Weiscraft (Little Joe) Update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Weiscraft (Little Joe) Update

I had requested info on Weiscraft and received it a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I got a followup email stating that one of the people involved, Raymond Lavato was retiring due to health issues, that they have a "Tow and Go" Model priced at $13,500 that is like the Little Joe but without the corner kitchen, toilet, propane or battery (Good for the minimalist I was thinking.), and that the website was soon going to be updated. They have had that same website since maybe forever. I can't wait to see the new website! I do wonder what changes may come though with the retirement of one of the "core" people there.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
As an owner ( I was lucky and found a used one)
mine is called a little joe
W/sink ,2burner stove a/c,furnace and 3way fridge... it is perfect my my wife and I..... easy to tow w/2dr Jeep Wrangler.... it sets up almost instantly... all we do is level it /block wheels and disconnect our Jeep and we are off to fish/hike etc
Can say enough about it
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
Toi

Name: Toi
Trailer: Little Joe
Wyoming
Little Joe on order

I ordered a Little Joe trailer in December 2019. It was supposed to be completed between March and May. With the coronavirus outbreak creating difficulties getting parts like windows it is still not made. The owner Marty has been responsive to my phone calls and nice. I'm not sure when the trailers will actually be back in production.
Toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #4

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Ponderosa Model

I'm amazed as a consumer of fiberglass trailers in Colorado that I hadn't heard of Little Joe until now. It is a tough business!
I want one with a shower which apparently the Ponderosa has.
Have you been to their location, which apparently is in Henderson, CO?
Kevin in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in Denver View Post
I'm amazed as a consumer of fiberglass trailers in Colorado that I hadn't heard of Little Joe until now. It is a tough business!

I want one with a shower which apparently the Ponderosa has.

Have you been to their location, which apparently is in Henderson, CO?

Yes I have... it is run by a couple of guys... well built trailers.... I’m pretty sure they are built on an order basis... in other words they do not have a bunch of units sitting around.... if you go tell them I said hello.... if you want to see mine I’m located in lone tree
Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #6
Toi

Wyoming
Little Joe

I visited the shop in Henderson, CO twice - once to look at a Little Joe trailer the owner Marty has on site and then again to order a trailer. The trailers are made to order. The Ponderosa has a bathroom that likely takes up a lot of space - both the Little Joe and the Ponderosa are made with the same shell. You've probably been to the website but just in case you need information here it is:
Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers
Old 08-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
Toi

Wyoming
Little Joe Camper

I will be picking up my new Little Joe from Weiscraft this coming weekend. I'll share some pics and information about how it tows.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi View Post
I will be picking up my new Little Joe from Weiscraft this coming weekend. I'll share some pics and information about how it tows.

Cool
Be sure and post pictures and updates
What is your tow vehicle?
Old 08-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #9

Name: Jessica
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
New Little Joe pics

I'm really looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing how the towing goes!
JessicaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #10
Toi

Wyoming
Little Joe Camper

I picked up my new Little Joe from Marty at Weiscraft two weeks ago. It's an awesome little camper. I am towing it with a 2015 VW standard (6 gears) TDI sport wagon. I live in Wyoming and it is windy here - the trailer gets a little sway in the wind but not too bad. I may need to put more wieght on the tongue and drive slower (was going 65 to 75 on the highway). I took it up into the mountains and my car towed it fine. The camper is pretty lightweight around 1,100 lbs. Instead of a cooktop I have a cubic mini woodstove in it. I have not used the wood stove yet. I will try to upload some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
processed (14).jpg   processed (10).jpg  

processed (9).jpg   processed (11).jpg  

processed (1).jpg   processed (2).jpg  

processed (5).jpg   processed (7).jpg  

Old 08-29-2020, 11:43 PM   #11

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
anti-sway is inexpensive

Very cheap but very effective:
https://www.harborfreight.com/traile...kit-96462.html
Kevin in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #12

Very cool
A wood stove ... that’s wild
We love ours
Although I am trying to figure out a different setup for table/bed
Old 08-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #13
Toi

Wyoming
Little Joe - sway control

Thank you Kevin for the link - the Hual Master sway control is cheap! After paying the trailer cheap options are what I need.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #14
Toi

Wyoming
Cubic mini woodstove

Hello Alan, I used the cubic mini wood cub stove last night for the first time (https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/prod...nt=11416837252). I decided trying it out at home, away from the house, was the safest option in case the trailer caught fire and I needed to use the water hose and call the fire department. The stove worked great! It heated the trailer quickly and watching the flames through the little stove window was awesome. I’m excited to find out how it works for winter camping when it is really cold.

For safety, I have a fire extinguisher and 2 smoke/carbon dioxide detectors (one low for CO2 and one high for smoke). There is not much space in the trailer and that created some challenges for heat shielding. To take care of that, I bought a cubic mini heat shield for the back of stove and I used diamond plating to shield the couch/bed side and a stainless steal pan to shield the back wall of the trailer. The little stove did not overheat the walls or ceiling. I have a heat activated mini fan on top the stove that moved the air around the trailer (https://ecofan.caframobrands.com/products/ecofan.html) and I cracked a window for H2O. The only problem I've had while pulling the trailer is the wood stove door bounced off the hinges on a really rough gravel road. My husband said that can easily be fixed with star lock washer push-on clips.

Marty installed the stove and did an amazing job anchoring it in place.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #15
Toi

Wyoming
Little Joe & woodstove

Hello Alan, I used the cubic mini wood cub stove last night for the first time. I decided trying it out at home, away from the house, was the safest option in case the trailer caught fire and I needed to use the water hose and call the fire department. The stove worked great! It heated the trailer quickly and watching the flames through the little stove window was awesome. I’m excited to find out how it works for winter camping when it is really cold.

For safety, I have a fire extinguisher and 2 smoke/carbon dioxide detectors (one low for CO2 and one high for smoke). The little stove did not overheat the walls or ceiling. There is not much space in the trailer and that created some challenges for heat shielding. To take care of that, I bought a cubic mini heat shield for the back of stove and I used diamond plating to shield the couch/bed side and a stainless steal pan to shield the back wall of the trailer. I have a heat activated mini fan on top the stove that moved the air around the trailer and I cracked a window for H2O. The only problem I've had while pulling the trailer is the wood stove door bounced off the hinges on a really rough gravel road. My husband said that can easily be fixed with star lock washer push-on clips.

Marty installed the stove and did an amazing job anchoring it in place.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #16
Toi

Wyoming
Little Joe & woodstove

Here's a picture of the woodstove in action.
Attached Thumbnails
processed (1) copy.jpg  
Old 08-30-2020, 08:36 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Where's the wood box?
Old 08-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
That's cool, never considered a wood stove in a camper.

BTW my Lite House (predecessor to the Little Joe) tows just fine at 75, though the TV might be the difference (FJ Cruiser).
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m aware of two people that full-time in 13’ers and use the Cubic Mini for heat all winter (one is in Michigan year round; the other more nomadic). It works best if you stay in one spot for an extended time. Problem with moving around, aside from how to cart it (the wood box problem), is it’s a bad idea (and possibly illegal) to transport fuel wood from one place to another due to invasive species. Scraps of untreated lumber would be okay, but pine and fir aren’t ideal as heating fuel.

Looks like a nice installation with good clearances. Should keep a trailer that size quite toasty.

I heat with wood at home, and my idea of a vacation does not include feeding a stove...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
PS- I don’t recommend towing routinely at 75mph. For one, check your tires. Some trailer tires are only speed-rated to 65mph for sustained driving.

The type of tow vehicle has little to do with causing sway (i.e., a smaller vehicle does not cause sway, though it can make it harder to recover if it does happen). Mostly it’s about weight distribution (minimum 10% tongue weight, around 12% is ideal) and speed. All trailers have a speed at which they will start to oscillate naturally. Forward-biased weight distribution raises the threshold. Any added force, like a passing truck or a gust of wind, can quickly get out of hand if you’re towing close to the threshold.

Since you encounter frequent gusty side winds, a friction sway control bar like Alan suggested would be an inexpensive bit of extra safety. But it’s not a substitute for correct weight distribution and sensible towing speeds.

With a little fine-tuning, your Sportwagen TDI should make an enjoyable, safe, and economical tow vehicle for your Little Joe. Nice looking, too!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
little joe