Need Love Bug Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: Arthur
Arizona
Question Need Love Bug Window

I have a 1974 13' Love Bug. I need to replace the front curved window. Flat window won't work. Any ideas where I can get this large window which is 19 1/2 by 42 1/2. I have the gasket.

Art Campbell
Arthur Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
A scamp window might work, I'm not sure if the sizes are exact or not, or maybe an auto glass shop could do something with plexi or lexan.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #3

Arizona
Thank you Joe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
A scamp window might work, I'm not sure if the sizes are exact or not, or maybe an auto glass shop could do something with plexi or lexan.
Joe, thank you for the suggestion. I have already checkeith with Scamp and Casita and they can't help. I have found a plexiglass company in San Diego that could make a window but the cost would be around $650 which is more than I wanted to spend for a window. I will check with some other firms closer to Arizona where I live. Thank you none the less.

Art Campbell
Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Art, I made my own curved window for my boat with plexi and a heat gun, it took me about 3 hours, but it worked well on the boat. I started at one end after I had the shape transferred from a template, and heated the plexi till it was pliable, then slowly bent it to the shape I needed, after it was where I wanted it , I cooled it with a wet towel, then moved to the next bend, not sure how well it would work on a compund curve, but it might be worth a try.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
Art, I made my own curved window for my boat with plexi and a heat gun, it took me about 3 hours, but it worked well on the boat. I started at one end after I had the shape transferred from a template, and heated the plexi till it was pliable, then slowly bent it to the shape I needed, after it was where I wanted it , I cooled it with a wet towel, then moved to the next bend, not sure how well it would work on a compund curve, but it might be worth a try.

Joe
Joe,

Glad to hear what you did. I have purchased a flat piece of plexiglass which is the right size. I was trying to built a frame to mount this flat piece on my Love Bug but when I found this web-site decided to see what I could find our before I continued. I just may try what you have suggested. I really have little to lose since the flat piece is not that expensive. If I go this route I will let you know how it worked. Thank you again for the suggestion.

Art Campbell, Chandler, Arizona
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #6

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
My brother who is a glass man by trade, cut and made his windows on his 73 Boler, id give him a call and ask him some questions

His name is Kelly
Windshield Repair and Auto Glass Replacement - Absolute Auto Glass
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #7

Arizona
Smile Thank you Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Underwood View Post
My brother who is a glass man by trade, cut and made his windows on his 73 Boler, id give him a call and ask him some questions

His name is Kelly
Windshield Repair and Auto Glass Replacement - Absolute Auto Glass
Phil,

Thank you for the lead. I will contact Kelly.

Art Campbell, Chandler, Arizona
Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Campbell View Post
I have a 1974 13' Love Bug. I need to replace the front curved window. Flat window won't work. Any ideas where I can get this large window which is 19 1/2 by 42 1/2. I have the gasket.

Art Campbell
Although the front window in a Scamp/Boler appears to be curved, it is flat plexi. The gasket is what pulls the window into shape. The plexiglass isn't heated... Don't know if the same thing occurs in a Lady Bug, but assume it would. If you have the original plexi, take it to anyplace that cuts plexiglass, they'll use it as a pattern.

See these series of excellent videos by Kevin, for removal/installation tips:
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love bug