Would your loan out your egg? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #81

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
I have to say this is the first time I have felt so out of step with almost everyone on this website. I had not seen this thread before but am stunned at how attached so many people are to their trailers. Our Burro is new to us and already has generated a number of terrific memories and adventures, and I am sure there are more to come. But of what consequence is that in relation to family and friends. Simply by having one of these magnificent toys, we are proclaiming that we are among the "have" segment of society, and I cannot guess (and hope never to know) how churlish I would feel by refusing to share it with family or close friends, if they ask. And if insurance is your concern, simply ask them to pay whatever it would cost to put a rider on your policy that would allow such use. Then bask in the glow that comes from family and friends, just as many of you in the U.S. are preparing to do this weekend.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #82

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I have to say this is the first time I have felt so out of step with almost everyone on this website. I had not seen this thread before but am stunned at how attached so many people are to their trailers. Our Burro is new to us and already has generated a number of terrific memories and adventures, and I am sure there are more to come. But of what consequence is that in relation to family and friends. Simply by having one of these magnificent toys, we are proclaiming that we are among the "have" segment of society, and I cannot guess (and hope never to know) how churlish I would feel by refusing to share it with family or close friends, if they ask. And if insurance is your concern, simply ask them to pay whatever it would cost to put a rider on your policy that would allow such use. Then bask in the glow that comes from family and friends, just as many of you in the U.S. are preparing to do this weekend.
cheers
Ian
It would be nice to be able to feel this, but reality sets in. Some friends and relatives would bring it back is as good a shape or better than it left, but others would trash it. (Don't ask how I know this?). Sometimes it's hard to tell which is which and even if you know who would take good care and who wouldn't take of it, there's still a problem. Example 2 of my kids probably wouldn't bring it back in good shape, two would. I can't loan my trailer to one and not the others. In fact one of the kids if they want to borrow something I either give it to them or tell them no. Insurance doesn't cover damage done by misuse.

It's great that you feel your family and friends would take such good care of your things. I hope you don't get disappointed.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #83

Quote:
It's great that you feel your family and friends would take such good care of your things. I hope you don't get disappointed.
I may be disappointed, but that's happened before. But I think the price, whatever it is, is small compared to the rewards.
cheers
Ian
Old 11-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #84

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think Shakespeare had it correct.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be

Meaning - Literal meaning.

Origin - From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1603:

LORD POLONIUS:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

What this topic has told me, is for the most part molded fiberglass RV owners are not generally borrowers... nor lenders. I'm certain in life there are individuals who choose to not own anything, but prefer to borrow everything. Borrow a truck to move, borrow tools to work around the house, borrow a trailer to vacation. It's those individuals method of stretching their dollars at the expense of those who choose to save and invest in the things they want/need in their own lives.

I'm grateful, I was raised to NOT be a borrower. I live in a town that has several "Rental" companies. If I need a tool, I rent it. I'd be glad to give out the RV rental company phone number to anyone who asked.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #85

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Back in 1985, my Mom and Dad purchased a new Prevost Motor Coach. The first thing they said as they showed it to my younger brother and I was "Don't ever ask to use it!" They were very picky about that coach, and well they should have been. It cost them a literal TON of money and they didn't want someone who had no investment in it ruining it for them. I feel the very same way about my little Casita..................it cost a TON (to me at least) of money and I would never loan it to anyone!
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #86

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I find it hard to believe that anyone in our society is neither a borrower nor a lender; they are certainly borrowers if they have a mortgage, take a book out of the library, use a courtesy car while theirs is in for service... Even renting is borrowing, with an associated fee.

I think the borrowing part of Shakespeare's message is largely irrelevant to modern society, but the lending part addresses the real problem: loaning the trailer to someone changes the nature of the relationship with that person, maybe in a way which is not desirable. If a member of my immediate family asked to borrow our Boler I would certainly let them; however, that comes with the understanding that they would take responsibility for any damage, and the knowledge that even if they didn't I would consider them far more important than the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #87

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Is it too fine a line to remove professional lenders from the intent of Shakespeare? I don't think so since he mentions the possible loss of a friend. I think he's addressing interpersonal relationships.

"Neither a borrower nor lender be" still seems like good advice when talking about loans between friends (and relatives).

And with credit abuse running rampant, even if you don't restrict the concept to friends it still appears to have obsoleted husbandry for many.

Although I applaud someone who can honestly say that they wouldn't let abuse of an item interfere with the core friendship. Although I've also heard that "once burned, twice shy."

I wonder if we're most offended that someone would even ask and put us in the position of having to decide. (Same thing I said in 2005. Sorry to repeat myself.)
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #88

Trailer: 17 ft Escape B
We just bought an ex-rental from Escape Trailers a few months ago. Ours had been rented out 3 or 4 times last summer so we saved a bundle because it wasn't "brand new". If your fiends/relatives live near Chilliwack BC they can rent an Escape Trailer from the manufacturer. (17' Plan B unit with shower and gaucho bunk. $450.00/week or $75.00/day. $200.00 deposit reserves your spot.) Anyone who asked or floats the idea of borrowing ours I tell them the equilizer hitch is set up to fit our vehicle only so it would be easier for them to rent one from Escape.

kevin behnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #89

Quote:
...Anyone who asked or floats the idea of borrowing ours I tell them the equilizer hitch is set up to fit our vehicle only so it would be easier for them to rent one from Escape.
Watch out... they may want to borrow your tow vehicle as well!

They may also have a tow vehicle which doesn't need to use a weight distribution (WD) system... even a minivan might not need WD. It might be embarrassing if the WD issue is just an excuse for saying no. If someone is close enough that they are in a position to reasonably ask, then maybe the relationship is close enough that they can accept an honest "no, I don't want to loan it out"...

