Breaking news - Scamp moving to 8-ply D-rated tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #21

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McG View Post
Or a manual bike pump - most go to 160psi (with a little sweat...).
Actually, it would take a LOT of sweat and plenty of time. Bike pumps may pump to higher pressures, but they pump very little air with each stroke. Not a problem with the low volume of air needed for a bicycle tire, big problem for the large volume needed for a car/truck/trailer tire. Tried it - bought a 12 volt compressor.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I really like my portable air compressor, a ViAir 88P. It attaches to the battery with alligator clips, so it draws more amps than the ones you plug into the lighter socket and thus it pumps faster. It puts out plenty of air volume and plenty of psi, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I really like my portable air compressor, a ViAir 88P. It attaches to the battery with alligator clips, so it draws more amps than the ones you plug into the lighter socket and thus it pumps faster. It puts out plenty of air volume and plenty of psi, too.
I put a 7 pin trailer plug on my 12 Volt compressor power cord.
The 12 VDC power circuit to the 7 pin receptacle on my vehicle is rated for 40 amps so plenty of power.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Perhaps I need more schooling on trailer tires? Does anyone have a good resource?

Do larger or smaller tires generally have less rolling resistance?
How much does tire pressure affect rolling resistance, sidewall flex, heat build up, trailer sway?

Thanks!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
That should be standard equipment in every vehicle. After all, if the pressure drops (as it will with the temps), how are you going to get a place to add air without driving on the under inflated tires?

In fact, most of them are so cheaply made, it almost pays to carry a primary and a backup inflator.
Many of those found in the big box stores fall into this category but higher quality compressors are available for a bit more money. The ViAir 88P Mike mentioned runs around $65 and is more than adequate for occasional use. It draws 20 amps and would be a great candidate for Steve's seven pin plug mod. Other quality brands used by the off-roading community are ARB, Q-Industries and Puma. Cubic feet per minute (CFM) and duty cycle are much more important factors than maximum PSI when evaluating these units.

Another tire related accessory I think everyone should carry and know how to use is a decent plug kit ($15-$40). This is actually a fairly simple process that can be often be done without removing the tire from your vehicle. NOTE: It's of no value for a catastrophic blowout but great for small punctures.

Ray - thanks for the info; glad to see Scamp moving in this direction.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #26

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Manual bike pump! Lower-tech suits me best.
Thanks for the idea!

BEST
Kai
Old 02-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Manual bike pump! Lower-tech suits me best...
Be aware it will take a lot of pumping for just a few pounds of pressure. Personally I wouldn't be without a good 12V compressor, and I recommend the kind that attaches to the vehicle or trailer battery, not the cigarette lighter variety.

Before you're sitting on the side of the road with that as your only option, try adding 2 pounds of pressure to your vehicle or trailer tires with a bicycle pump as a test.

I tend to think like you, but a very thoughtful friend gave me the 12V compressor some years ago with the words, "You really need one of these." He was right.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #28

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Air pump?

I am a bit confused about the need for and effectiveness of an air pump if you have a tire that is flat due to a puncture. If you can't fix the tire 1st why put air into it? I understand wanting to add air if it is low but does this happen frequently? My only experience with trailers is old and then a large horse trailer.

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
I am a bit confused about the need for and effectiveness of an air pump if you have a tire that is flat due to a puncture. If you can't fix the tire 1st why put air into it? I understand wanting to add air if it is low but does this happen frequently?...
Obviously, with a blowout or a major puncture, you put on the spare. Sometimes I've had to add air to the spare, which tends to get overlooked when checking tire pressure.

However, most of the punctures I have gotten resulted in slow leaks. The TPMS warning light comes on, I pull over and air up, and drive in for a repair. Lots easier than changing a wheel.

Tires can become low for other reasons as well. Long sitting unused, changes in elevation or temperature, a little leak in the valve stem,... Having the compressor beats driving around looking for an open tire shop or coin-operated air pump (not as common as they used to be, and half the time they're not working).

