13' Casita Trailer Off Restoration. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Sorry I have not been back here lately. Been pretty busy with work and also had Irma came through which messes everything up for over a week.

I finally got a chance to get some paint on the camper last week. I taped everything off and sprayed a light coat on with a harbor freight HVLP paint gun. I waited a couple days for it to dry, then today sanded everything down with a block sander and some 400 grit sandpaper. Blew everything off with the air compressor, wiped it some with some clean rags soaked in alcohol and sprayed another quart of paint on the top.

I must say, I am pretty impressed with the results. Once I got the paint gun dialed in, it was actually quite easy.

For the bottom I will be dong the same process.

CasitaInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Looking nice from here.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #23

Florida
Was so excited about how the top half came out that I woke up early today to paint the bottom half. So far this is only the first coat. Still have to sand this down with some 400 grit sand paper and take care of some of the imperfections. I try to let the paint dry for 48 hours before sanding on it just to be cautious. May be able to get the final coat on some time in the middle of the week.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #24

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
You could go swimming in that roof! The paint work is phenomenal.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #25

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
You could go swimming in that roof! The paint work is phenomenal.
Thank you! I'm sure if you saw it in person you could see some of the imperfections in it, but overall I'm impressed as well. I did spend quite a bit of time sanding, but got to the point where I just wanted to paint it. After all it's not a show car lol... Really hard to keep bugs from flying into the wet paint while it is outside here in FL.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #26

Name: Grace
Trailer: Casita 16F SD
Florida
Looks awesome!
CountrysideGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
rig

this is totally ridiculous!!!

by the way what is tipping in the paint world?
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #28

Missouri
I cannot believe you painted that outside!!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #29

Missouri
Paint job

you know what I am too lazy for that!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #30

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
this is totally ridiculous!!!

by the way what is tipping in the paint world?
"Tipping" refers to using just the very tips of the fibers on the end of the paint brush to gently smooth out flaws such as drips, sags or other minor surface imperfections.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #31

Missouri
Your paint job

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaInFL View Post
Sorry I have not been back here lately. Been pretty busy with work and also had Irma came through which messes everything up for over a week.

I finally got a chance to get some paint on the camper last week. I taped everything off and sprayed a light coat on with a harbor freight HVLP paint gun. I waited a couple days for it to dry, then today sanded everything down with a block sander and some 400 grit sandpaper. Blew everything off with the air compressor, wiped it some with some clean rags soaked in alcohol and sprayed another quart of paint on the top.

I must say, I am pretty impressed with the results. Once I got the paint gun dialed in, it was actually quite easy.

I cannot believe you did that with a h/f sprayer. you are a true craftsman!

For the bottom I will be dong the same process.

I cannot believe you did that with a a h/f sprayer you are a true craftsman!! bob
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #32

Missouri
in and out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaInFL View Post
Thank you! I'm sure if you saw it in person you could see some of the imperfections in it, but overall I'm impressed as well. I did spend quite a bit of time sanding, but got to the point where I just wanted to paint it. After all it's not a show car lol... Really hard to keep bugs from flying into the wet paint while it is outside here in FL.
bill are you putting that back in the garage at night?

bob
Old 10-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #33

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Bill!It's gorgeous! I commented to get on the sub list.

Keep taking pics. I have a 2005 Patriot, so, I can't wait to see what you do with it.
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #34

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Quote:
bill are you putting that back in the garage at night?

bob
I can answer that for CasistainFL... No way! Just look at all that stuff in there lmao. It's as bad as mine he's never getting an egg in there.

Glad to know I'm not the only pack rat. Carry on CasistainFL it's looking great!
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:42 AM   #35

Missouri
I think he is a professional car painter!! I had my truck repainted it looks like a kid did it 2200.00 should have taken it to him!
Old 10-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #36

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
I cannot believe you did that with a a h/f sprayer you are a true craftsman!! bob
To get a paint job like this shows it is not his first time out of the gate. My wife has painted cars, trucks etc. but she retired now from that and Upholster, but only do ours now. My wife only painted a few times and never got that good but she did alright job on my truck.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #37

Florida
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the compliments! Some of them had me laughing pretty good.... for the record, I don't think anyone could pay me enough to do this again lol...

I have been super busy with work, and that's the reason I haven't been back lately. So busy that we have decided to cancel the trip in November that we had planned with the camper. No big deal, as we will get to vacation with it soon enough. I did however have a chance to finish painting it today. By the time I was done, it was so dark that I couldn't take pictures. I will take some tomorrow and post them.

To be honest, this is the first time I have ever painted something of this size before. I just took my time and made sure that everything was prepared right. I went through two jitterbugs, countless boxes of sand paper, 4 block sanders, gallons of denatured alcohol, buckets full of rags and a tub of rubbing compound. My father taught me most of what I know and YouTube/internet is also a wealth of information. Patience is key.

The way I got such good results with the paint was 1. To make sure it was prepped very well. Probably 95% of painting is prepping. 2. I practiced on the door and got everything dialed in before moving on to the camper. Not going to lie, I ended up painting the door five times before I was satisfied with the end result. I then used all those same techniques on the camper shell. I then put one final coat on the door when I was painting the shell to make sure the colors matched perfectly.

The reason the garage is so full is because of all the parts and pieces of the camper are inside there. It's my motivation to finish this thing. Get all this stuff out of my garage here soon because I have another project that is due to come back into the garage once it gets a little further along.

I can't wait to no longer have anymore projects, but somehow that never seems to happen...

Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #38

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
I for one want to say great job and good on you to learn patience which is the hardest item for most folks.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #39

Missouri
I do too he can hang out at my house anytime! fantastic job!

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #40

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Great Job! what pressure did you paint at, and did you thin, and if so, what ratio. I have sprayed many of my wood projects, lacquer, polyurethane, and spar varnish, so may try to paint if the gel coat doesn't look good after I put it on and sand it.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita