Breaking news - Scamp moving to 8-ply D-rated tires - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #41

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I think even if I were to fix a flat with a plug, I'd still get it checked out by a shop when convenient. I was introduced to those plugs when using a lot of ATVs and work trucks when living and working 60 miles down a highway, then 30 more miles down a dirt road from the nearest tire shop. Most of the driving was 40mph or less, all on dirt roads. Flats were common, and a trip into town to fix it was at least a half day, so that just didn't work.

On big rigs or fleet vehicles, I wouldn't think a plug like those would be appropriate for anything more than a temporary patch to get you back on the road.

They're perfect for offroad motorcycles and 4-wheelers though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #42

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Tires

WOW, great info from all. I really appreciate it and am learning every day.
Thanks for all your help.
Can't wait till my PU day.

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I got a staple from a desk top stapler in the tread of a new tire recently and Discount Tire REPLACED the tire!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Wow! Now we know how to get free tires there. Wear 'em down, then staple 'em and drive to the store...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I often read /hear about the great service at Discount Tire.
My experience is the exact opposite . After getting scr_wed out of $200 , I won't be going back. I've found that local tire dealers are price competitive and offer HONEST service !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #46

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
A long time ago I had a manually operated tire pump that you operate with your foot. Though I have an air compressor at home I've often thought of buying one for the road. Even if it takes a while to add air to a vehicle tire, mine are 13" so wouldn't be too bad, it helps develop character and patience. You can look around at the scenery while you're exercising your legs.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #47

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Wow, my 1999 16' Scamp came from factory with 14" tires when it was new!

Although back then they were using tires made in China that were terrible. Out of round, wobble to tread, etc. I went to Goodyear ST tires for many years, until I found out they were now foreign made and having blowout problems.

Have switched to Carlisle Radial Trail RH 205/75r14 ST's. I did have to recut tire opening larger to clear. Got black trim from Scamp as original was now too short to reinstall.

Suprising thing was that I cut one side and transfered the cut off piece to other side to make equal and discovered factory had cut one side 2" higher than the other!
nutter_scamp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #48

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Got one, use it all the time, works well!
Gee, I really hope you don't have to use it "all the time"! (Just kidding.)

I have used those plugs many times over the years. One time that kit and the 12 Volt compressor saved by bacon on the Trans-Labrador Highway. Every once I try to remember to buy a fresh tube of the adhesive, it tends to dry up in a year or so, but much faster after the first use.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter_scamp_owner View Post
I went to Goodyear ST tires for many years, until I found out they were now foreign made and having blowout problems.

Have switched to Carlisle Radial Trail RH 205/75r14 ST's.
And, where do you think those were made?
Could be anywhere, as Carlisle has factories around the world.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #50

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I stand corrected!

Just went out and looked. Sidewall in tiny lettering says "Made in China"..... And I trusted the tire dealer!

But will say these are very good tires that required very small weights for balancing and run true.
nutter_scamp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I too have Carlisle tires. No idea where they were made.
Wherever they were made, they were manufactured to Carlisle's specifications and tested.
I think you'd find that even your Boeing 747 has parts from China, France, Germany etc. "Made in the USA" doesn't assure quality, especially if the workers are being paid minimum wage.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #52
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When my trusty Sorrel winter boots finally wore out, I found the replacements were no longer made in Canada. Searching around I found Kenetrek boots. The ad said assembled in the U.S. by our skilled craftsmen from foreign sourced materials. When the boots arrived I discovered the skills involved putting Chinese made felt liners into the boots that were made in Thailand. They also did a nice job installing the laces.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #53

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
When my trusty Sorrel winter boots finally wore out, I found the replacements were no longer made in Canada. Searching around I found Kenetrek boots. The ad said assembled in the U.S. by our skilled craftsmen from foreign sourced materials. When the boots arrived I discovered the skills involved putting Chinese made felt liners into the boots that were made in Thailand. They also did a nice job installing the laces.
I know the feeling ! . When I worked outside in the Winter ,
I always wore genuine CANADIAN Sorrel boots . They kept your feet warm and dry even at 40 below zero and they lasted for years , because they were made with real Leather by real Canadians.
My kids bought me a pair of the new FAUX Sorrel boots last Fall and they will shortly be going in the trash.
The quality is gone , only the name lives on.

Carhartt is another brand that is trying to live off its' reputation and will slowly fail.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #54

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had to purchase new tires for my 13' Scamp last year. The ones that came off the trailer had 10K miles and were on there from the factory new from 2010. They were DICOs.

After MUCH research and studying, the clincher was an article in Trailer Life on MAXXIS tires. They have continous "Ribs" of rubber around the perimeter of the tires in the tread area that others dont have.

I talked to a utility trailer place here in our town. While he wasnt as familiar with Maxxis, he told me to stay away from Carlisle tires. They'd had bad luck with them on new trailers. They were using another brand that they were getting and I think our local Co-op sells them.

I wrote about my purchase sometime back. I ordered the Maxxis online. There was a mixup at our local Discount Tire and they ordered them when I didnt tell them I was ready. Anyway, they call and I tell them I've already ordered some because one of their guys didnt get back with me. I was wanting to know the manufacturing date. The company I ordered from online pulled two from his warehouse and called me back and gave me the date!

To make a long story short, DT INSISTED I bring those tires to them and let them install them...and I did...FOR FREE!!! He said it was their mistake that they ordered and not call me back. But even with me ordering my tires online, they STILL installed/balanced them for free and was very apologetic to my wife for the goof up.

The moral (and my opinion) of this story? Stay away from Carlisle and get Maxxis your tires from you local Discount Tire.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #55

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I had to purchase new tires for my 13' Scamp last year. The ones that came off the trailer had 10K miles and were on there from the factory new from 2010. They were DICOs.

After MUCH research and studying, the clincher was an article in Trailer Life on MAXXIS tires. They have continous "Ribs" of rubber around the perimeter of the tires in the tread area that others dont have.

I talked to a utility trailer place here in our town. While he wasnt as familiar with Maxxis, he told me to stay away from Carlisle tires. They'd had bad luck with them on new trailers. They were using another brand that they were getting and I think our local Co-op sells them.

I wrote about my purchase sometime back. I ordered the Maxxis online. There was a mixup at our local Discount Tire and they ordered them when I didnt tell them I was ready. Anyway, they call and I tell them I've already ordered some because one of their guys didnt get back with me. I was wanting to know the manufacturing date. The company I ordered from online pulled two from his warehouse and called me back and gave me the date!

To make a long story short, DT INSISTED I bring those tires to them and let them install them...and I did...FOR FREE!!! He said it was their mistake that they ordered and not call me back. But even with me ordering my tires online, they STILL installed/balanced them for free and was very apologetic to my wife for the goof up.

The moral (and my opinion) of this story? Stay away from Carlisle and get Maxxis your tires from you local Discount Tire.
So as soon as one salesman tells you to stay away from MAXXIS... you will avoid them as well?
BTW... We have already had someone post here to stay away from Discount Tire, so what's the moral ( in your opinion)there?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #56
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

I wrote about my purchase sometime back. I ordered the Maxxis online...........
A while back you mentioned you were able to set your brake controller to lock the brakes on your Scamp. Was that with the Dico tires or the Maxxis. I'm curious what to expect when I mount my new tires. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #57

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
So .... Floyd gave the link to the Carlisle C load range tire for his Scamp13D.

I guess this would be the link to the Carlisle D load range tire that might be the better option for a Scamp16?
http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-t...ail-hd/p/27240

Ray
Congratulations on the new trailer Ray!
As for tires for the 16, this is what we now have on our 05 16' Scamp (which weighs about 2600 lbs lightly loaded or 2950 lbs loaded for long trips). We have been running 14's on ours for a few years now. These are rated up to 81 MPH although we never go that fast, but it is nice to know they might be durable at 65 MPH.

http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-t...ail-hd/p/27208
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #58

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I just bought a pair of these wheels in local NT store, FREE SHIPPING — Kenda High Speed 8-Ply Radial Trailer Tire & Assembly — ST175/80R13, Spoke, Model# DM175R3D-5CI | 13in. High Speed Trailer Tires Wheels| Northern Tool + Equipment , with the store offer and $20 coupon, the total price was $173.98. Anyone has experience with these tires? Load rating D, speed rating M (81 MPH), made in China (of course), manufacturing date code 3216. The full marking on the sidewall is ST175/80R13 97/92M.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #59

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've found Goodyear tires work well. I have 5 trucks, a car, two Quads, a motorcycle and two trailers.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #60

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Raz,

I believe that was Floyd that bought some new tires not too long ago and was able to lock the brakes...or found them more "aggressive" than the previous ones. I've never been able to "lock" my wheels on my Scamp with the e-brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
A while back you mentioned you were able to set your brake controller to lock the brakes on your Scamp. Was that with the Dico tires or the Maxxis. I'm curious what to expect when I mount my new tires. Raz
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, tires, vin