side vents on Bolers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: dust in
Trailer: Boler Trailer
British Columbia
side vents on Bolers

Hello all....I have been renovating my 13ft. its coming along nicely....and am now hooking things up again....question I have..I was interested in keeping dust out of the trailer when heading down the road but with 3 side vents on the Boler (1 is the access on bottom for fridge 2 uppers are for the stove).....So question has any one devised a slick system to cap them off during traveling down the road so that dust doesn't flow into the trailer?
dust-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
You might try painters tape over the louvers or behind them. Be sure it is designed to peal off cleanly and not pull off paint with it.

I however have never noticed dust entering the camper, that way, as the back of the fridge by my vents is fairly sealed off.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes. The fridge should be sealed from the cabin, as running on propane produces carbon monoxide.

But won't you run the fridge in transit? If so, the vents should be left uncovered. Both lower vents are for the fridge, BTW. The bottom is the access panel for the controls and the top is the exhaust (for heat and combustion gasses when running on propane).

If you turn the fridge off (and use blocks of ice to keep food cool in transit), you could cover the inside of the vents with pieces of plastic (assuming they're removable). I've heard folks who take their trailers to Burning Man have to take measures like that due to blowing dust in the Mojave Desert.

If the vents are riveted, you could use a rectangle of vinyl with snaps on the corners, maybe Velcro along the sides. That's what Casita does for their A/C vents on models that don't have roof A/C.

For the stove vent you could just tape the flap closed, no?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #4

Name: Lenna & Roy
Trailer: 71 Boler & 73 Boler & 74 Boler
British Columbia
I made fitted filters from furnace filter material and insert these into the vent space while travelling. Seems to help. Of course, the appliances should have the gas off if you block or filter these vents.

Cheers
Lenna K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Registry
The gas should definitely be off while traveling. If you have a three way fridge, there have been several posts on wiring your fridge for 12v while in tow.

That's what I do and it works well.
http://rvlife.com/rv-propane-system-explode/
Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #6

Registry
I think this sums it up. Click image for larger version

Name:	RVPropaneExplosion.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	125211