Renting is a great alternative, and probably better for everyone, if a suitable rental is available. Someone in this area wanting a lightweight travel trailer - especially a moulded fiberglass unit - is out of luck.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #90

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I have three sons...ages 35...40....and 42 .......they can use any of my vehicles if they need them......I`ve never really had a problem.......I would feel really bad if my sons, wanted/had to, borrow my trailers, trucks, or whatever and I said no....non family, I`d have to think about.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #91

Quote:
I think Shakespeare had it correct.

LORD POLONIUS:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Of course, Shakespeare also painted Polonius as somewhat less than sagacious, so take his advice as given.
cheers
Ian
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #92

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I usually am willing to lend out anything any friend might need, so I was surprised at the thought that first came to mind: "NO!"

I have loaned out my truck--once--but even that is a little hard to do. I was more generous with my past vehicles.

After giving this some thought I have decided that the reason I feel this way is because it was very hard to find the exact truck I wanted--I spent months looking, and I think it would be almost impossible to replace it--certainly for the far-below-KBB-price I paid.

Although I love my Casita, it's not that I'm so totally attached to it. It's because it would be so very difficult to replace and would probably take so long. I looked for seven months before I finally found one in my price range with the amenities I wanted that was within CA (of course, I probably would have found one sooner if I'd heard about FGRV sooner!).

It's the possiblitly of being inconvenienced that would keep me from loaning it out.

Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #93

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
We love our families and our friends. We are going to keep it that way! Nothing worse than a family member or friend who breaks something they borrow.
andy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #94

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I used to borrow a friends monster dually when I needed some meat and power to haul something. Most often skids of scrap wood from work. HE would actually forklift the skids into the back of the truck for me.

On one trip, the load shifted forward and broke the rear window. I called the glass company and had the window replaced in less than 24 hours and returned the truck with new window, a receipt for it and a most embarrassed apology for the damage, even tho the new window was better than the one that broke and there was no other damage to the rig.

His wife was furious. He was told I was to never drive the truck again. He countered that if he was comfortable loaning it to anyone, it would first be to me because I had proven that I would take care of things if an accident were to occur. She calmed down.

I never borrowed the truck again, and would be uncomfortable doing so. Looking at it from the other side, you may actually be doing a favor to the borrower by saying "No". I felt worse as the damager than I would have felt if it was my stuff that was damaged.

I have driven the truck since then, but to do him favors like towing his boat when he moved or to haul something for HIM. Never for my own needs.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #95

It's sad that the wife of the dually truck owner in Gina's story ruined a friendly arrangement which was working for both parties... and was still working even after some accidental damage. I suppose if your possessions are more important than your friends (or your spouse's possessions are more important than your spouse's friends) you shouldn't loan them out.

If I loaned a vehicle, and got it back in the state which Gina returned the truck, I would be proud of having such a responsible and conscientious friend.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #96

Trailer: Boler 1975 13 ft
Well

I posted Oct of last year that I had loaned my Boler to a friend that was pulling the roof off his house, etc. while he remodeled. Thought I was safe since I was delivering it and he wouldn't be towing it ???

So much for that one. When I got it back a couple of months ago the window over the stove had been ripped off when he moved it on the property....... He did take it to a RV repair shop to get it "fixed" (scary thought he towed it again) but it will have to be replaced now to get it back in the shape I had it. I wasn't charging him for the loan but he did hand me a check for $800 (100 a month he had it). Considering what happened I did accept it. At least this way it won't cost me $ to fix it.

Like many here I had put my heart into restoring my egg and it did hurt to see the damage. Not sure if I would loan it again or not right now. Things can be fixed if broken but it still irritated me.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
window.jpg  
Roy Massen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #97

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
When I got it back a couple of months ago the window over the stove had been ripped off when he moved it on the property....... He did take it to a RV repair shop to get it "fixed" (scary thought he towed it again) but it will have to be replaced now to get it back in the shape I had it.
OUCH!
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #98

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
The rub is if you do it ONE time (even if it works out), you're kinda [b]stuck to do it again.
The things I do in the name of domestic tranquility.
While my significant other is pleased that some difficult friends are no longer disrupting the house when they and their dogs visit, these friends now consider the Fiber Stream their weekend get-away guest house.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #99

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Well, I would not rent out my trailer. Attitudes to borrowing, however, may be cultural. In traditional native (Anishinanbe) culture, if a friend admired a possession, you gave it to them; an attitude hard to comprehend in our modern consumer society. Yes, I would loan my trailer to a close friend or relative, same as I would give them money if they asked. However, you have to be good with the idea that it may not come back, or at least not in the same condition that it left. Money loaned is a gift; if it is repaid, fine. You do not want, as Roger put it, Stuff, to come between friends and family. If you are not prepared for it to be a gift, you shouldn't loan it out. An elusive concept to put into words, and only my personal philosophy.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #100

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Well, I would not rent out my trailer. Attitudes to borrowing, however, may be cultural. In traditional native (Anishinanbe) culture, if a friend admired a possession, you gave it to them; an attitude hard to comprehend in our modern consumer society. Yes, I would loan my trailer to a close friend or relative, same as I would give them money if they asked. However, you have to be good with the idea that it may not come back, or at least not in the same condition that it left. Money loaned is a gift; if it is repaid, fine. You do not want, as Roger put it, Stuff, to come between friends and family. If you are not prepared for it to be a gift, you shouldn't loan it out. An elusive concept to put into words, and only my personal philosophy.
I like this philosophy.

Tags
eggcamper