights while charging.

On a sad note, my Fridge died saturday! Pinhole in the ammonia tube, trying to find a suitable replacement.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #93

Ontario
Registry
electrical

Here are the pics of the new electrical system. Lots of room to grow (the fridge has been taken off the fuse block).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2316b.jpg   IMG_2317b.jpg  

IMG_2321b.jpg  
Old 05-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #94

British Columbia
nice job Jay, I will update to a fuse block like that. on the interior I added 4 LED Mushroom lights and switches and a 12 volt USB terminal, from Crappy Tire. Went to Costco and bought a Marine Deep cycle, group 27? battery and re wired all my new lights into the battery. I can probably go at least a week without a re charge. My little 120 fridge was already wired in if I camp at a place with 120 power. I also cut and fitted those interlocking mats in all the under seat storage areas
Jan
Old 05-15-2017, 04:32 AM   #95

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Jan! It is amazing how long the battery will last when you are just running LED lights. I have used just my little Canadian Tire solar charger for the past 2 summers. This will give me a faster recharge if I need it.
Jay
Old 05-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #96

British Columbia
I think I will keep my eye out for a 12 volt fan, it might get a bit warm in the egg this summer, if we ever get summer. I also will upgrade all the exterior lights to LED adding 1 above the wheel well for turn signal and mounting 1 above the spare tire as a high mount brake light
Jan
Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #97

Ontario
Registry
Well, I ended up buying a new fridge last week. After lots of calls and desperate pleas I realized that it was time to move on. I put a lot of work into my old fridge and I sure am going to miss that freezer, nothing like pulling ice cubes out of the trailer when you arrive at the campground. Oh well.
Got an awesome deal (50%!) on a scratch and dent 2193. A local guy sells assorted refurbished fridges (heard about him from my usual rv shop), seems virtually brand new with one minor blemish that I am pretty sure I can conceal.
I have spent the last several days "fitting" it into the cabinet. It's as level as I'm going to get it but then again I keep wondering how I am supposed to define level in my trailer - depends on where I put the spirit level...
Made some decent headway tonight though.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #98

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
scratch and dent....

I'll assume that the blemish is on the door as it's the only part showing....

have a close look at the door...every fridge Dometic makes has removable panels...it's a cinch to take the top trim off and slide anything you want in there....

I made the mistake of taping something to the upper (freezer) door...the simili wood finish came off with the tape

I found a map of my favorite area and it's now the front of my freezer
Attached Thumbnails
fridge.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #99

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
If the door panels are dinged you could replace it with Lexan. I used a thin piece of cardboard behind it with pics on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Refer.jpg  
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #100

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the pics Francois & Dave! I think that both your ideas look great. Not sure if I am stuck in a rut or just not very imaginative but I plan on putting another maple veneer in with one of my maple leaf designs in the corner. Not sure if I have to make a new one again (will be #3!) or if I can use the veneer from my last door refurb.
By the way Francois, it looks like you map is of northern coastal BC. Planning on driving out to see your part of the country this summer. Really looking forward to it.
Jay

Tags
boler, boler reno, boler trailer, interior, little red trailer, red boler, remodel, restorations, scamp