I also find a compressor useful for other things besides vehicle tires. I was topping off our bicycles at a popular beach campground, and several kids came by and asked if I would do theirs, too. In the past I've aired up mattresses, inflatable rafts, 12 basketballs transported flat for a youth camp,...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I am a bit confused about the need for and effectiveness of an air pump if you have a tire that is flat due to a puncture. If you can't fix the tire 1st why put air into it? I understand wanting to add air if it is low but does this happen frequently? My only experience with trailers is old and then a large horse trailer.

Mark
Why can't you fix it?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #31

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Would come in handy if you noticed a slow leak when you weren't right at a gas station, or if you notice low pressure for any other reason, like a large temperature swing, and still have miles to go before the next gas station.

There are also a lot of people who fix their own flats. So long as it's not in the sidewall, you can fix a small puncture, air the tire back up and be back on the road without any of that fancy "roadside assistance" stuff

Also for people who take their vehicles offroad, sometimes airing down the tires is really helpful, and you definitely want to air them back up before driving on pavement, especially at highway speeds.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #32

California
fix a flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Why can't you fix it?
I have never fixed a flat on my own. I am 66 yrs old. Perhaps I should have learned. Please enlighten me.
Mark
Old 02-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #33

California
Tire repair kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post

Another tire related accessory I think everyone should carry and know how to use is a decent plug kit ($15-$40).

Al
Al, there are 62 pages of tire repair kits on Amazon. Which do you recommend?
seems like a good idea to carry one.

Mark
Old 02-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #34

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I'm a boondocker so I'm almost always "off road" and never near a service station. I also have Quads which use low tire pressures and are notorious for leaks. I carry a good tire pressure gauge and a compressor with an internal battery and a strong light. The compressor can also be powered by a 12 volt vehicle or RV battery and charged from a cigarette lighter. It has come in handy soooo many times!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Only a couple bucks and it comes with instructions...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Got one, use it all the time, works well!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Al, there are 62 pages of tire repair kits on Amazon. Which do you recommend?
seems like a good idea to carry one.

Mark
Hi Mark, it can get confusing. The kit Floyd referenced certainly includes the basics - reamer tool, insertion tool, cement and plugs. In addition, you'll need a pair of pliers (to remove the foreign object), a blade (razor, knife, box cutter, etc.) to trim any excess plug material and a decent tire gauge You likely have these as a part of your existing tool kit and may not see the need for duplication.

We enjoy exploring off road when camping so my repair kit is probably overkill for most. It includes all of the above along with spare valve stems, valve stem cores, a valve stem tool, lubricant for the reamer and insertion tools, plugs of various sizes and lengths and a ratchet strap to help reseat a bead on a tubeless tire Probably the most important piece is a bag to keep everything organized - I use an old Lands End shaving/shower kit.

Watch a few you tube videos on this process and i think you'll see it's not too difficult. The more expensive kits will have metal rather than plastic handled reamer/insertion tools, include the pliers, gauge, knife, valve stems, cores and tools along with a wider variety of plug sizes (not necessary for most of our trailers and tugs). Check the plugs and cement at least yearly and replace if they've dried out.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #38

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
So .... Floyd gave the link to the Carlisle C load range tire for his Scamp13D.

I guess this would be the link to the Carlisle D load range tire that might be the better option for a Scamp16?
http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-t...ail-hd/p/27240

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #39

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When I worked for a very large truck leasing company we were forbidden to use those push in type tire plugs because of eventual rust damage to the steel cords. Proper procedure was to remove tire, drill out puncture, glue in a rubber plug, install a patch inside tire, and coat the patch with a sealer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I'm a boondocker so I'm almost always "off road" and never near a service station. I also have Quads which use low tire pressures and are notorious for leaks. I carry a good tire pressure gauge and a compressor with an internal battery and a strong light. The compressor can also be powered by a 12 volt vehicle or RV battery and charged from a cigarette lighter. It has come in handy soooo many times!
We carry all that too for off roading but also carry an inner tube for the big "oops" holes. Had to use it a few times too .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, tires, vin