Another Egg in the 'Hood - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
After bringing our 5th wheel home from California three weeks ago and adding two 12v outlets to the dinette/kitchen area (there were none) we made our first two trips in our trailer this week!

Our first trip out was kind of a dry run, parking next to Lynne's sister's house for Christmas Eve, where they have a big family party followed by presents on Christmas morning. We learned a few things: the most important was that that the battery doesn't last the night while running the heater, so replacing the battery was high on our list of priorities before our next trip. The other thing was that the heater fan is a noisy little thing when it suddenly comes on at 3AM.

So after Christmas we replaced the battery and bought a little 110v space heater. We also bought a coffee maker, dishes, household goodies (like plates, bowls, gray/black tank enzyme) and two $99 Walmart specials, a 10" Big Screen Mobile Theater (proving that terms like "big" are very subjective) and a wireless backup camera.

Thursday evening we headed for Vancouver, BC to see the Body Worlds show at Science World. We spent the first night at the Bellingham RV Park (so we could get shore power and run the cube heater -- a well-kept park with nice shower facilities) then continued up to Vancouver, where we docked at Capilano RV Park (near central Vancouver -- not a scenic location but reasonably maintained with ok-ish shower facilities and a pool and a hot tub we didn't use). We visited Body Worlds at Science World (the Telus World of Science) the first day, explored Stanley Park on the second and headed home.

For those fascinated by the the human body and can see art in it and marvel at how it works, Body Worlds is a must-see show. The "exhibits" are donated cadavers that have been preated with plastic resins, had features revealed by sculpting away parts that would otherwise conceal them, and posed in interesting and artistic ways that help you appreciate the marvel that is us. It's also a good way to remind oneself that the choices we make today affect our health and longevity. While probably not for the easily offended or squeamish, those who venture past the ticket counter will be glad they came.

It'll be in Vancouver through the 14th of this month. Pretty much sells out every day, btw. www.BodyWorlds.com.

Oh, and yes, the cube heater got used, the coffee pot got used, I may return the backup camera (the truck cab is too far to get a good, consistent signal), and we never got around to watching TV.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Thursday evening we headed for Vancouver, BC to see the Body Worlds show at Science World... We visited Body Worlds at Science World (the Telus World of Science) the first day...

For those fascinated by the the human body and can see art in it and marvel at how it works, Body Worlds is a must-see show. The "exhibits" are donated cadavers that have been preated with plastic resins, had features revealed by sculpting away parts that would otherwise conceal them, and posed in interesting and artistic ways that help you appreciate the marvel that is us. It's also a good way to remind oneself that the choices we make today affect our health and longevity. While probably not for the easily offended or squeamish, those who venture past the ticket counter will be glad they came.

It'll be in Vancouver through the 14th of this month. Pretty much sells out every day, btw. www.BodyWorlds.com.
Robert saw this when it was in Las Vegas. He reports that it has helped him in his Massage work to see this exhibit, and he didn't have to pay for an anatomy class in Med school.

I chickened out.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I am looking forward to more trips with Peter in our new Scamp. These first couple of trips were a dry run for what I really want to do -- spend more time in our country's wonderful national and state parks. I had all but sworn off of camping after many MANY attempts at tent camping over the years. Tent camping just doesn't work for me. Peter suggested that we try a lightweight fiberglass rv instead. With our new Scamp, I am waking up happy and rested in the morning and after these first couple of outtings, I am actually looking forward to camping again! (with the Scamp of course)

Body Worlds was both fascinating and overwhelming. I am glad that we traveled all that way to see it. I also enjoyed seeing Stanley Park again.

--Lynne

p.s. Scamps must be easier to park. Peter was able to park our new Scamp in just a few minutes at each of the RV parks we stayed at. Quite a difference from his first attempt at the Northern Oregon Gathering! It figures . . . only AFTER getting back, we did some parking practice at an empty parking lot down the hill from our house.
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
After bringing our 5th wheel home from California three weeks ago and adding two 12v outlets to the dinette/kitchen area (there were none) we made our first two trips in our trailer this week!

Our first trip out was kind of a dry run, parking next to Lynne's sister's house for Christmas Eve, where they have a big family party followed by presents on Christmas morning. We learned a few things: the most important was that that the battery doesn't last the night while running the heater, so replacing the battery was high on our list of priorities before our next trip. The other thing was that the heater fan is a noisy little thing when it suddenly comes on at 3AM.

So after Christmas we replaced the battery and bought a little 110v space heater. We also bought a coffee maker, dishes, household goodies (like plates, bowls, gray/black tank enzyme) and two $99 Walmart specials, a 10" Big Screen Mobile Theater (proving that terms like "big" are very subjective) and a wireless backup camera.

Thursday evening we headed for Vancouver, BC to see the Body Worlds show at Science World. We spent the first night at the Bellingham RV Park (so we could get shore power and run the cube heater -- a well-kept park with nice shower facilities) then continued up to Vancouver, where we docked at Capilano RV Park (near central Vancouver -- not a scenic location but reasonably maintained with ok-ish shower facilities and a pool and a hot tub we didn't use). We visited Body Worlds at Science World (the Telus World of Science) the first day, explored Stanley Park on the second and headed home.

Oh, and yes, the cube heater got used, the coffee pot got used, I may return the backup camera (the truck cab is too far to get a good, consistent signal), and we never got around to watching TV.

--Peter
My daughter is a chiropractor on the peninsula(Bremertom, Wa.) at Seattle and I went into the "Gross Anatomy" lab for a look while she was in school at Dallas. They hit it right when they called it gross. It helped her pay her way through school though, because she already had a BHK degree(from Windsor, Ontario) and knew the theory before dissecting a cadaver in the lab in Texas. After tutoring others in anatomy for three years the school asked her to write a manual that demonstrated how she tutored people in the subject because of the huge improvement her charges gained under her guidance. Many would have dropped out otherwise.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper