Bumpy Scamp/newbie questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Currently shopping
TX
Bumpy Scamp/newbie questions

Hey there,

First camper of any kind so pardon my questions. I just bought an 81 16’ Scamp. I only took it home only about 5 miles and the ride was a bit rough. Little bumps would jostle and bounce around. Is that typical? I’m going to get some new tires and the axel checked out next week.
Attached Thumbnails
1FD88E4A-19C8-4906-9171-520F979CD910.jpg  
Amess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:38 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, and congratulations on joining the Scamp family!

You’ve nailed the two most likely culprits. An out-of-round tire or unbalanced wheel could make for a rough ride. When I bought a utility trailer years ago, one was so bad, that side of the trailer was actually leaving the pavement. It was new, so I had the whole wheel and tire swapped, and all was well.

An aged out torsion axle, in which the internal rubber cords have become brittle, will also cause a very harsh ride. You can check that yourself by jacking up the frame on one side to see how much the wheel drops as the frame rises. Measure from the top of the wheel arch to the center of the hub before and after lifting. Let it sit a while and measure again. Worst case it could be completely frozen.

A rough ride can exacerbate frame stresses, and older Scamps, especially 16’ers, are prone to crack under the front of the cabin where the frame transitions to the tongue. Inspect that area carefully and repair/reinforce if needed. You’ll probably need to clean off surface rust (normal) to see the underlying metal.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #3

Name: Thomas
Trailer: scamp 13
Wisconsin
If the rubber cords are frozen can they be replaced or does the entire axle need replacing?
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
You replace the whole axle.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #5

TX
Thanks for the advice Jon! I’ve got about 3/4-1” drop at the moment on both sides. Nobody local wants to touch this thing due to age and the holidays. I’m still going to get new tires next week and take it on a little trip to see if that improves while I wait on the axle to come in.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If the trailer pictured is the one referred to in the text then it is doubtful that it needs a new axle. 1981 Scamp16 had a 2200 pound axle which would not likely sit that high if it was over 40 years old. Check for negative camber and inside edge wear on the tires anyway.

Tires of course do make a difference, check for older biased tires and consider switching to a good set of radials , and run them at sidewall pressure.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Just to cover all possibilities, what's your tow vehicle?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #8

TX
@Floyd - I don’t think it is the original axle, but it definitely is on its last leg based on the drop I’m seeing versus what is recommended. New max is radials are going on next week before our maiden voyage.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #9

TX
2016 Ford Flex, I’ve towed heavier loads with no issues.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amess View Post
@Floyd - I don’t think it is the original axle, but it definitely is on its last leg based on the drop I’m seeing versus what is recommended. New max is radials are going on next week before our maiden voyage.
To reiterate...
The 1981 Scamp16 Had a smaller axle than the late models.
Of course not seeing it in person, I can't say for sure, but "drop" is not the primary indicator of axle wear. Tow-out and Camber are. It would be rare to have a torsion axle bottom out without excessive tire wear.
I would consider a 3500# trailing arm axle with 10" brakes, if you choose to upgrade. You can get same day service with an appointment if you take it to Backus plus whatever else you need in upgrades.
They are very competitive in price and they know the product....
Buy Carlisle Radial HDs for the best overall tire improvement.

PS: I see you are in Texas (wish I was) , but it is a "travel trailer" after all!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
While I agree that alignment and tire wear indicate axle wear, axles can also age from time and long storage. I have heard multiple accounts of older axles that bounced excessively, showing little or no movement in the lift test but not exhibiting the usual signs of wear. Replacement brought a significantly improved ride.

However I also agree that may not be the case here, since it seems the axle was already replaced once. It makes more sense if it is original. Aging out is typically seen in 30-40 year old axles.

Another possibility is a light, empty trailer riding on a newer 3500# axle. Load it up and give it another spin. It may well settle down under load. My 13’ does. That side bath layout runs light on the tongue when empty, which can also produce some unwanted movement and jerking on the hitch. We store tools and canned goods in the front bench compartments.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
One other factor I've had in a bumpy ride is how close a fit there is between the stinger and the receiver. There's a fair amount of give in mine--so I bought a hitch clamp (and also used both plastic shims (unsuccessful) and duct tape around the stinger) to minimize how much it rattles. The ride is much smoother now.
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp