An Egg comes home to nest... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hi all... we drove over to my old home town of Cascade MT yesterday and picked up our Scamp 13'! It's a '95 that belonged to friends of my parents (who are former Scamp owners as well...)

In typical Montana fashion, we left our home north of Missoula in thick fog and temps in the mid 20s. East of the divide it was 55, sunny and windy. We got everything hooked up, drove 3 blocks to my folk's house and gave them the grand tour.

Here's our son Alasdair heading in to check it out:

My parents check it out... Dad's got tips and ideas already:

We took off and headed down to Helena, just 60 miles south to visit our oldest son Ian and his girlfriend. It was our first voyage at highway speeds and I have to say: I am in love! She tows so smooth; way nicer that our Coleman Taos tent trailer. They are probably nearly identical in overall weight, but the lighter tongue weight of the scamp seems to be a better match for our Odyssey. Whatever it is it works. Really well!

It's going to be a great winter project trailer... lots of very "doable" stuff to work on. The front window has a repaired crack, so I'll replace it. Lots of cleaning to do, both inside and out. The gelcoat is pretty oxidized, so a lot of work to do there. I'm sure the list of projects will grow in the months ahead, but it's camp-ready as is... a work in progress.

Here we are finally home and in the snowy and chilly driveway:
Matthew Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

What a neat feeling!

It looks good as is.

I feel your delight, having hopped from a pop up to an egg myself. Freedom!!! Yay!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Oh the Joy! Thanks for sharing! And I bet someone in these pictures uttered the phrase..."it's bigger inside than outside, that's fer sure!"

Congrats & Good Luck...

ConwayBob
Old 12-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looking good! How exciting...I'm surprised you don't have a bow on top...looks like a great Christmas gift to me!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: How "Egg" citing!!! The Babe looks "Egg" septional as is...How Lucky the proud parents must be!!! Ho Ho ho Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Welcome to the clan. The more the merrier! Repairs, modifications, personal touches, polishing and waxing, a little paint on wear spots on the frame, etc. Lists ...and more lists, discussions about what to tackle first, then ...next The fiberglass bug has bit once again
Thanks for posting pictures of the family addition and allowing us to your new-to-you family addition. They bring back memories of our excitement.
Don't spend too much time working on her, put her to work also. Go camping!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #7

Thanks for all the nice comments! Donna, on the way home Christine was joking about a red bow herself... not sure where we'd find one that big!

It was amazing to see the "power" these little fellas have over people... we pulled over in Helena at a gas station to check the tires (which are on the to-change list) and one of the guys that worked there wandered over and started asking us all about the trailer and telling us all about camping in Alaska as a kid. Definitely a conversation starter! I can see already that being an "egg person" will take on a social dimension that just wasn't there in the tent trailer!
Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Congratulations!! The picture of your folks sitting in the trailer reminded me of the day my first little trailer arrived. I had purchased a little boler before I had the hitch so the previous owners were kind enough to drop it off for me. They arrived just before dinner so as soon as they were gone I asked the children if they wanted to have dinner in it. Of course they did, so we all went out with dinner plates in hand..... when the last person took their seat the trailer suddenly rolled backwards and rested on it's bumper!!! The dishes slid into the wall and we slowly stood up and rolled it back.... ahhhhhhh that was what the jacks were for!! It is a favorite family story of ours....
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Cool, another Scamp 13'.
Now you need to get your reservations for the Oregon Gathering.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Cool, another Scamp 13'.
Now you need to get your reservations for the Oregon Gathering.
I already did, back before we even found this one!

We were looking for a Scamp and thought we'd bring the tent trailer if we didn't find one. I had seen this one about 4 blocks away from my parents house and on a whim decided to call the owners and ask if they might be interested in selling. It turned out that they were thinking about buying a slide-in camper for their new truck and had sort of toyed with the idea of selling the Scamp. After talking with them, it seems like the pickup camper will be a better choice for them. (or perhaps an Army surplus tank... ) I know the land around Cascade MT pretty well and would think twice about trying to tow into some of the places they talked about going. They like to head down little one-lane paths with branches scraping both sides and camp... the kind of place you need a partner to walk in ahead of you and clear brush! Indeed, the Scamp shows signs of being hauled into some serious back-country, though nothing a good cleaning and waxing won't take care of.

Anyway, we'll be in A10, right in the thick of things. I'll be easy to spot since I'll probably be attached to a musical instrument of some sort....
Old 12-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Woo Hoo!

Welcome!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
De-oxidizing is very Zen-like and satisfying, it's a subtle glow after tons of work, but you know you are FEEDING the fibreglass. It's all good.

Congrats!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow ... U dun guud! Congratulations - like everyone else here, we understand that irreplacable feeling of taking home your first FGRV! We know you will enjoy both the work & the camping fun as time goes on. Take care, and we'll see you in Bandon next July - we're in A-33 (I think). L 'n D

Tags
eggcamper