F150 - Curious - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Currently Researching
Canada
F150 - Curious

Hello

This is a hypothetical question that one day, will hopefully, turn into reality. If I was to tow the not yet release Ecsape 23 with a Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 what is the best engine for gas mileage when towing and gear ratio for towing. Also what options such as trailer brake control, hill decent etc do you recommend.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Michael
mcoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
What is best will depend on how you drive.

The ecoboost engines have great power and as very fuel efficient if you keep them out of boost. That would mean max speed 65 on my 2.7eb with my scamp 19. I assume the 3.5 haS a bit more power before boost and I your trailer will be heavier than mine but not as much wind resistance, so lots of variables.

I tend to drive without much regard for fuel mileage but it still isn’t too bad. Just pulled 250 miles at the speed limit (lots of that at 75mph) and it was less than 3/4 of a tank. I think the tank is 22 gallons.

Even after putting 7500 miles on this trailer and truck combo the main thing I like about it is the power when I have a trailer and the fuel efficiency when I don’t. Because you that has been over 35,000 of the miles I’ve put on the truck.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Ford offers multiple tow packages. The bottom one is a joke, the top one is great.

Payload goes down as the model goes up. Lariat will tend to have lower payload than an XLT.

They also have a heavy duty payload package. On these trucks you tend to run out of payload WAY before you run out of tow capacity. Do your diligence now. Assume dealers will not have the HD payload or the best tow package trucks on their lot.

I have a Lariat now. If I was going to get a new F150, I’d get the 53C towing package and an XLT model. I might not get the HD payload. The 53C includes everything that the lower tow packages include PLUS trailer brake controller, larger 36 gallon fuel tank, upgrades rear bumper and electronic locking rear axle. My guess is the price of the larger fuel tank alone just about covers the additional price of this package. Me the larger fuel tank and brake controllers are a must.

Ford publishes a trailer towing selector. Google it. Never trust the dealer sales person. Do your own research. The person at the dealer wants to slot you into a truck they have on the lot, that may not be your best choice.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
"Ford publishes a trailer towing selector. Google it. Never trust the dealer sales person. Do your own research. The person at the dealer wants to slot you into a truck they have on the lot, that may not be your best choice."
The salesman's expertise is in getting the bottom line signed, not selecting tow packages.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

Texas
I have a 2018 stx with no tow package and it is rated at 5,000lbs. I added a factory trailer brake controller and it was a hassle. But once done it is very nice. It works fine for my scamp, but I will be getting something closer to what thrifty bill suggests next time around.

The extra tank space would be nice, not to mention a bit more towing capacity.

I towed a 24ft airstream without a wd hitch and it was not fun. I didn’t weigh it, but it was too close to the limit for me.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a 2019 Ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 liter V8 , 8 speed transmission , transmission & oil cooler , 3.92 locking rearend , tow / haul mode , hill assist
, integrated brake comtroller , factory class 4 hitch
towing an Escape 21
If we were to purchase an Escape 23 , I would upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck .
For me , if fuel mileage was a huge concern then I wouldn’t own a trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
F150 towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoulton View Post
HelloThis is a hypothetical question that one day, will hopefully, turn into reality. If I was to tow the not yet release Ecsape 23 with a Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 what is the best engine for gas mileage when towing and gear ratio for towing. Also what options such as trailer brake control, hill decent etc do you recommend.Michael
The F150 should have every thing you need except the ball mount, pin, and ball, be sure to ask before you write the check.

I have a 2016 F150 V6 / 6 speed Lariat 4x4 geared for Towing. I have had up to 24 MPG not towing. It was a trip from Audubon, IA to the Mississippi river with a cross wind, upper teens is more common. Thirteen MPG is common towing my 3000 lb. Scamp at 60 MPH and it drops to 11 MPG at 70 MPH.
I have also driven the F150 with the ten speed and got 27 MPG not towing and driving for MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
CURT parts of a hitch.png  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
And the large gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I did a loop from Wisconsin through the mountains to Florida and back through the Mississippi Delta last fall and liked the big gas tank. (Except when filling it twice in one day.)
Attached Thumbnails
13_2703532.jpg  
Old 07-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #9

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I subscribe to a Youtube channel called The Fast Lane (TFL) Truck. They have done some towing MPG tests which should answer your question:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/06/mpg...-listed-specs/

I wouldn't expect to see their tests in a peer-reviewed journal, but it's a baseline.

After the diesels, the F-150 with a 5.0L V8 comes in second to the 6.2L Silverado. They tested the 5.0L option with a 3.31 gear ratio, which is the lowest available in 4x4, but it is still more than sufficient to pull any molded FG trailer on the market and I suspect that the 23' won't exceed its rated 9,100lbs or put you over the 2,000+lbs payload limit.

They test at elevation in Colorado, so the performance of the turbos vs. non-turbo engines is somewhat skewed toward the turbos. In other words, if you tow mostly at sea level, the numbers are even more in favor of the V8.
Justus C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
New 2021 F-150

Ford has been pretty much the same since 2015. They have done a big redesign this year. The two most interesting new features to me are the Hybrid drive and the inverter power station. If they do it right you won't need a generator anymore.

One of the modifications that I am doing on my F-150 is the battery to battery charger. So if I am in the camper and low on power I can remote start the truck ad feed 50 amps at 12 volts to the camper. It is not a generator but it could be real handy.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Registry
F150 inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Ford has been pretty much the same since 2015. They have done a big redesign this year. The two most interesting new features to me are the Hybrid drive and the inverter power station. If they do it right you won't need a generator anymore.
The inverter is only 300 - 400 watts depending on conditions. They installed it for charging things, but I have run a small slow cooker on it many times.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Thats the 2020 version. 2021 is totally different, with much more output from the inverter. 2K to 7.2K watt output depending on the model.

One mistake IMHO that they made with it they did not include a 30A RV plug.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/0...generator.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Registry
WOW, I like this part.

[QUOTE=thrifty bill;785775]Thats the 2020 version. 2021 is totally different, with much more output from the inverter. 2K to 7.2K watt output depending on the model.QUOTE]
( a dog bone adapter would run my Scamp)

The 7.2-kW system really has the potential to be the ultimate camper trailer rig. That 240-volt, 30-amp output is more than enough to run all the systems on a huge camper trailer. The trailer’s air conditioner, fridge and freezer, lights, and just about everything else can be run even while the truck is pulling it, not just when it’s stopped and parked. Don’t need to keep the camper powered? It can also recharge your electric all-terrain vehicles or dirt bikes while you’re driving. And Ford says there’s no impact to the hybrid performance while you’re running and the Pro Power Onboard system is activated.
Attached Thumbnails
6a017ee6664cf9970d0263e952c70d200b-800wi.jpg  
Old 07-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #14

Texas
I just dropped off my trailer in storage and refilled my gas tank. Just a bit over 300 miles and about 20 gallons. So 15mpg at the speed limit (70-75 most of the trip) and in some moderate hills, but with the smaller 2.7 eb and with a lighter, but much taller, scamp 19 with a 6 inch axle lift.

Without a trailer I have no trouble being in the low twenties, with a touch of thought I can get into the mid twenties pretty easily.

ETA: the hybrid certainly looks interesting.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Thats the 2020 version. 2021 is totally different, with much more output from the inverter. 2K to 7.2K watt output depending on the model.

One mistake IMHO that they made with it they did not include a 30A RV plug.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/0...generator.html
Thanks for the link. I was looking for more info on those features. The only down side now for me is it is only available on the 4door high end model, models.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
As a word of caution I would stay away from the F150 coyote 5.0L engine the block was changed in 2018-20 and has plasma bore cylinders rather than standard cast iron cylinder liners, they are having massive problems with heavy oil usage now on these plasma bore blocks, the fixes by Ford have not worked, remapping pvc system, and hilarious longer dipstick with altered marks to hide the oil usage, 2017 and back have the standard cast iron cylinder liners in the block. Ford has managed to really screw up a good engine, its a shame. For added proof go to youtube and search: excessive oil consumption 5.0L coyote. You don't want to get in the middle of a class action lawsuit, vehicles are way too expensive to get involved in something like this, the smart ones have early on traded their F150's in to Ford for a F250 6.7L diesel. Let Ford deal with their junk 5.0L engine blocks.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #17

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
IMHO you can’t go wrong with the Ecoboost motors. For towing 3:55 or 3:78 axle and the larger fuel tank is definitely a desirable option, wish my truck had it.
My 2016 F150 with the little 2.7 EB with 3:55 axle, easily tows my 5.0TA and according to ETI website the new 23 will be about same weight. I’ve done as good as 16 mpg towing on the flat and as bad as 12.5 mpg towing through the Catskills. Not towing I’ve gotten up to 26 mpg. A friend of mine has the same year F150 with the V8 and he’s never seen close to 26.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Currently Researching
Canada
Thank You

Thank you to everyone who posted. I will enjoy reading your comments and suggestions.

Michael
mcoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Are there multiple variations of the 2.7 liter EB engines used in the Ford F150
I have ridden / driven several newer Ford F150s , the 3.5 liter EB was quite impressive but the 2.7 liter EB was not . The 2.7 EB was comparable to the 2.0 liter turbo in my wife’s Equinox, the power / torque just aren’t there IMHO .

** I am not overly impressed with the power / torque of my 5.7 liter Hemi V8 **
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I have the same vehicle that Steve Durham has and I pull our 23.5 Oliver Elite II, right at 5000 lbs. and it has no problems towing and handling that trailer. I'm totally happy with the Ram, I would say one thing here, if you want to tow the Oliver, or other trailers of that size and not use a WDH I would go with the 3/4 ton model in which ever model truck you buy. I have a camping friend who has a new Escape 5.0 and his Ram is setup just like mine and Steve's, he is totally happy with his rig also. I also have another camping friend who have a F-150 2.7 V6, he not that crazy about it, he wishes he would have gotten the 3.5 V6, or a Ram Hemi 5.7L.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape