Hitch mounted deer hoist for batteries? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2022, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: Catya
Trailer: Scamp
WI
Hitch mounted deer hoist for batteries?

Hello,
I'm working on the problem of being old and wanting to change to 2 6 volt batteries AND wanting to be able to bring them inside for the winter (rather than just using a regulated trickle charger and leaving them in place).
It seems you can buy a hitch mounted deer hoist that can lift and swivel 300#. The two 6 volts that I'm thinking of would come in at around 120#. I figure with a good dolly, I should be golden. But the stupid batteries don't have handles. Would you suggest leaving straps around them in the box, trying to use those weird looking battery scissor holders, finding a way to mount the dual box that frees it for removal, or what? I'm at the brain storming stage.
I haven't even figured out how to mount the box on my tongue behind my dual propane tanks. I only recently got the camper, and it came with no battery.
THX,
Catya
Catya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:00 PM   #2

Name: Nigel
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
You could use a battery lifting strap. Something like this must be available in the USA as well. https://www.princessauto.com/en/batt...t/PA0008707267

Nigel
NigelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:13 PM   #3

Name: Catya
Trailer: Scamp
WI
Thank you. I didn't know that existed. But I thought you weren't supposed to pick them up by the posts...
Catya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:52 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catya View Post
Thank you. I didn't know that existed. But I thought you weren't supposed to pick them up by the posts...
Those straps can probably be found at local auto parts stores. They have been used for decades. I don’t know where you heard you can’t pick up batteries using the posts. Old wives tale, maybe. Another misconception often expressed is that batteries cannot/shouldn’t be stored on a concrete floor. That was true at one time before battery manufacturers transitioned from rubber cases to plastic cases, and that was a long, long time ago.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catya View Post
Hello,
I'm working on the problem of being old and wanting to change to 2 6 volt batteries AND wanting to be able to bring them inside for the winter (rather than just using a regulated trickle charger and leaving them in place).
It seems you can buy a hitch mounted deer hoist that can lift and swivel 300#. The two 6 volts that I'm thinking of would come in at around 120#. I figure with a good dolly, I should be golden. But the stupid batteries don't have handles. Would you suggest leaving straps around them in the box, trying to use those weird looking battery scissor holders, finding a way to mount the dual box that frees it for removal, or what? I'm at the brain storming stage.
I haven't even figured out how to mount the box on my tongue behind my dual propane tanks. I only recently got the camper, and it came with no battery.
THX,
Catya
Hi,

I just went from 2 heavy 6 volt batteries, mounted in an awkward place in front of the propane tanks on my Bigfoot trailer, to one 200 amp lithium battery that gives me almost twice the power and weighs just under 50 pounds. I relocated the battery inside the trailer under one of the front seats. I purchased the battery for just under $1000 and so far I am very pleased with the performance of it and not having to contend with the heavy and awkward 6 volt batteries.
Bob Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:58 PM   #6

Name: Rich
Trailer: MicroLite by Flagstaff
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rolls View Post
Hi,

I just went from 2 heavy 6 volt batteries, mounted in an awkward place in front of the propane tanks on my Bigfoot trailer, to one 200 amp lithium battery that gives me almost twice the power and weighs just under 50 pounds. I relocated the battery inside the trailer under one of the front seats. I purchased the battery for just under $1000 and so far I am very pleased with the performance of it and not having to contend with the heavy and awkward 6 volt batteries.
Hello Bob,
I'm thinking of upgrading my lead acid batteries to lithium also. Did you have to change the charger also? I haven't yet done any research on charge rates or connection options. Just looking for your thoughts.
Thanks, Rich
SecurityGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
They make golf cart battery lifting straps. The have hooks that hook into the battery case. They sell for less than $10 on Amazon.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:00 PM   #8

Name: Iain
Trailer: Trillium outback
California
Thumbs up for Lithium

Hi,
I bought a 100ah lithium battery when renogy was doing a sale. Although I primarily wanted to reduce tongue weight, I discovered other benefits
* new battery was easy to remove when not inuse
* stored and charged at home so
* no theft risk
* maintenance free
* if I’m going to get a hernia, it will be from doing something else

A charger that handles lithium batteries is a commonplace now and certainly not expensive…
Dyquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:02 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot Trailer
British Columbia
Hi Rich,

I did have to change the charger/converter as well. I went with a 60 watt one from etrailer that was about $200. I also had to change to an 80 watt breaker, which was about $50 on Amazon and a new GoPower solar controller for $210, so the total cost was approximately $1500. The conversion was quite straightforward. On one occasion I had pulled my back out lifting one of the 6 volt batteries and on another severely cut a finger so it has been well worthwhile. With the 6 volt batteries I found myself always having to try to conserve power in fall and winter camping. This fall it was not an issue at all with the lithium battery.
Bob
Bob Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We used the hitch-mounted carcass loader to load our previous Lectric bikes into our RAM truck, as they were so heavy. Folded them and slid them into totes first, then put the totes onto the loader platform, and used it to lift the totes into the pickup.
Worked slick, although having lighter ebikes that we can load ourselves is slicker.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Viking-So...mals/790591671

CindyL

Tags
scamp