Not at all about FRVs: Recommend an axe? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Not at all about FRVs: Recommend an axe?

I came here because this group seems to hold all the wisdom of the ages.

I am planning a long trip in my FRV and would like to carry a lightweight axe or hatchet to serve many purposes -- but mainly splitting firewood. I am willing to spend some $$ to get a high quality tool that will do the job. Do any of you carry an axe with you on trips and do you recommend any in particular? Sorry if this is too off-topic . . .
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I was in the tool business and have several axes. I usually carry a 4# axe. If I was buying a new one for camping I would buy am Estwing campers axe. About $55 from Amazon, Cabelas, or many tool or camping supply stores. Top quality and will last a lifetime unless someone steals it.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I carry an axe, and I carry a small sledge/maul. The sledge is handy for freeing a stuck axe.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
http://www.mensjournal.com/expert-ad...-wood-20130225
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm at the point where I suspect I would do myself harm if I went flailing around with a full length axe. Having learned from a wiser camper, I split wood with an Estwing Fireside Friend (a splitting maul with a hatchet handle) and a small Estwing 2 or 3 pound hammer. Place the wedge on the end of the fire log (you don't have swing the splitter, just place it where you want it) and pound it into to the log with the hammer. The Fireside Friend has a steep face so the log splits more times than it gets stuck in there. I see the splitter periodically in Home Depot, but not all of 'em and not all the time.
Robot Check

"hammer" : Robot Check

Tools for puposes.. a small Estwing Carpenter's axe for tent stake pounding (it has a nail pulling notch that is handy for pulling/levering subborn stakes out again.)
Robot Check
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Check out Council axes. They're made in America, and have the highest regard among pros of all ilk.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
This design in unconventional but makes total sense. I would love to give it a try. Watch the video(s)
Vipukirves Leveraxe - Official Website

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We cut 3 cord a year to heat the house. I use an Stanley 8 lb splitting maul for that. In my opinion the best axe is a Gransfors Bruks, made in Sweden. Be prepared for sticker shock on those. Most places sell fire wood and frown on people bringing their own unless it's local because of spreading unwanted insects. They also aren't wild about you cutting your own but many will let you gather downed branches. For that a folding saw would be a better choice. Raz

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/g...dish-axes.aspx
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #9

Love the idea of containing the round in a tire.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Check out Council axes. They're made in America, and have the highest regard among pros of all ilk.

Frank
The 4# axe I carry with me is a Council brand. Excellent Quality products. One of the brands I sold was Council. Every time I see the movie "Sling Blade" I think of Council and the fine Brush Hooks Council made.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Been carrying a Fiskars X17 or X25, can't get to it right now to check the length but let me know if you want me to. Works fantastic for splitting and cutting smaller stuff like 6 or 8" into kindling. If you want to split real logs you need something bigger.

Robot Check
Old 07-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Fiskars make a very high quality short hand axe. I own two...one for my wood shed and one for my camper. Sold at either Lowes or Home Cheapo.
East wing is a brand that is high quality.

To split wood add a splitting maul to your collection of tools....or....the ever reliable wedge and sledge method.

Best method....buy split firewood from local vendor!....Leave the axe for The lumber-Jack.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #13

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Fiskars make a very high quality short hand axe. I own two...one for my wood shed and one for my camper. Sold at either Lowes or Home Cheapo.
East wing is a brand that is high quality.

To split wood add a splitting maul to your collection of tools....or....the ever reliable wedge and sledge method.

Best method....buy split firewood from local vendor!....Leave the axe for The lumber-Jack.
We buy when we get to the area where we will be camping, but I have found that I still need to cut some of the bigger stuff down for kindling or to have a small fire that burns for a shorter time.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Best axe

I had an Estwing rock hammer that broke after about 5 hours of continuous use. I had an Estwing claw hammer that was good for a couple of years, then broke. I have had a number of axes of various makes and sizes. The best is Gransfors Bruks, bar none.

However for light use, as you described, there is no point in buying the very best axe. Just buy a small Fiskars or Estwing, or whatever. However, do not swing the axe. Place it on the wood to be split then hit it with a piece of wood, small wooden baseball bat, etc, as other have described above. Do not hit it or a maul with a steel hammer. That said, also wear eye protection. I know this from experience.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #15

Hello,
Gerber makes a small light weight ax that now comes with a knife in the handle. That may serve your purpose for small firewood.
If to are looking to split "big rounds" a 5lb sledge and wedge might be a better choice.
I fed a wood stove for 25+ years...
But cutting and splitting small firewood the gerber might do it for you.
Hope this helps!
Ranger
ranger100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Whatever you decide, whatever you decide works for you... keep the blade SHARP. I do believe more people have had serious issues/injuries with any kind of blade when it's DULL. More pressure, more effort, than when whatever needs to be cut (tomatoes, cheese, wood). Be safe!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:00 AM   #17

Actually, a sharp blade on an axe isn't the ideal.
There is much more to a good axe than that, and a sharp blade may just get you deeper in trouble.
I'm no expert on the topic, but I do recall that a sharp blade is much less important than other qualities.
Tomatoes, cheese and wood all require different tools with different attributes to efficiently do the job.

If you scroll down some, and ignore the Manliness stuff, you'll learn about axes.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/0...sharpen-tools/
Old 07-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Everybody has different preferences and comfort levels with edged tools. The Boy Scouts had the Totin Chip as a card certifying the scout had read, understood and demonstrated the use of the hatchet, knife and wood saw. This basic knowledge saved more than a few trips to the emergency room.
Personally, I can make all the kindling, firewood sticks and general campfire requirements with the following: pair of good leather gloves, pair of plastic goggles, 2, 3, or 4 pound hammer and two or three steel wedges. Dry wood is a given. I also have a good folding saw and a heavy folding hunter type knife or straight blade hunting knife. For splitting dry rounds, the hammer and wedges work for me and they are easy (short) to store and not too heavy.You don't need the big four or five pound wedges, often, smaller old ones can be found at yard sales or auctions, cleaned up and service your needs for years. Remember, when you split a big nasty one you will get an accomplishment rush, and in my camp you then cry out either "who's your daddy" or "who's your momma." It's not a question, it's a declarative statement. Get a 40 year old Boy Scout Manual, it's all you'll ever need live like Jack London.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
The 4# axe I carry with me is a Council brand. Excellent Quality products. One of the brands I sold was Council. Every time I see the movie "Sling Blade" I think of Council and the fine Brush Hooks Council made.
Some folks call it a Sling Blade, I call it a Kaiser Blade mmmm hmmm.....
Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #20

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Thank you all so much for your advice. I always buy local wood and never carry the stuff from home. Often though, the logs are too big around -- I like to build brief, small fires (and sit close up). So I don't need anything too hefty and want to keep the weight of the trailer down as much as I can. I Like the idea of a Carpenter's Axe, it seems to be fairly versatile -- which I guess is what I'm really looking for. But I think a couple of forays into the BC wilderness will help me figure out what I really need.

Watch out, I may start asking about satellite dishes next. :-) Thanks again everyone.
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco